How do I learn about my old Les Paul?

durango747

Reaction score
Hello, I have a pretty cool LP that I bought used about 28 years ago for $325. I've probably only played 40 guitars in my life but from the first strum it was, and is, the best sounding guitar I have touched. It just sings forever, even unplugged. I've always known it was kind of an odd (black) bird because it has elements of a Studio, Standard and Custom. In all this time I never new the model name. Until last week I found out that it is likely a mid 80s Studio Custom. So, I have a cool guitar that needs new frets (maybe pots) and a serial number. How can I found out more about the details and production history of this guitar?

bungle

Reaction score
Those Studio Customs are pretty cool guitars. Was thinking of grabbing one that was for sale locally but it was pretty much a clown burst. I believe these came with the highly regarded Shaw pickups. :photos:

kakerlak

Reaction score
If the S/N is gone, you might be able to get within a year or two off the pot dates (if they're original). OTOH, I'm pretty sure they only made those Studio Standards and Customs for a year or two in the early-mid eighties. I don't recall exactly when, off the top of my head, though. So you can at least be sure of a ballpark age for it.

judson

Reaction score
i will go out on a limb and say if you post some pics here, include cavity pics, and serial numbers or any markings if possible , and keep in mind there is no such thing as too many pictures......you will get alot of very knowledgeable posts

these guys here are amazing...best on the net for Gibson knowledge and others

if you dont agree, tell me where anyone can find better answers then? :dunno:

mgenet

Cheese Burger = Earth
Reaction score
i will go out on a limb and say if you post some pics here, include cavity pics, and serial numbers or any markings if possible , and keep in mind there is no such thing as too many pictures......you will get alot of very knowledgeable posts

these guys here are amazing...best on the net for Gibson knowledge and others

if you dont agree, tell me where anyone can find better answers then? :dunno:
Plus One.

:photos:

integra evan

Reaction score
You learn about your old Les Paul by posting photos here. :dude:

Leumas

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I had a studio standard, a cousin of what you’re talking about, for about 10 years. Great sounding guitar but a few things I couldn’t get along with. It’s most likely made between 86 and 88 but some pics would help.

I think they’re f’ing awesome for the record, so much to love, but a few construction choices made it hard for me to live with as a daily player.

Platte City Paul

Reaction score
You learn about it by talking to it. If all you do is play around on it, it'll think you don't respect it and you'll never develop real rapport.

Pics? ;)

jvin248

Reaction score

Before you replace all the pots ... make sure you measure their actual kohms -- pots 'n caps alter the guitar output even when dimed.. Pots have a 20% tolerance range and it matters from dark to bright. Measure the caps too as they can muffle or let clarity through too.

If you get a refret ... spring for the extra to get Stainless Steel and you won't need to replace them again.

Then, whatever you find out about this guitar ... write all the details on a 3x5 card, including the replacement upgrades, and stick it inside the control cavity. That way not only you remember what's in there, but the next owner/family member will benefit too. You might even include an extra note of what this guitar has played, what adventures it went with you on, and other personal provenance items. How cool for someone to open the guitar in fifty years and see the old notes? Time capsule.

ctkarslake

Reaction score
I have a similar model, a 1986 Studio Standard in Ferrari Red. The Studio Custom, your guitar, is a bit fancier than mine. Gold hardware, 7 ply body binding.

They were made from 1984-88, something like that. They were discontinued due to the fact they ate into the sales of Standards and Customs. They are fantastic guitars made in what I feel is a golden age for Gibson, mid to late 80s. Another nice thing these guitars share with the Standards and Customs of the time is THIN neck binding, similar to 50s vintage models. In 1990 Gibson doubled (aprox.) the thickness of the neck binding on Standards, Customs.

Hard to believe your guitar has no serial number. Has it been removed? Maybe there never was one? Maybe the guitar was stolen once and it's identity hidden by removing the serial number?? Pics please!

Rock & Roll Hawk

Reaction score
Hello, I have a pretty cool LP that I bought used about 28 years ago for $325. I've probably only played 40 guitars in my life but from the first strum it was, and is, the best sounding guitar I have touched. It just sings forever, even unplugged. I've always known it was kind of an odd (black) bird because it has elements of a Studio, Standard and Custom. In all this time I never new the model name. Until last week I found out that it is likely a mid 80s Studio Custom. So, I have a cool guitar that needs new frets (maybe pots) and a serial number. How can I found out more about the details and production history of this guitar?
Just post a bunch of pictures on here of the guitar. You should get some great feedback - without the serial number it will be hard to lock down the specific year but you should be able to get close.
Good Luck!

Last edited:
Reaction score
Can you post a couple of pics?

waxout

Reaction score
Hmmm, seems like we'd all like to see some pics! LOL ✌

blues4jesus

Reaction score
No serial numbers on it?? You can look the pots up by date I think..Ive not had luck calling Gibson nd getting help. Chicago Music Exchange Or Norms would be a more likely source. Good luck

mudface

Boo Bee
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
One and out poster?:hmm:

jk60LPTH

Reaction score
He certainly has a wonderful economy with his words

Latest Threads