How did you save for your Les Paul(s)?

P-90GoldTop

Reaction score
I worked and saved for a couple years to buy my first LP in December of 1971.

JM2112

Reaction score
I played classical most of my life. I did play some electric briefly using a relative's SG they were not playing when I was in high school but went back to just classical. So, I never bought a Gibson until 2011.

Like anything else, I avoid debt and buying/doing unnecessary things as much as possible while saving my money. It's paid off in the long run. I have not had a mortgage since I was 46, I have not had a car loan since the 1990's, the credit cards get paid off every month. I pay cash as much as possible. Now at the age of 50 I can pretty much do what I want and not worry about the cost. I still save like crazy though, it's a habit.

Have FUN

Reaction score
I didn't. It cost me nothing. It was a gift. Consequently, I have little respect for it. Slap it around. Make it watch when I play the tele. Sad, really.

p708611717-4.jpg

I like this finish, congrats

Nard

Reaction score
I eventually got myself a well paid job and bought a Strat. After about seven or eight months I realised that was a mistake and part exchanged for a LP. I'd always wanted one from when I was a kid and had owned various copies so why the hell I bought a Strat I'll never know. Must have been an early 90's thing.

riffhard

Reaction score
The only loan I took in my life so far was for the apartment.
Everything else I only buy when I have the money.
If I don't have the money I can't afford it. Simple as that.
Although I already had the money for it when i bought my LP Studio back in 2011 I was pretty exited spending that much on a guitar. :)

linkpro

Reaction score
I worked two part time jobs in college. Stayed to work during summer. Then I bought my Les Paul in December.

Having a dad who is the 1% helped a bit too.

mobidevjc

Reaction score
I eventually got myself a well paid job and bought a Strat. After about seven or eight months I realised that was a mistake and part exchanged for a LP. I'd always wanted one from when I was a kid and had owned various copies so why the hell I bought a Strat I'll never know. Must have been an early 90's thing.

I kept my Strat, which I still play, but I do so like the LP.

Billy4269

Reaction score
I'm only 19 and I still live at home, the only things I pay are my phone bill, gas for my car, and subscriptions for things like netflix,spotify etc.. I make around $500 a week, and I really don't spend money on that many things, so saving up isn't too hard for me.

When I made less money when I was in high school and my first year of college (around 150-200$ a week), it was a lot harder to save up for a gibson.

I never thought it would be possible to get a gibson. Never thought i'd even own a regular usa standard les paul. I decided to just start putting as muhc money aside as I could, and about two months ago I bought one of my dream guitars which is a lightly figured cherry burst r8, and then last week I bought my #1 dream guitar, an R9 in an iced tea burst with a nice flame top.

naveed211

Reaction score
Honestly, when it's come to guitars more than a few hundred dollars, I've always used credit or payments plans. Never ran into trouble paying them off, but I got into this guitar/gear buying game after I had secured a decent job.

Otherwise, I just sell/trade what I have toward other guitars as my wants change.

Telechamp

Reaction score
You did the right thing. Those Vettes are fun, and frankly, a lot of bang for the sports car buck, but when **** starts breaking on them, and it will, they get expensive fast. Looks like you did very well with the proceeds.

I've got a '98 Vette, and yep, when things start breaking on them, it ain't cheap.. Mine's been in the shop a lot lately, and I'm starting to get to the point where I'm contemplating getting rid of it..

Not there yet, but one or two more expensive repairs, and I just may be there..

IMG_1804%20copy_zps4iowmjyx.jpg

TonyR

Reaction score
I bought my first LP in 1977. It was a brand new 1976 Goldtop Deluxe w/HSC. It cost $450. I think I traded in a 1950's Fender non-pedal steel and $200 for it. The $200 was from selling a 1969 Fender Princeton Reverb to a friend. I had two and didn't need both. No lie, but back then who knew? This is the short list of sales regrets...maybe I should start thread.

shupe13

Reaction score
50-60 hours overtime a month for 4 months. After bills were paid and any "surprises" were taken care of, I squirreled away the rest. Doesn't sound like much, but I'm still tired.

ant_riv

Reaction score
Sugar mama!

Life is good!

But seriously, commitment to education, decent job, and understanding and supportive wife.

Brian Krashpad

Reaction score
I make extra money teaching Nick Jonas how to play guitar.

With that kind of money...

you could buy a couple picks.

In my case, it wasn't a question of saving up, more like trading up.

Slowly, over time, I bought affordable guitars that would nevertheless be perfectly usable/giggable. Always focusing on trying to get good deals, either buying used or model closeouts if new. Eventually, Musician's Friend put a P-100 LP Special on closeout for $499 brand new. Sold a couple of my other less expensive guitars, and voila.

Moefest04allSmall.jpg

Same story with subsequent Pauls. I stick to the less expensive ones, generally, I like Specials/Juniors anyhow, so it's a good match. Most I've spent is $750 USD for a pristine Les Paul Classic w/ohsc.

Pulp Les Paul

Reaction score
I bought my first gibby at 29 years old.
I have to admit I got the luck that my family can lend me the bucks and then I easily pay them month to month.
Its way better to pay every month for a guitar that you already can enjoy than saving for a guitar that you will have in a year.
Also I work hard every day.
Im paying my second now and alreadyy thinking on a third.............................xD

Latest Threads