How do you maintain humidity

Devasian

Reaction score
Hi guys!
I have a friend from Japan but his English a bit poor so I'll ask you.
It is quite dry weather in his town this year so he asked me a question if he has to buy a room humidifier.
As for me, I use Oasis (OH-1) for my guitar (but I'm not sure it is the right decision because a high humidity level in the UK is more than recommended 45% (for the guitars and for people)). And I have never used a room unit.
He uses Oasis too but he claims it doesn't help this Winter. The humidity in the room where he keeps his guitar is ~40% and it is not so good.
How do you maintain the humidity? Only special humidifiers or/and room humidifiers? And which ones: warm mist or cool mist? Is there any difference (maybe warm mist is better for some reason or something else).
I've searched for some info but I need advice from real experts.
Thanks in advance!

DADGAD

Reaction score
I use a Boneco humidifier. It’s great.

pnuggett

Reaction score
I'm using this in a small bedroom/music room. It's almost overkill because I run it on it's lowest setting and keeps the humidity around 55%. At that setting it will run for more than two days on one gallon of water. We have very hard water here in Arizona and even though we have a softener I have to use distilled water or it will create a very fine white dust from the minerals. At 89 cents per gallon I'm spending less than 15 bucks a month on distilled water. I only need to use it about 7 months per year.

BTW it's extremely quiet.

Freddy G

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm using this in a small bedroom/music room. It's almost overkill because I run it on it's lowest setting and keeps the humidity around 55%. At that setting it will run for more than two days on one gallon of water. We have very hard water here in Arizona and even though we have a softener I have to use distilled water or it will create a very fine white dust from the minerals. At 89 cents per gallon I'm spending less than 15 bucks a month on distilled water. I only need to use it about 7 months per year.

BTW it's extremely quiet.

Aridist!

six-string

Reaction score
i have used Bionaire brand cool mist humidifiers in the past. i don't use one now because my home has adequate humidity without it.
it is common here in Canada that indoors gets very dry in the winter due to the extreme cold and the central heating on all winter. electric heat is especially bad for drying out and causing static electricity too. on the other hand, summers can be very humid.

here is some good general information about room humidifiers that might help you make an informed choice.

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My acoustic guitars sound best at 30-35% humidity.

I live in AZ and have never had a guitar develop cracks or protruding fret ends in the last 30 years. My house never gets below 20% RH. I keep my acoustics in their cases with humidifiers when the RH gets into the low 20s.

I have a Reli-On evaporative humidifier I use to raise the RH in my "guitar room" when necessary. I can close the door and raise the RH to 60% if I want.

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
It looks like this:

1584367318292.png

jbobb1

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've been using the Vornado humidifier for about 4 seasons. It has kept my guitar room in the mid to upper 30's when otherwise it would be close to the teens

pnuggett

Reaction score
My acoustic guitars sound best at 30-35% humidity.

I live in AZ and have never had a guitar develop cracks or protruding fret ends in the last 30 years. My house never gets below 20% RH. I keep my acoustics in their cases with humidifiers when the RH gets into the low 20s.

I have a Reli-On evaporative humidifier I use to raise the RH in my "guitar room" when necessary. I can close the door and raise the RH to 60% if I want.

I'm in AZ and if the humidity in my guitar room goes much below 40-50% I get fret end issues on at least a few of my guitars.

Howard2k

Reaction score
I have a Honeywell top fill humidifier. I live in Canada so need to run it pretty constantly during the winter.

Bigfoot410

I'll have a sammich!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just trade your gear for toilet paper and fuggetaboutit :)

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Soak your LP in your tub for 29.5 days NO !im kidding ;) -Humidifiers are good for dry climates.

BACzero

Reaction score
I live in the second driest state in the US. Our relative humidity drops into the low 20s during the summer months. I have to admit... I have never used a humidifier for my guitars. Ever. I've still got my very first guitar (I've had it 35 years), and it's never had an issue for being too dry. I'm not saying you shouldn't use a humidifier, I just wonder if it's as big of an issue as some people think it is. I own 3 or 4 acoustics and around 10 electrics, and I have yet to have a problem with humidity (or the lack, thereof), on any of them. Just my two cents, of course.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
In 40+ years of playing and owning guitars, I have never really down anything to humidify them. I did have a whole-house humidifier for 20 of those years. I have never had a problem with any of my guitars.

Latest Threads