How do you jam with MP3’s

Spudnuts

Reaction score
As the title says, how do you jam with MPS’s? What is your method? Do you use your DAW? An ipad? Maybe have the stereo going while plugged into your amp? Sometimes i use my Android tablet to loop the MP3 and i plug into a Marshall One watter. Just want to get an idea if theres a simple easy method.
Thanks

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
I use a tech21 so my rig always runs into a PA regardless. So at home i have my computer and pedal board into a small mixer which feeds into a set of Yamaha studio monitors. Works a treat.

Spudnuts

Reaction score
Sounds like pro equipment, i may have to make do with my Marshall MS 2C. 8 have played around with Jamup on my ipad, i pretty good but its all amp simulation. I guess for just jamming its not too bad. I also checked out the Boss eband J10 it looks pretty good too.

Oldskoolrob

Reaction score
It's all cheap enough gear (and old) but yes, it's a mini version of our bands' stage set-up :)

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
Guitar-->Pedalboard-->Orange Rocker 15 Terror-->Two Notes Torpedo Captor-->Macbook Pro-->Mackie In Ear Monitors. I play in Garageband to be able to use the Two Notes Wall of Sound plugin and jam along to iTunes.

NotScott

Reaction score
For practice, I run audio through my computer with a program called Transcribe!. It plays just about any codec you can think of and allows me to change pitch, speed, setup loops and other features I use to learn my parts or just rock out to some jam tracks. Then I run a line out from the computer into an Atomic Amplifire line input. The guitar goes into the instrument input on the AF. Once in the AF, I can easily mix the levels between my guitar and line in. I get a full, stereo mix for everything and monitor it through headphones so I can practice whenever I want. This setup is efficient and sounds great. I rarely turn on my amps outside of gigs anymore.

CerebralGasket

Reaction score
Back in the day I used to record all my 12" vinyl to cassette tape ( Type II ) to preserve the condition of the vinyl and then use the cassette tapes either at home or on the go. The cassette tapes could then be rewound over and over to learn songs or jam along with on the stereo.

Now I use a DAW on the computer.

Guitar
Kemper Profiler
Focusrite 2i2
DAW (Logic Pro X)
Sennheiser HD 280 Pro Headphones
Yamaha HS 50M Studio Monitors

For backing tracks, I find Guitar Pro files online of songs I want to learn and export the bass and drum tracks as midi files. The midi files get imported into Logic Pro X as separate tracks. EZ Drummer plug-in is used for the Drum track and the EXS24 Sampler is used to sequence the Bass track. I learn the rhythm guitar parts and record the Rhythm Guitar track, then learn the solos and record the Lead Guitar track.

In addition, I condense the songs down to short instrumentals by eliminating repetitive verses.
Intro
Main Riff
Solo
Outro

For mobile use, I have a Blackstar Fly 3 that has a Line-in / mp3 input for backing tracks. I usually bounce the Drums, Bass, Rhythm Guitar tracks to a stereo audio file for use on a retired phone used as an iPod to plug into the Blackstar Fly 3.

Spudnuts

Reaction score
Guitar Pro to DAW, done that one lots of times. Ive just checked out the Blackstar Fly, i think that one will do the trick. Thanks for all of your responses.

Jewel the Sapphire

Reaction score
When I can play along to mp3s I usually use youtube videos and bluetooth to a neat speaker called the tailgater, play along on whatever amp. When I record I hear the track from the laptop daw via cable to the same speaker, and my amp records with usb and acts like a monitor with the headphone jack aux cable or a regular half stack

KP11520

Reaction score
I have an old Vox AD15Vt for practice. 11 amp models and a whole bunch of effects onboard. Volume very low at full crunch too.

I also use my PC with some decent old 2.1 Klipsch speakers and load my .wav files or MP3s into "transcribe" . I can loop, out of phase slow or speed anything, so I can get whatever I'm working on right.

If I'm ready to record my solo over a BT, I use ProTools via my Audio Interface with Amp[litube 3 for my amp and effects.

Spudnuts

Reaction score
Sounds like pro equipment. I also have a Mooer GE200. You can plug in a MP3 player, as i recal it was too much messing around. The Blackstar is a good option and also Jamup on the ipad, you can change the tempo and the pitch.

wildhawk1

Reaction score
MP3s... haven't utilized that in years.

Phone to aux in on one of my solidstate amps and the Internet is my music library.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
I either use a USB stick into my TV (which is connected to my AV system) or I use the Youtube app. I've got a 2x12 cab behind my projector screen and my Marshall head in a handy cupboard just below the screen; makes it quick and easy to play as soon as I have the place to myself.

2x12 installed.jpg

The 2x12 is indicated by the big red arrow in the picture below:
Hidden 2x12.jpg

The Marshall head is in the middle cupboard:
Gretsch 008.jpg

It's a bit 'old school' but I only need one remote to navigate around the song folders and adjust the volume (some MP3s are much louder than others for some reason). If I had to fire up a DAW or get some other devices out and started up, then it would cut into my playing/practising time. This way I can by playing within a few minutes of having the room to myself; like when my wife pops to the local store, for example.

tolm

Bigsby Junkie
Reaction score
I practise / jam along to iTunes using the following:

Guitar >>> Audient ID4 interface >>> iMac running Guitar Rig Pro 5 / AmpliTube 4 >>> ID4 >>> AKG K92 headphones.

But the real amps and pedals come out for rehearsals and gigs.

guidothepimmp

Reaction score
Phone or tablet hooked up to the aux on a THR10. Guitar into input of THR10. Hit play. Rock n roll . Only issue is tunes in different keys. So for jamming.. i group my songs into the same key and tunings so i dont have to change guitars every 3 minutes

Ghostman

Reaction score
I have a Focusrite Scarlett set up with a 3.5mm jack for connecting my iPhone. I plug in, and it's mixed with my heads that are DI through the Torpedo Captor 16. Mix and done. I used to use a Vox Tonelab through a Peavey PV6 mini mixer with the L/R stereo input. Great for playing along in silence since I can use my headphones.

Deek

Reaction score
Somewhat in topic, check out iRehearse - loads any MP3 and allows you to tune, change temp and loop. Cheap too.

I also have been getting tracks from http://www.guitarbackingtrack.com
They have versions of various rock tunes without the guitar track - free. Some are cheesy, some have the real deal, but it is a great way to practice playing so many songs.

Howard2k

Premium Member
Reaction score
I use a Behringer 4 channel USB audio. I route the digital music from my iPad via headphone jack to the Behringer inputs, then plug my guitar directly into the Behringer dry. Then from the Behringer it loops into my MacBook via USB, where I can balance the tracks in GarageBand (which is also my virtual guitar amp). Then I monitor the outgoing stream from the MacBook through the Behringer via headphones from the Behringer.

It also means I can (and do) record all my practice sessions too. I can immediately delete them too of course, but if I somehow played something and thought "That was good!" I automatically have it.

It's also silent (aside from acoustic noise from the Les Paul) since I listen to a mixed stream via headphones. So perfect for an apartment or similar.

chriskoz

Reaction score
Phone or tablet hooked up to the aux on a THR10. Guitar into input of THR10. Hit play. Rock n roll . Only issue is tunes in different keys. So for jamming.. i group my songs into the same key and tunings so i dont have to change guitars every 3 minutes
I do the same thing, but I added a blue tooth receiver I got from amazon so I don‘t have to plug in my phone or tablet.

lancpudn

Reaction score
I'm just getting back into recording after a lay off, Ask KP11520 how bad I am LOL. It's surprising how you easily forget how things work in a DAW. The joys of getting old I suppose :thumb:

The way I record & Jam to tracks is First I download a custom backing track from karaokeversion,It only costs a couple of quid and you can mute whichever track you're playing.

I like to leave the click track in for jamming to keep time . I use my Line 6 Guitarport as my guitar interface played into Reaper DAW using tones from Line 6 Tone library.

I was going to try out/record my AMmoon looper pedal I'd just bought but ran into difficulties with a echo on playback!!! which meant playing over the top of it sounded horrible so I decided to leave it for another day.

1582124895252.jpeg

So as my Bass guitar was handy I decided to jam to Queens 'I want to break free' Here's the good, bad & ugly video recording :thumb: