How can I open my case, lock doesn’t work, number unknown

wildhawk1

Reaction score
Off topic, but what is the point of locking a guitar case? Maybe to keep kids out, but that's it????

PRS gig bags have a small velcro pocket on the back near the top.

It contains a hook on a short chain allowing the owner to hang their guitar up in a closet like a suit.

Prefer that over a double wide suitcase with a pretend lock.

DarrellV

What's up, Doc?
Reaction score
All the best cowboys have Chinese eyes.

1_1_059_lg.jpeg

Yup! Who gets it!:laugh2:

Reactions: Who

tokairic

Reaction score
ANY IDEAS?
ANY SECRETS which could help me?

Of course I can brake it open....but the case is in mint condition, and also for a really rare custom shop shaped guitar....not a Les Paul ;)

You could try applying light pressure to the sliding catch button (as though opening it) and turn the dials slowly one at a time until you feel a 'notch', starting with the one furthest from the catch button. When all three are 'notched' the case may open.
I have opened many cheap combination padlocks this way without knowing the numbers.
And no I am not a burglar.

vintageguitarz

Reaction score
View attachment 297714

Ahmmmmm.....ok, so the day before yesterday I bought 3 Gibsons, one from the Custom Shop art and Historic branch. I would also like to show it to you and play it, but I can’t, because the number lock does not open....upsi

ANY IDEAS?

THANK YOU very much for ANY help, cheers, Alex

Use the "Universal Guitar Case Key" = a Screw Driver. But... gently ;)

stock-vector-vector-image.jpg

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm not sure if I should find this interesting or be appalled that I have a body part that looks like the brain of one of the most unevolved, primitive creatures currently on the planet, lol!
That's OK Roxy, men are often described as only thinking with our penis,..............i wonder what animal has a brain shaped like a penis:hmm:

I bet it's unevolved too...........:D

Geronimo

Reaction score
View attachment 297714

hello and good evening,

Ahmmmmm.....ok, so the day before yesterday I bought 3 Gibsons, one from the Custom Shop art and Historic branch. I would also like to show it to you and play it, but I can’t, because the number lock does not open....upsi

The guitar is used, built in 2007 or so...I don’t know for sure, but the case is from this period....if this helps somehow....So I bought the guitars and closed the cases, and stupid as I am, I did not pay attention on which number the 3 wheels were standing, I promise I will do in future. lesson learned!

This morning I wanted to open the case, but the lock did not snap open. So I looked at the 3 wheels and set them all on 0....nothing happened.

So I tried

Etc....but without success

But, when all wheels are on 000 at least the gold square button moves to the left, but the latch doesn’t move....so perhaps the secret number is 000 but the lock is broken? IDK

ANY IDEAS?

Of course I can brake it open....but the case is in mint condition, and also for a really rare custom shop shaped guitar....not a Les Paul ;)

Perhaps drill somewhere a small hole or something like this?

Geronimo

Reaction score
51D4934F-909A-4040-860D-FB8FE870A73C.jpeg
View attachment 297714

hello and good evening,

The guitar is used, built in 2007 or so...I don’t know for sure, but the case is from this period....if this helps somehow....So I bought the guitars and closed the cases, and stupid as I am, I did not pay attention on which number the 3 wheels were standing, I promise I will do in future. lesson learned!

This morning I wanted to open the case, but the lock did not snap open. So I looked at the 3 wheels and set them all on 0....nothing happened.

So I tried

Etc....but without success

But, when all wheels are on 000 at least the gold square button moves to the left, but the latch doesn’t move....so perhaps the secret number is 000 but the lock is broken? IDK

ANY IDEAS?

Perhaps drill somewhere a small hole or something like this?

Just last night I had to change a latch for my buddy who forgot his combination. I ordered one from eBay for $20.00 and it took me about a half hour to pry open his old one and install a new one. I told him if he pulls the red flag out, it will explode

Reactions: Who

Roxy13

Reaction score
I left the red flag in one of my cases. Should I croak why cause family members problems with not being able to open it.

jamman

Reaction score
The f
If you"d ever done it, you'd know this is false.
I don't know why, but the piece of paper works. I thought it would interfere with being able to feel it, but it isn't so.
BTW, I've been a bicycle mechanic and have popped dozens of bike locks where the owners have lost/forgotten/never knew the combination. I also have a lock in my home that is too easy to reset when open and I've had to pick it 2-3x/week.
Fact is ,I was , for 23 years a locksmith ( in NYC) . I've opened many more locks them you could ever imagine . From these types to , money chests . . So J know exact what I am talking
about .....
I will not post openly how do things as this . But if the OP had pm'd me I would have given him details on how . For this very simple type of locking device . If you needed to use a piece of paper to "feel" what was happening with this type .... .I don't and find it funny after( you've stated) opening so many as you say you , you still need it . That's more of , just being comfortable using that method than anything .

Latest Threads