How big is the heel on this? '71 goldtop

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Thats-a bigg-a heel its so heel its a wrestling bad guy-goof rings HYUCK!

cjp54

Reaction score
Most of these 72/58 reissues, as they were called, had "Gibson" embossed pickup covers. Everyone I've seen all had 1377142 pot codes. That's why everyone says they have a 71. Supposedly there were only 25 shipped in 71. I've had several of these over the years. Still have the first one I purchased from the original owner in 1973. The one with black plastic I still own. The one against the amp I sold years ago. Not all of them had the goof hiders either.

Last edited:

judson

Reaction score
i won't bid any higher than i have, 2k seems about right.
if that were in the USA....i would be all over that to about $3k

i have a 71 , 72 Deluxe not the re-issue but would be tempted to go over the $3k if i had to....:fingersx:

judson

Reaction score
if this is legit...that guitar will be north of $3k maybe north of $4K....had to edit for the neck repair

yes its friday ...im dancing with the Captn and Ginger but i aint on Gilligans Island

dam it now im chasin another guitar.... :run:

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
if that were in the USA....i would be all over that to about $3k

i have a 71 , 72 Deluxe not the re-issue but would be tempted to go over the $3k if i had to....:fingersx:
I have a feeling it will go for more than that, tempted to go to 3k, but no more (he lied) lol.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well i bid to my new top bid and someone wants it more than me.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Most of these 72/58 reissues, as they were called, had "Gibson" embossed pickup covers. Everyone I've seen all had 1377142 pot codes. That's why everyone says they have a 71. Supposedly there were only 25 shipped in 71. I've had several of these over the years. Still have the first one I purchased from the original owner in 1973. The one with black plastic I still own. The one against the amp I sold years ago. Not all of them had the goof hiders either.
Two belters there, cjp, amazing that gibson decided to do a reissue of such a guitar back then.

judson

Reaction score
Will link the ebay listing, what i have noticed is the late 60's guitars in uk seem to break all the rules of the latesixties decoders. The large heel was a feature of the very early ones. As is the Dotted i, two of the visible pot codes look to be way later though.

Body is one piece as is neck, so all of the variables we read about happening from time to time seem to be evident in models sold in `u`k, which does make me wonder about such things, and if they are legit or not. This and one other i looked at early this year are both quote contradictory. But i am no expert. Its had a neck break, but doesn't look major issue to my novice eyes.

well that escallated quickly ! lol

GBP 5,287.00
Approximately US $7,284.16

this is over ...maybe its good that i cant bid from the states but it would be a nice one to have....

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
well it went for just under £5.3k, i did talk to the seller early in auction, i mentioned 5k but they didn't bite. so i wasn't far out what the market said.

cjp54

Reaction score
Did the add ever say how much this weighed? They tend to be on the heavy side. The one I currently have is 9 lbs 15 oz.
Sounds great though. My other two Les Pauls are lighter at 8 lbs 13 oz and 7 lbs 15 oz.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No it didn't state weight. My modern goldtops weigh in at: 8lb 6oz for the '57, 8lb 11oz for the '56, the '54 was 8lb 7oz, but that was returned. I have two superb everyday players, the '56 and the '58. I might sell the '57 and the '60 or trade it for something else, like one of those 50's juniors I posted about.

Latest Threads