How do you handle sales people...

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
I can't remember the last time I was approached by any kind of salesman at home or at work, if ever. I guess the closest thing would be the door-to-door Mormons that hit me up one time. Nice kids actually, and I wasn't particularly bothered by them. I also haven't had a telemarketer call since I stopped having a land line, probably about eighteen years ago now. Not long ago I did have occasion to be at a Harley dealer on a slow business day and I told the first salesman who came my way, "Listen, I don't have any money and my credit sucks ass." Not only did he no longer want to talk to me but the ten or so other salespeople in the place didn't give me a second glance. :laugh2:

I used to have a couple of Mormons who'd come to talk to my Mormon neighbor. When she wasn't home, and I was sitting on my porch with a beer and a book, they'd come over and we'd shoot the shit. I liked 'em, and our conversation got beyond faith quickly.

Very refreshing, actually.

Mark V Guitars

バナナフライング...
Reaction score
I used to have a couple of Mormons who'd come to talk to my Mormon neighbor. When she wasn't home, and I was sitting on my porch with a beer and a book, they'd come over and we'd shoot the shit. I liked 'em, and our conversation got beyond faith quickly.

Been my experience with them as well. In fact, 2 of them saved my life actually, 22 years ago.

GitFiddle

Reaction score
...How do you guys deal with unwanted solicitors?
gun_barney.jpg

Roxy13

Reaction score
I did once have someone knocking on my door during a terrible ice storm. My first thought was she went off the road and needed help. Nope, she was selling religion. I have to say I admired her dedication, but I also thought she must be crazy. These rural roads do not get salted ever, under any circumstances.

E1WOOD5150

Purveyor of Joke Grenades
Reaction score
Whenever the Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons come through the neighborhood, when they knock on the door and ask their inevitable question about my faith, my answer is, "Perhaps I should introduce myself. Hi! Rabbi Menachem Berkowitz. I think my Faith is in pretty good hands, Mazel Tov, y'all!" and close the door,

Fracture

Reaction score
seldom do I receive any door knockers

if I do, I just tell them I'm not the resident
just here fixing the furnace / water heater

Bytor1958

Reaction score
I open the door, say I'm not interested and shut it before they have a chance to say anything.

I'm one rude MF'er when it comes to them. There is a sign at the front of the neighbourhood that say. "NO SOLICITORS".

Unless it's kids selling candy or cookies. Then. it's You got any chocolate?

JesseXGibson

Reaction score
One decided to knock on my door at 7:30 am on a Saturday morning recently (I don’t work til noon on saturdays so I sleep in a bit, and he’s been here twice before) so I answered the door with my trumpet and played complete nonsense for a good 5 seconds then slammed the door. Teach him to f*** with me

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
Funny one to share...I'll keep it as short as possible...this was several years ago. I lived in the country on 2 1/2 wooded acres. My driveway was 300 ft. long, and houses spaced REALLY far apart. Not the kind of place you see door to door salesman, not these days. You could be staring down a barrel.

Anyway, morning after a gig and I had friends in town staying over. I had a dog at the time too. So, we had all went to bed around 3 a.m., and it's Sunday morning around 9 a.m.. Dog starts barking, now we are all awake. I see a newer Escape turning around in my driveway. My singer drove one, and I thought maybe I forgot a L.P. at the gig or something.

I open the garage door (nobody used my front door), and walk out in my sweats. Nope, not my singer. 4 dudes in suites. 3 get out. "Oh hi, you must be Jon". Uhhh, yeah. And you have a fiancé Leslie and daughter Paige?". What do you want? Then I see it....they are f#cking Jehova's witnesses. I can't say I'm proud of what happened next, but suffice it to say they never even THOUGHT about coming back. Basically lit them up, something like this..."so you come here at 9 a.m. on a SUNDAY, my one day off, and wake my entire f#cking family up!? You are lucky I don't let my dog out to bite you mother#cker's and shred you to a pulp! See my neighbor over there, go knock on his door, you will most certainly get a shotgun pointed at you. You want to talk about what you believe in, fine, give me YOUR address. I'm a night owl, so, I won't bother telling you what day I'm coming, but I will show up sometime between midnight and 2 a.m. and knock on YOUR f#cking door, and then we'll talk about religion!". They hightailed it back to their car, and had some notepad there. "You see that notepad, you jot down to not EVER come back to this f#cking address, or you will be in the ER getting your god#amn bite wounds treated after my dog tears you up like a play toy!".

Now the funny part. I walk back in the house, and the fiancé is all "what was THAT about?". Oh those f#cking Jehova witness assholes.....9 a.m. on a Sunday....they won't EVER be back here though, and how the hell they knew our names....."OH..." she says. WHAT!? "Well, they came by earlier in the week and I didn't want to be mean, so I told them to come back another day". LOL. So, I'm pretty much going to hell.

Last edited:

Stevie 202

Reaction score
On a serious note, when sales people, or jehovahs witnesses come to the door im polite. i send them on their way but in a way that leaves them smiling.

Yeah, me too (except I don’t care if they smile or not).

I mostly feel for the poor bastards.

freebyrd 69

Reaction score

Whenever the Jehovah's Witnesses or Mormons come through the neighborhood, when they knock on the door and ask their inevitable question about my faith, my answer is, "Perhaps I should introduce myself. Hi! Rabbi Menachem Berkowitz. I think my Faith is in pretty good hands, Mazel Tov, y'all!" and close the door,

I wrote my reply before I read these. You guys handled it much better than I did. :rofl::rofl::rofl:

freebyrd 69

Reaction score
Yeah, me too (except I don’t care if they smile or not).

I mostly feel for the poor bastards.

I don't deal well with people knocking on my door to sell me shit. I sell cars, I don't knock on their door with the new Ford brochures. I have no sympathy for them. I rarely talk religion or politics with my best of friends, let alone complete strangers, and these days, you never know WHAT someone's actual M.O. is. F#ck em'

SteveGangi

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
... ..... she messaged me an hour later saying when they didnt buy he went jeckyl and hyde. I told her they are trained to basically refuse to hear NO. I remember my dad physically removing a salesman from our home when I was a kid..... one too many comments about a pic of my mom lol.
I'm one of those that start out polite, but it can always go south from there. I HATE having to repeat myself. It brings out my own Mister Hyde. One guy actually put his foot in the door. I promised to cut it clean off if he didn't move it.

kfowler8

Reaction score
I was in medical insurance sales for a while during grad school. Our main target was small businesses. I always tried to be very respectful when calling on a business. I knew some guys who said "A no soliciting sign should never stop you from entering a business." Probably why I wasn't very good at prospecting. I could never pester people.

Home is a different story. The only people I'll listen to are those under 18 who are fundraising. Yes I'll buy your cookies, wreath, or whatever. I will say I don't like the discount cards. Too expensive for little real value.

We have a Jehovah's Witness church right down the street from my house. They canvas our neighborhood all the time. That gets pretty annoying but at least they're quick about it.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I'm one of those that start out polite, but it can always go south from there. I HATE having to repeat myself. It brings out my own Mister Hyde. One guy actually put his foot in the door. I promised to cut it clean off if he didn't move it.
I am having an issue right now.... being a salesman I am constantly being recruited to sell everything... the newest is the THRIVE stuff. 3 or 4 of my friends are constantly on Facebook pushing it and they keep trying to get me "involved" with it. I have looked into it and I have zero interest. I have tried to politely decline but they keep asking. I wantbto tell em I have researched it, its a complete scam, there is zero clinical proof that it works. And I hate the businesses that their main goal is to hire more people.........

from 30 years in direct sales I will offer you guys some advice. If you are approached by a company for a part time job in direct selling, there are a couple of things to look for. #1 is the focus on the product sales or on recruiting new people. If it is a good sellable product that you can make good money selling and EXTRA money by receuiting then look into it further. If their focus is on hiring and BTW we have a product , run......... #2 ask how many people they know personally making a living at it. If they start telling you about the guy in Bermuda who cashes his million dollar a week checks run.........#3 in their advertisement if you see the word SYNERGISTIC or any form thereof......run lol.

Thumpalumpacus

Reaction score
We have a Jehovah's Witness church right down the street from my house. They canvas our neighborhood all the time. That gets pretty annoying but at least they're quick about it.

To you and others repeatedly bothered by JWs, simply tell them you've been disFellowshipped. They aren't permitted to talk to DFJWs and you will be listed at that church as a "don't visit".

Ed B

Reaction score
If they're knocking on my front door. I ignore them. One ring of the bell and they're gone. I've yet to come across a rude traveling salesman.

The closest I've come to losing my cool was with a guy from Power Home Remodeling. I set up an appointment for him to come to the house. Man oh man. Talk about the hard sell. This guy brought in UV lights and window pieces. Demonstrating the quality of their windows. I was shaking my head. He was trying to not take no for an answer. He was a younger guy. Kind of a big goof. He didn't offend me so I just let him go.

I learned a big lesson that night. If any company wants to make sure you and your spouse are present, RUN! :rofl:

Latest Threads