How do I set one of my LP's up for slide ??

rbraad68

Reaction score
OK I have a question? I have been a southern rock kick for the past few yrs. Prob explain why I own 11-12 LP's. I want to set one of these LP's for slide. Is it just a matter of raising the action? When ever I watch this video of Free Bird I notice that he has stuck something across the frets?? I am guessing this allows him to play slide while not raising the action?? Anyone help me out here??

THX Guys.

01.jpg

rbraad68

Reaction score
Here is a better angle to see what i'm talking about. I recon when he is done with the slide work he can just pull that out ? Deff some old school shit right there!!
Untitled.jpg

rogue3

Reaction score
Generally speaking, raising the action works for me, but i like a slightly higher action for bending anyway.

It's high enough to go directly to slide...BUT i have to use the Duane Allman technique of muting strings individually that are not involved with the right hand fingers. Light touch here, works wonders, with enough volume on the amp. just some thoughts. I have morphed to finger technique(i palm the pick) when doing slide. It's just more comfortable. Or pick held with thumb and index finger, remaining 3 fingers for finger picking. Especially nice effect when you pluck only the strings you want to resonate with your right hand.

Then, sometimes i'll revert to pick and palm mute at the bridge for slide. It varies, i don't keep track, i just go for whatever the phrase dictates. Usually short slide segments here.

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
Generally speaking, raising the action works for me, but i like a slightly higher action for bending anyway.

It's high enough to go directly to slide...BUT i have to use the Duane Allman technique of muting strings individually that are not involved with the right hand fingers. Light touch here, works wonders, with enough volume on the amp. just some thoughts. I have morphed to finger technique(i palm the pick) when doing slide. It's just more comfortable. Or pick held with thumb and index finger, remaining 3 fingers for finger picking. Especially nice effect when you pluck only the strings you want to resonate with your right hand.

Then, sometimes i'll revert to pick and palm mute at the bridge for slide. It varies, i don't keep track, i just go for whatever the phrase dictates. Usually short slide segments here.
As I have gotten older i have gone with higher action. The old days of Jackson guitars are gone for me. Everytime I try using a slide it just feels so awkward for me. The slide seems to drag across the frets? Like I am not doing it right or my guitar isn't set up for slide?

rogue3

Reaction score
As I have gotten older i have gone with higher action. The old days of Jackson guitars are gone for me. Everytime I try using a slide it just feels so awkward for me. The slide seems to drag across the frets? Like I am not doing it right or my guitar isn't set up for slide?
Try a lighter glass slide.
I use a light glass slide on my pinkie. Don't press hard, but enough to enunciate the note. Listen to your amp. Amplification means you don't need so much force.
Acoustic is a whole nuther ballgame.

efstop

rude and low IQ'd
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just tune to open D and leave the action alone. Duane played slide in standard tuning, I believe.

smk506

Reaction score
I’m a miserable slide player, but as a huge skynyrd fan I can at least confirm what you’re seeing is pretty much what you guessed, a small piece of wire run under the strings to bump them up a bit for slide.

It works well enough for Gary and it’s a clever way to get that height without dedicating a guitar to it.

rbraad68

Reaction score
I’m a miserable slide player, but as a huge skynyrd fan I can at least confirm what you’re seeing is pretty much what you guessed, a small piece of wire run under the strings to bump them up a bit for slide.

It works well enough for Gary and it’s a clever way to get that height without dedicating a guitar to it.
I just watched a 2015 show he's playing the same SG with the same stic/wire what ever it is right across the first fret. Gotta be a away of raising the action a tad for slide. I would imagine removing it while playing a song would prob take the guitar out of tune... I love lynrd skynrd more now in my older yrs than when i was younger. Definitely going to learn how to play slide. I am pretty bad at it right now but i have plenty of time on my hands to figure it out. :)

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Good luck. I love slide guitar, and even though I’m no slouch of a player I am dog shit at slide.

I’ve bought books, cds, dedicated guitars to it with set up, done YouTube tutorials, everything. Still, there’s something about my brain that short circuits trying to learn that skill.

You slide guys have all my respect, and if you find a technique that unlocks stuff please share! I would love to get over that hump.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Good luck. I love slide guitar, and even though I’m no slouch of a player I am dog shit at slide.

I’ve bought books, cds, dedicated guitars to it with set up, done YouTube tutorials, everything. Still, there’s something about my brain that short circuits trying to learn that skill.

You slide guys have all my respect, and if you find a technique that unlocks stuff please share! I would love to get over that hump.
Yeah I have been trying for years i suck at it too!! I have learned to just use my finger but it's just not the same. I was hoping that it was the way my guitar was set up. I know there is alot of string muting involved thats not a problem i think i just need to raise my strings a tad on which ever LP i decide to set up for the slide...

smk506

Reaction score

For me it’s my hands. I know what I want to do and what it should sound like, I just can’t make it actually happen with any repeatability. There’s one lick I can pull off most of the time, but that’s it. The rest of the time I’m fighting for control muting strings or keeping the slide straight and the pressure right.

One thing I’ve noticed, I do the best with two polar opposites as slide material. A heavy deep socket of the appropriate size for one of my fingers, or a bic lighter. :dunno:

rbraad68

Reaction score
For me it’s my hands. I know what I want to do and what it should sound like, I just can’t make it actually happen with any repeatability. There’s one lick I can pull off most of the time, but that’s it. The rest of the time I’m fighting for control muting strings or keeping the slide straight and the pressure right.

One thing I’ve noticed, I do the best with two polar opposites as slide material. A heavy deep socket of the appropriate size for one of my fingers, or a bic lighter. :dunno:
I've tried glass metal my last experement was part of an aluim seat post i cut a piece off to use as a slide. I'm starting to think slide will never be my thing :( ...

smk506

Reaction score
I've tried glass metal my last experement was part of an aluim seat post i cut a piece off to use as a slide. I'm starting to think slide will never be my thing :( ...

I think it’s akin to learning a whole new instrument.

2Muchgear

Reaction score
Thought I read Gary used a round screw (shaft) to raise his action for slide and then remove it (like Freebird) for the rest of the song.

Not sure my Lester’s would appreciate that shortcut as the fretboard and edge binding would eventually be pretty dented.

rbraad68

Reaction score
Thought I read Gary used a round screw (shaft) to raise his action for slide and then remove it (like Freebird) for the rest of the song.

Not sure my Lester’s would appreciate that shortcut as the fretboard and edge binding would eventually be pretty dented.
Im sure you could something like a plastic strip not sure i would used and kind of metal either. The guy from lynrd looked like he was using what ever he could find to sick in there!!!

Hecubus

Reaction score
It must have been someone else who mentioned the pencil trick. In this article, Gary says he first used a screw driver and them moved to a piece of wire but the real trick was his tuning: EADGGE. I will need to try this out.
https://www.guitarplayer.com/lesson...-reveals-the-unlikely-tricks-behind-free-bird

Edit: Just tried the tuning. It gets the doubled slide guitar sound and really captures the freebird vibe.

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
"We kept playing the chords over and over, until Ronnie figured out some lyrics, and I came up with the slide part. But when I played, the bottle kept clinking against the frets because the strings were too low"

See right there he was having the same problem with the slide hitting the frets. Thanks for this link man exactly what i was looking for. I am going to try this trick see if it helps???

rbraad68

Reaction score

Latest Threads