How blown away will I be?

DMMKLP

Reaction score
HI All,

My LP is a 2010 Studio, modded with 50's wiring and a PUP upgrade. I like the guitar a lot. I own 4 electrics (PRS Vela, Fender EJ and Tom Anderson Classic Icon). I am yet to play an R8 or R9 but I feel one of them will be coming my way at some point. My question is how much better are they in reality? Sure I know there are variances and not all R8's or 9's are necessarily great guitars but assuming I go and play a bunch of them, just how much better are they in general than what I have? Will I be blown away?

Thanks All,

Dave.

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Head to music villa. They have a great selection. Speak to the guy with the flat bill hat.

Der_Kaiser

Reaction score
If you’ve ever gone from an epiphone to a Gibson then it’s a similar idea.

Not as pronounced but in my mind it’s a clear step up from a USA model.

Whether you will be blown away or not, I don’t know I am tempted to say probably not it’s the law of diminishing returns. It’s a better guitar but not mind blowingly so.

I’ve had my R0 60th anni for around 6 months now it’s a fantastic guitar and it’s still surprising me, but it hasn’t made my USA Les Paul’s obsolete.

Thundermtn

Reaction score
They're sort of like other lines, but in general the poorer examples will have a much improved baseline for quality/tone/playability.

For me personally I would never drop that much $ on a guitar that I didn't get to hands on play. So when it was time for a NICE Les Paul I went on several safaris. It took a few years to find one that I KNEW was better than almost all the CS and vintage guitars I had played and was discernibly better than my also very carefully selected USA LP.

It is so good that I have several stage played and recorded, sentimentally important guitars and very very good guitars that I almost never touch now. It's insane good, the only thing I ever played that I liked more than it was a '60 burst that cost as much as my house.

A lot of the CS guitars I played weren't as good as my cherry picked USA too.

If you spend the time and do it right, you'll find one that you'll truthfully believe is irreplaceable. The rest of what you already have may as well be firewood, if you find it. It might not happen fast but when you find it, you'll know.

Or you can also shop the top and have a pretty dang nice Les Paul that cost a bunch of money.

Last edited:

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My R4 is one of my best guitars. Fit, finish, feel.
My new CS Fender is another one of my best guitars.

I never thought I would ignore my '19 Standard... but I haven't even touched it since getting the R4 last May.

Knoby

Reaction score
Probably not as blown away as this guy....

Sorry. I don't have a serious answer but i couldn't resist. Best of luck in your search for tone.

ajwain

Reaction score
As Thundermtn says, take the time and audition every CS instrument you can get your hands on. It took me 20 years to find a reissue Les Paul that I felt was worth the upcharge.

His post makes a lot of sense and is very good advice.

cmjohnson

Reaction score
An R8, R9, or R0 is really the only range of Gibson Les Pauls I'm interested in buying...but not at their list price. I typically make my own guitars and the LP I have now compares well to any Gibson LP I've compared it to yet. But I want to give an R9 or R0 a chance. The R8 probably has a too chunky neck for my tastes. I prefer a slimmer profile.

ajwain

Reaction score
An R8, R9, or R0 is really the only range of Gibson Les Pauls I'm interested in buying...but not at their list price. I typically make my own guitars and the LP I have now compares well to any Gibson LP I've compared it to yet. But I want to give an R9 or R0 a chance. The R8 probably has a too chunky neck for my tastes. I prefer a slimmer profile.
R8s an R9s are predominantly hand finished, so their neck profiles do vary. You’re right though, R8s typically tend to be a handful, but you might surprise yourself as to how quickly you grow to love it. If you’re looking for something that sets them apart from the USA models, then the neck profile is a good start.

I do think that it’s a mistake to limit yourself to a particular range of Les Pauls. Play anything and everything you can; eventually a guitar will choose you rather than it being the other way around. When you find that one, it may or may not be a Custom Shop reissue….

Bryansamui

Reaction score
I've found ( as a general rule) my Gibson custom Shop pieces have been the best instruments followed closely by Japanese copies ( Tokai, Momose Navigator etc ) Behind the Japanese Instruments are the regular Gibson Production..That said ,all 3 of these productions can have examples that don't follow my rankings.

1allspub

Reaction score
Being “blown away” is very subjective and also relative to what else you’ve played and/or been exposed to. As was said above, CS guitars generally start with a better baseline. If you are someone like me who is very enamored with vintage Bursts but will NEVER be able to afford one (nor probably ever even touch one) then the experience of holding and playing your first RI is something to savor (especially with the newer ones which are the closest approximate to a “clone” of the original Bursts that Gibson has done to date) because it’s the closest you’ll likely come to experiencing what a 50s Burst was/is like.

I am a big fan of “the experience” of things... not just the practicality of things. So I pay attention to things, and “absorb” things during experiences that others may not... especially if they are just looking for an outstanding instrument for the sake of the instrument. Perhaps others do this as well (can’t get inside their heads to know), but picking up a RI the first time for me was a very nuanced experience... because I wanted it to be! I wasn’t just experiencing and evaluating how it played, but also how it was built and taking note of, and appreciating, the differences (sometimes small) between it and regular USA LPs both from a construction and an aesthetic perspective. I dig the smallest of details and enjoy(ed) discovery them. But again, I wanted to savor the “experience” and I wanted it to be an experience. If you’re just someone who grabs an expensive guitar and expects it to “blow you away” without being someone who appreciates the finer (sometimes exceedingly fine) details, it may well not. Just sayin’....

The interesting thing is, we as humans can become very quickly accustomed to “the finer things in life”. ;) It really doesn’t take us long to get over how well something is made or how unique it is or how much effort is put into even the smallest of details. IOW, we get jaded pretty quickly... but perhaps the more telling/interesting thing to pay attention to (after playing and/or owning a RI for a while) is whether going back to a Studio is “underwhelming” or not. I know that when I play “lesser” Gibsons (let alone Epiphone versions of Gibson guitars) now after having owned/played several RIs over the last several years that I find them (the non-RIs) somewhat underwhelming... more so with lower end Gibsons like Studios and Tributes, etc, but also with Standards and Traditionals—my own Trad included—if a bit less so). Like I said, once we are exposed to “the finer things” it’s easy to become quickly accustomed to them—making the not so fine things stand out more dramatically as well... not so fine! ;). At least that’s been my experience. YMMV :cheers:

Davjon

Reaction score
HI All,

My LP is a 2010 Studio, modded with 50's wiring and a PUP upgrade. I like the guitar a lot. I own 4 electrics (PRS Vela, Fender EJ and Tom Anderson Classic Icon). I am yet to play an R8 or R9 but I feel one of them will be coming my way at some point. My question is how much better are they in reality? Sure I know there are variances and not all R8's or 9's are necessarily great guitars but assuming I go and play a bunch of them, just how much better are they in general than what I have? Will I be blown away?

Thanks All,

Dave.
Dave, I own a six, eight and nine. I’m not sure there’s a lot of difference at all between the Rs and the standards. The pups on my three are all different, and there in lies the big difference between them. I would hesitate to say that if they were on standards they would sound inferior, or play Quite differently.

searswashere

Reaction score
Expect a lighter guitar with better fit and finish and peace of mind knowing its the top caliber Gibson produces. Expect a different sound and feel because each guitar is different and though a 2010 studio neck is based off ‘59 neck they dont feel the same. It also depends what year the historic was built.

Once you get to high end guitars, the quality is generally the same - its the specs, customer support and availability that may change. I own an R9 because; just sold a pricey guitar, interesting top, light weight, great price on a 2021 build in early 2022. It had less to do with being an R9 and more with me being curious. I have a 96 standard I am hesitant to sell despite owning the flagship.

[email protected]

Reaction score
HI All,

Thanks All,

Dave.
Well historics are twice the price so that should give you a bit of a clue. If a standard les paul is a blow up doll. An R8/ R9 histotic VOS is a real woman.

Bwk

Reaction score
I was really impressed when I went from a standard to a custom shop instrument. I think the overall fit and finish is big jump up in quality. The feel of the guitars is so much nicer to me. The necks are incredibly comfortable and feel much different in hand to me.
My personal impression is these instruments are more resonant and sound nicer with more clarity from the pickups.
I know a lot of people don’t think it’s worth the price difference and that’s completely fine. You may end up feeling the same. For me though, I was impressed. I love the custom Les Pauls and think they are wonderful instruments.

pondcaster

Reaction score
One man's limited experience here but I've only played two used r8s since buying (and falling head over heels for) my '19 60s Standard.

Didn't get to really try them out thru my amps but there just didn't seem to be anywhere enough difference or increase in quality to begin to justify the price difference.

Not to say I wouldn't try again some time but after those, not in a big rush.

Last edited:

THAWK819

Reaction score
If you’ve ever gone from an epiphone to a Gibson then it’s a similar idea.

Not as pronounced but in my mind it’s a clear step up from a USA model.

Whether you will be blown away or not, I don’t know I am tempted to say probably not it’s the law of diminishing returns. It’s a better guitar but not mind blowingly so.

I’ve had my R0 60th anni for around 6 months now it’s a fantastic guitar and it’s still surprising me, but it hasn’t made my USA Les Paul’s obsolete.
Interesting; I’ve been actively R9/R0 shopping for about 2 years and experienced just the opposite. I’ve tried some good guitars sure, but the difference was nothing even close to the step up to Gibson from Epiphone.

At most, it’s barely even been like the difference between my current Standard from my former Studio, minor cosmetic upgrades.

That’s why even as low as $3,800 I haven’t pulled the trigger; the degree of difference from my 2017 Standard just wasn’t enough to justify the price for me.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What I was blown away by was how the reissues I own played. Not so much how much better they sounded. More about how they felt which is inspiring. My USA 335 and LP junior are not embarrassed sound wise at at all by the custom shop guitars

Latest Threads