How blown away will I be?

ajwain

Reaction score
I was really impressed when I went from a standard to a custom shop instrument. I think the overall fit and finish is big jump up in quality. The feel of the guitars is so much nicer to me. The necks are incredibly comfortable and feel much different in hand to me.
My personal impression is these instruments are more resonant and sound nicer with more clarity from the pickups.
I know a lot of people don’t think it’s worth the price difference and that’s completely fine. You may end up feeling the same. For me though, I was impressed. I love the custom Les Pauls and think they are wonderful instruments.
More resonant generally because they tend to be lighter in weight. This feels really nice against your body and in your hands when you play them acoustically. Of course, this makes little or no difference when you’re amplified.

Tollie

Reaction score
I have heard that the custom shop get the lightest mahogany bodies. I have an R7 and it is lighter than my other Les Pauls by two pounds. That is a huge difference and makes it a joy to play since I only play guitar standing. The light weight and the way my R7 sounds have earned it the top spot in my collection and it immediately became my number 1.

It’s the only R7 that I have ever played though, so my experience is limited.

https://flic.kr/p/2nAaPts

searswashere

Reaction score
There’s also the beauty of resale. I dont lose money selling historics. Out a bit on the studios and standard I have sold.

Law of diminishing returns applies. Managing expectations applies.

The first R9 I ever tried didnt blow me away (99). The second one didnt either (2016). My 2021 however feels like the complete package.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I personally don’t think they sound much better. Sometimes a fender squire can sound damn good too!

The reissue/historic stuff generally has more attention to detail, nicer woods, finer fretwork, better set up and all the extra little things that make the feel and playability better. The “beat my guitar up” relicing, well no, it’s not worth another $2000 in my opinion on top.

This extra attention to detail is noticeable because often the base USA and custom shop Gibsons are behind other premium makers in quality control, in general.

Is all that worth $6000-8000? Well not to me. But that $3500-4500 range maybe. There is something special about them.

dawgfanjeff

Reaction score
I own a super flamey 2010 R8 and a 2007 Studio. Both are fantastic, but obvs different. R8 sounds and looks amazing. Fit and finish are top notch...But at 4x the price.
I have lots of guitars and tend to play them in burts...I am playing the studio alot right now, mainly for its versatility. I love the 59 style neck, but I am not picky about necks at all (I love my charvel and stats, neck, too).
I DiD swap pups to Pearly Gates and did a solderless JP kit, and it's super versatile. With bridge split, it's Sweet Home Alabama stratty. So, that's my suggestion, get a c.s. model for it's top end Lester qualities and a studio for a project...and those open mics where it might spend some time out of site.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
That’s why even as low as $3,800 I haven’t pulled the trigger; the degree of difference from my 2017 Standard just wasn’t enough to justify the price for me.
That's how I was for a long time as well. Played a CS of some sort on and off when I went to my decently stocked local dealer for nearly two decades. Means your Standard is a real good one.

When I started actively looking it still took a couple years to find a top shelf CS.

The thing I should have mentioned earlier is the player and how they relate to the guitar. Neck size is maybe the most important for your hands. Not only for comfort and effect on tone, but also how you interact with the guitar.

Even very small nuances in your personal playing style are more transparent in your final sound with a good CS guitar. Once you get a feel for the guitar you know when and what it will do with a certain touch. This doesn't happen for me on my other guitars. So you develop a style, a way to interact with that particular guitar to reveal tone and make you both sound amazing.

I never really understood what guys meant when they said they did or didn't bond with a guitar. When I found my R8 I knew. It didn't fully reveal until I had played it for a couple weeks, you have to develop the relationship, it'll be there to a good degree when you find the guitar though.

I guess my point is that for the longest time I though that guitars were more like a keyboard, you hit a button and get a result. Now I'm to a point to where depending on how I strike a note I can make vowel sounds and control tiny harmonic undertones at will. I'm not the greatest player but I can do it reliably, where when I listen to the greats I assumed those little details in tone were accidents in technique only captured in one remarkable take with analog gear.

No, those guys had those guitars specifically for that ability and like I eventually found out, it is at will once you know what the guitar is capable of.

drivers1959

Reaction score
HI All,

My LP is a 2010 Studio, modded with 50's wiring and a PUP upgrade. I like the guitar a lot. I own 4 electrics (PRS Vela, Fender EJ and Tom Anderson Classic Icon). I am yet to play an R8 or R9 but I feel one of them will be coming my way at some point. My question is how much better are they in reality? Sure I know there are variances and not all R8's or 9's are necessarily great guitars but assuming I go and play a bunch of them, just how much better are they in general than what I have? Will I be blown away?

Thanks All,

Dave.
only you will know if you are blown away by playing one..its not for others to dictate how you will feel..only you will know that....sometimes you play one and know its truly a special guiatr and amazing guitar..but they also have many different price points in terms of cost as im sure your aware..custom shop models are the best of the best..but its not to say you cant find a lower price point guitar that you absolutely love some people love epiphones at a much lower cost... its all subjective and personal my advise..go and play a few different ones in a store in your area if thats possible and hopefully you will find the one of your dream

2Muchgear

Reaction score
One man’s blown away may not be another man’s blown away.

My first LP was a ‘91 Studio, it was and is a great guitar, although the OEM 57 Classics were replaced with BB1&2. I now have 7 Custom Shop guitars/reissues. All very nice, excellent really but have never felt ‘blown away’ by going from the Studio to any one. I’m probably not a good enough to realize any differences that are that small/great.

Enioy, play loud!

Dilver

Reaction score
Historics are great. But they’re not magical. Some need a little work to get them to play their best and that‘s okay. Of the four guitars you currently own, which one do you play the most? Comparing an EJ Strat to an Historic is apples and oranges. But compared to your LP Studio, I think you’ll notice a pretty drastic difference in an R8 or R9.

integra evan

Reaction score
Being blown away is definitely subjective, and a guitar at any price point can blow your mind.
For example, a used $280 Squier Classic Vibe Strat that I found at GC completely blew me away when I picked it up and played it, and I had to take it home with me. Another example, and this may be a good example for you, I sold my old 95 Studio with Sheptone PAF pickups and 50's wiring to a guy who had a wall full of Historics, vintage Fenders and a plethora of Standards - he said my Studio played just as well and sounded just as good as his Historics (and I'm not gonna lie, it was an awesome Studio).

That being said, my R9 was definitely worth the money, 100%. The feel, playability, looks and sounds are all outstanding, and it feels like an expensive instrument. Every time I pick it up and play it, I always say to myself, "this is an absolutely amazing guitar." That type of inspiration is hard to put a price tag on, and only comes with certain guitars that just work for you.

geezbill

Reaction score
You will find everything is better on it. Weight, balance, finish, fretwork, playability, sound, sustain. Hopefully you wont gripe about the thick neck because that's part of the magic

Thundermtn

Reaction score
That is true, but even a top 1% Studio won't have the finer points. Gibson uses certain things to hit a price point for an affordable good sounding guitar. It can be an amazing guitar still.

The big differences I can tell? It is a hand selected blank, with a non-Nashville ABR-1, with clear and transparent pickups. They're hard points that do make a difference you can feel and hear.

searswashere

Reaction score
Also worth noting that historics have seen lots of changes since they started in 93. A 2021 wont be the same as 2016 wont be the same as a 99 wont be the same as a 94.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Unlike women, I treat my guitars like whores, and I don’t feel bad about it. But…it’s more of a Richard Gear, Julia Robert’s sort of relationship…..

AJK1

Reaction score
HI All,

My LP is a 2010 Studio, modded with 50's wiring and a PUP upgrade. I like the guitar a lot. I own 4 electrics (PRS Vela, Fender EJ and Tom Anderson Classic Icon). I am yet to play an R8 or R9 but I feel one of them will be coming my way at some point. My question is how much better are they in reality? Sure I know there are variances and not all R8's or 9's are necessarily great guitars but assuming I go and play a bunch of them, just how much better are they in general than what I have? Will I be blown away?

Thanks All,

Dave.
Well I am, I now own 4 Gibson Custom Shop guitars and after owning/ playing them I can safely say I would never have the urge to buy a USA prod Gibson

bluesoul

Reaction score
I am in the camp where once you go historic you won't go back! However, blown away? Depends what makes your socks go up and down. A studio or production standard etc can play just as well and sound as good (propper set up, fret work, pickup upgrade etc). So from a point of function, I have never been "blown away".
Feel.... Quality....Looks...finishing detail....that is the biggest difference for me.
I would say once you factor in all things...it's hard not to love the things! 8 times loving for me :)

gevalt

Reaction score
More money doesn't always mean better. I've played some bad reissues. They exist.

The idea that the binding, the routing, the lacquer, the "quality"....will mean anything to you....is purely subjective.
You will not feel or hear the "increased quality" when you play it. You will hear what it would be with or without that Custom Shop touch; It's either a great LP with makeup and curls, or a great LP that just rolled outta bed.
Since you own a good sounding Gibson, a great amp will improve your tone 10x that of a second LP. I just got a handwired Fender clone and I can't believe I didn't go all analog sooner. My studio with Dimarzio super distortions is 10x the guitar through this amp. The past few months, I no longer want an R9.

searswashere

Reaction score
I run historics and flagship digital modelling. I am only wanting more funds (some CS jazzmasters would be nice) and a few bands to play in.

Latest Threads