How do you shop for a PRS?

nicklee13

Reaction score
I went to a local guitar shop to look at PRS guitars and saw that they only have 1 Custom 24 in the shop. They are an authorized dealer and they told me that they can get any PRS guitars but how am I supposed to make an informed decision without even trying them out? PRS offers so many models and options and it's overwhelming to choose to begin with.

How do you pick out a PRS guitar without even seeing them?

mikethebumperman

Reaction score
PRS guitars have superb quality, playability, etc., and their various models all have unique personalities. I find their feel to be somewhat of a marriage of high-end Gibson and Fender models. While some models really appeal to me (i.e., Starla and DTG), others just don't bring any magic to my hands.

I also find the PRS brand to have love/hate relationships with the masses. No doubt their high price contributes to the scrutiny. That being said, I would recommend against buying ANY guitar without having the opportunity to give it a spin drive.

mertzy

Reaction score
Isn't that the whole point with a PRS, they're priced according to how many AAAA's are assigned to the top, not how it sounds or plays ;)

Roman4405

Reaction score
Isn't that the whole point with a PRS, they're priced according to how many AAAA's are assigned to the top, not how it sounds or plays ;)
As opposed to Gibson who charges an extra $1k for binding?

nicklee13

Reaction score
Right now I am trying to decide between an LP or a PRS (Custom 24 maybe?). I have this idea that I am going to purchase a real nice guitar sometime this year.

This is what I have been told. I played the Custom 24 in the store and it played beautifully. The salesman says if play 10 other Custom 24's they will all play like this. Gibsons on the other hand you play 10 they are all going to be different. You have to try out many to find a good one you will like.

I think it's a common belief/opinion out there that PRS has better consistency/build quilty than that of Gibson. However, I like the appearance and design of a LP much better. And this makes the decision kind of difficult because playability is the most important factor for me.

That McCarty is a beauty by the way.

nicklee13

Reaction score
As opposed to Gibson who charges an extra $1k for binding?
Don't even get me started with pricing. Both PRS and Gibson pricing models don't make any sense and frustrates the hell out of me. I think what is happening is a purchase of a guitar is very emotional thing so that they can get away with actually charging a premium on appearance (binding, AAA top etc...).

Roman4405

Reaction score
Right now I am trying to decide between an LP or a PRS (Custom 24 maybe?). I have this idea that I am going to purchase a real nice guitar sometime this year.

This is what I have been told. I played the Custom 24 in the store and it played beautifully. The salesman says if play 10 other Custom 24's they will all play like this. Gibsons on the other hand you play 10 they are all going to be different. You have to try out many to find a good one you will like.

I think it's a common belief/opinion out there that PRS has better consistency/build quilty than that of Gibson. However, I like the appearance and design of a LP much better. And this makes the decision kind of difficult because playability is the most important factor for me.

That McCarty is a beauty by the way.
I think this pretty much answers your question.

Steinmetzify

Reaction score
Your info says you live in Houston....if that's true you should have at least one GC there...I know some people consider them the musical store equivalent of evil, but they've got em in stock. I played a bunch there, and they had all makes and levels from the SEs to Private Stock(used).

Hit em up to get an idea of what you're looking for and then use an accredited internet dealer...there are 2-3 I'd use; pm me if you need info on any of them.

If you're a fan of the LP, check out an SC245 or a Stripped 58; GREAT guitars, man. Good luck!

nicklee13

Reaction score
Oh I checked out the GC several times. I generally don't engage sales people when I check out guitars because quite frankly I don't want to be bothered. As you all know PRS guitars and good LP's are way up there and you have to ask them to try it out. That usually ends up in some kid who knows less about guitars than me trying to convince me I should pick up a 3 grand guitar right there with their financing.

I have tried the SE's and they are quite nice. I didn't have high expectation for them but I thought they are really great for the money. And I know of the SC's. They are great looking.

I don't think I will go with SE's though. I think it's about time I pick up an American made instrument.

Mark C

Reaction score
Except that is not how they rate their tops. Nice try though.

mikethebumperman

Reaction score
I don't mean this with any ill-will, but I'm a little baffled why you would rather ask strangers on the interwebs with their quirky personal biases about guitars in this price range when with a little small talk with a salesman at GC, you could try a whole bevy of guitars. I don't love or hate GC, but NOBODY but my own conscience drives me to spending my money.

I sincerely wish you well and look forward to seeing your NGD post soon.

nicklee13

Reaction score
No offense taken. I appreciate your comment.What you said about GC makes sense. It's really me being weird.:) People say a lot of things about GC but I don't really have a problem with them. I actually bought a Seagull guitar from them a couple years ago.

I wasn't really asking for others' opinions about the guitars. I was curious about how one goes about shopping for a PRS.

mmd

Reaction score
Oh I checked out the GC several times. I generally don't engage sales people when I check out guitars because quite frankly I don't want to be bothered. As you all know PRS guitars and good LP's are way up there and you have to ask them to try it out. That usually ends up in some kid who knows less about guitars than me trying to convince me I should pick up a 3 grand guitar right there with their financing.
regardless, if you REALLY want to go through PRS guitars, try them out, and find the one you like the best....GC is the place to be!! get that kid to take them down, give them a run through, find the one you like, tell the kid you be in touch when you are ready to buy, walk out and then order the one you want from your local shop. i do it all the time.

i view GC as being like the car dealership. i drive cadillacs...i have since the mid 90s. when i buy one, i test drive at a dealer then spec my car on cadillac's website and have it delivered. it shows up with the plastic still covering the fenders and everything....NEVER driven, except off the transport truck. that's how i buy most of my high-end guitars. the exception is gibson since they are not consistent with QC. PRS though? i would feel totally safe doing that.

The Archer

Reaction score
I went to a local guitar shop to look at PRS guitars and saw that they only have 1 Custom 24 in the shop. They are an authorized dealer and they told me that they can get any PRS guitars but how am I supposed to make an informed decision without even trying them out? PRS offers so many models and options and it's overwhelming to choose to begin with.

How do you pick out a PRS guitar without even seeing them?

You don't.

This is why Odin created road trips

kfowler8

Reaction score
I'm a lefty so you'll get no sympathy from me. I never get to try out my guitars before I buy them. Always have to order. :D

Seriously, surprised they only have one. Guitar Center has at least 10 near me. Another Mom and Pop has a bunch as well.

IMO, PRS is worth taking the crap shoot on ordering. They're superb instruments.

The Archer

Reaction score
One plus with PRS...their QC and consistency is second to none. You may not bond with a guitar but chances are the guitar will be pretty much perfect.

Latest Threads