How Do You Insure Your Guitar Collection?

dscottyg

Reaction score
I’ve never had many things that I’d be worried about being stolen, but lately, I’ve been thinking about my guitars. None are Custom Shop or rare vintage specimens, but they add up to way more than I’d want to spend again. Does anyone have good advice on an inexpensive way to insure them?

mr. rj

Reaction score
never leave your home, never go to sleep, keep an eye out 24/7....all this would not cost a dime for a sense of security!.....joking aside, I would also like to do the same, just never got around to making calls for quotes to brokers. The guy who lost/stolen 200 vintage guitars in a storage unit wished he had insurance also. Its an unfortunate but very real circumstance our precious guitars face. Or maybe inject it with c19 vax so both you and the govmt will know where your guitars are at all times, anywhere on the planet!

Last edited:

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
30.06 and handguns in every room of the house….all revolvers (.357mg)

and we always have our alarm on…my wife is absolutely meticulous about it being on as her job has made her fear our fellow man…

Although where we live in texas people don’t break into houses…as they don’t want a tunnel in their torso

as for my house, we have insurance for the house and a separate policy for $400k applied to non-automotive possessions….I keep it in case a tornado or wind storm wrecks our home and lifts the barrel tile off(it’s a Mexican/spanish colonial home) destroying our furniture and lesters

-chris

Peter M

Reaction score
Typical homeowner's insurance does not automatically cover valuables / collectables that are inside the home. You need to check your policy.

As for protection on the road, my trick for years has been to use generic black guitar cases, i.e. do not advertise you have a Gibson. I can't say it's 100% effective, but I certainly think it reduces the temptation.

Oh yeah, and if you come into my home looking for valuables, you will find one of my valuable Colt 1911's in your face. :welcome:

northernguitarguy

SWeAT hOg
Reaction score
A. Homeowners insurance
B. I live in one of the lowest crime-rate regions in Canada.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Typical homeowner's insurance does not automatically cover valuables / collectables that are inside the home. You need to check your policy.

As for protection on the road, my trick for years has been to use generic black guitar cases, i.e. do not advertise you have a Gibson. I can't say it's 100% effective, but I certainly think it reduces the temptation.

Oh yeah, and if you come into my home looking for valuables, you will find one of my valuable Colt 1911's in your face. :welcome:
I've got a couple of 177 cal air pistols, but that scenario might not go so well:

"OK, so intruder, you need to wait a sec while I break the barrel and load a pellet. Trust me, this is going to sting!"

:cool:

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
ACME insurance......I think it's in the catalog.

8ee83f198a133be21a83d803aaf1e3299dbd4315.jpg

Morlock

Reaction score
The insurance company for my homeowners coverage let me get a rider for jewelry and music gear. I put together a spreadsheet of all my stuff and pdf's of all receipts and emailed them.

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
^^^^^^ This.

Although I live where people don’t lock their homes and leave the keys in the ignition of their vehicles.
I am paranoid enough, because if it’s going to happen to anyone, it’s going to happen to me. Rather safe than sorry.

Thunder Dump

That tickles
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just remember most homeowner's policies will not cover music gear that is used to gig (if you get paid)--even if you have it scheduled. Once you do paid gigs it is a business expense and homeowner's can deny coverage on it. Try one of the major musical equipment insurers. Most will give you $0 deductible coverage for everything you can imagine (theft, fire, water, accidental/vandalism damage--even leaving a guitar behind accidentally at a gig) for about 1-2% of the insured value annually. If you have a significant amount of gear and gig it is the only way to go. Plus, claims won't affect your homeowner's rates.

Latest Threads