How do people work for others/companies..kind of venting

Hamtone

Reaction score
Everyday i have to cope with a boss who has one foot out the door and both hands on the steering wheel. He is the doom and gloom expert and is totally reactive and not proactive and more or less has put all of our eggs in one basket over the years, and now things are slow again and he is going to cut my pay. Literally he comes in my office several times a day to whine about loosing money being anxious and facing oblivion, its not that I dont understand or empathize with what he is saying but EVERY DAMN DAY FOR 3 YEARS i HAVE HEARD THIS:shock: He never once come into my office and said " damn Im happy as all hell today" Its always frigg'n eeyore.

Everyday I ask myself "self why the fk do we put up with this crap?" I think I would rather be dodging the repoman change all the locks on my apartment rather deal with this while I start my own company. Seriously how do people work for a company for 20 or 30 years and at the end get a frigg'n watch, or a bs 401k plan that went tits up 3 years ago.

In most cases people say " wel I want security in knowing I have a job or the pay or benni's" Every place I have worked has had no security, to take vacation time is weakness, and you had better not get sick. Just the thought of working for a boss for another 20 or 30 years almost makes it seem like an impossible task.

Here are my top reasons for hating working for a company

No control over how much money you make: Lets say I really want to kill it one week, working for someone else it doesnt matter the pay check is the same.

No control over your work hours: I hate having to come into an office Im never late and I dont mind being regimented but I hate being here. What if I felt like working all night long so i could have the day off? Or maybe I want to work 72 hours straight and not work for a week after.

Having someone else constantly tell you how to breath. I hate micromanagement. You hired me to do a job now let me do my job.

Undermining..Usually I have been middle management and the amount of undermining from the boss/owner is ridiculous. Then the boss (after cutting your legs off) wants to know why production or orders are not being followed. "dude last week when I counciled everyone they went crying to you because I was being hard on them, then you came down on me for being a dick" Thanks for that

Putting up with bs and having no power to end it. I hate this one the most, "here is your title and authority but make sure you run everything by me as it is happening in real time so that I continue to use you like a puppet because there is no way you are as smart as me otherwise you would be working for yourself anyway" <<<<<<true statement made how about a fk you :wave:

Why do we as people put up with this? Or is my experience in the job field just been poor? And if its just the typical crap, then why the fk do people do it?

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I do it because I am too lazy to go out and start and run my own business, so I work for someone who is not. I think it is pretty much as simple as that.

randelli

Reaction score
Ham? Do we work at the same company???

Add to that the constant calls from subs and vendors wanting to get paid on a 9 month old invoice, and an absentee boss that no one can find, and you have my current situation.

I have only stayed because I can't find someone who will pay me more to do less. Not really, I have been looking for the last 4 years, but I am paid well and when I get offers they are less than what I have now. Golden Handcuffs??

I am ready to flip burgers just to get some sanity.

vintageJIM

Banned
Reaction score
working for a living is a fact of life for most, and I'm no exception

I wasn't born with a silver spoon & I have to work for 'the man' ..................

just be glad you're not one of the tens of millions of unemployeed; you would be ranting a different rant .........

12watt

Reaction score
We all work for others, even those of us that are self-employed.

I get to do my job, and all of the admin. Work NEVER comes in evenly and, most maddeningly, a lot of clients absolutely LOVE your work, but not enough to pay you on time and without prompting.

If you work, you take sh*t.

I do prefer it, but don't think it is a bed of roses.

Hamtone

Reaction score
working for a living is a fact of life for most, and I'm no exception

I wasn't born with a silver spoon & I have to work for 'the man' ..................

just be glad you're not one of the tens of millions of unemployeed; you would be ranting a different rant .........

Honestly I just want to make my own way and not answer for anything other than what i do. Essentially if he cuts my pay I will probably walk because Im barely getting by as it is, and it will apply more pressure for me to get my company going.

We are good with bills, there is no beef there, its just most mornings i want to play 2 on 6 Russian roulette, and so far I keep getting more click than boom :laugh2:

lucidspoon

Reaction score
Why do we as people put up with this?
That question kind of answers itself. If you're working a job you hate, you're putting up with it for the same reason that you aren't looking for another job.

I had a good secure job 5 years ago that didn't pay great, but it had good benefits, and I knew it would probably always be there. But I knew that I would get tired of it longterm, so I found another job that was much less secure, but paid more and was a lot more in line with what I wanted to be doing. Been doing it for 5 years, and I don't regret a single thing.

I could probably put up with a lot of crap if I was getting paid $100,000+ a year or something, but if I'm just getting enough to pay my bills, I'm not going to spend half of my waking day being miserable.

Hamtone

Reaction score
We all work for others, even those of us that are self-employed.

I get to do my job, and all of the admin. Work NEVER comes in evenly and, most maddeningly, a lot of clients absolutely LOVE your work, but not enough to pay you on time and without prompting.

If you work, you take sh*t.

I do prefer it, but don't think it is a bed of roses.

Oh I know this, and my company (what Im starting to do) puts it all me, which I prefer, if I fk it up its on me. If I want to approach a deal a certain way, I can. If i want to make 5k instead of 10k on a deal just to get it done, its on me.

Jeremiah

The Worst
Reaction score
Damn I feel much better about my place now (just kidding, love my work). I'm sorry you have to put up with that, I do think employers are taking advantage of how bad they know the job market is. We're not going anywhere, right?

DRF

Reaction score
I quit my job of 22yrs in May. I'm not rich or have a diploma and I'm flying by the seat of my pants,I have nothing figured out. Its amazing how fast I fell into "the leisure life style". This has been a great summer. Anybody want to buy a PRS ?.

RichBrew

Reaction score
I'm lucky: I got made redundant last September, found a job this April but quit in July. I've had enough of work/travel; not enough time to play guitars, so I retired 7 years early.

I'm with DRF on this one.

RichBrew

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Reaction score
Another perfect opportunity for a Dilbert strip.

130895.strip.print.gif

PraXis

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I do it because I am too lazy to go out and start and run my own business, so I work for someone who is not. I think it is pretty much as simple as that.

Exactly. My mind stops thinking about work at 5pm. It's a risk, but keeps the blood pressure lower.

Chilli

Reaction score
F#kin' work... I've had my hours cut back to not enough to make a decent living, any new contracts are less money and worse conditions for the same job, and loads of younger hungrier, don't know any better graduates are queuing up for them.

Golden handcuffs are better than the golden finger.

gem12

Reaction score
I do think employers are taking advantage of how bad they know the job market is. We're not going anywhere, right?

I think most employer right now are just exploiting the workers coz of the situation. :slash:
At my work right now we are all considered a "at will" employee ,they can fire us anytime for any reason (isn't that F***UP):slash:.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
i guess my workplace is better than most of yours.i work in a warehouse 4 am till work is done but i get 3 weeks vacation and a week sick time every year.sure,sometimes its hot,and sometimes its really hectic but my boss appreciates what i do and encourages me to use my vacation time.isnt there anything good about your current job?if not its time to start looking foranother one,or start your own company...

Hamtone

Reaction score
i guess my workplace is better than most of yours.i work in a warehouse 4 am till work is done but i get 3 weeks vacation and a week sick time every year.sure,sometimes its hot,and sometimes its really hectic but my boss appreciates what i do and encourages me to use my vacation time.isnt there anything good about your current job?if not its time to start looking foranother one,or start your own company...

As I said I am starting my own company but someone keeps reaching into my pocket whenever I get more cash together to get going. I only have to put up with this until I get a year of cash in the bank :wave:

bertzie

Reaction score
Gotta have money to make money, and most people don't have enough money to start their own business.

rcole_sooner

Beach Bum
Reaction score
Gotta have money to make money, and most people don't have enough money to start their own business.

...or not wiling to take the risk. There are a 1000 excuses. This is the lazy part I was referring to above. I just ain't willin' to put the time in.

Plenty of people have started with nothing, but willpower, and built a business. It is hard.

bertzie

Reaction score
...or not wiling to take the risk. There are a 1000 excuses. This is the lazy part I was referring to above. I just ain't willin' to put the time in.

Plenty of people have started with nothing, but willpower, and built a business. It is hard.

Not being willing to take the risk isn't always laziness. They just may have a lot to lose, and running their own business might not be worth the risk to them.

Would you risk your family home to finance a group of dog-shit jugglers?

Latest Threads