How big is the heel on this? '71 goldtop

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Like damn bro never seen one like it. Its claimed to be a '71, there are pickup ring mount scars evident, would it have been a p90 '54 reissue as buyer believes?

79ACBC9D-E3F6-4225-9310-8FF58228D0DA.jpeg

ARandall

Reaction score
Big heels certainly were in evidence in some of the early 70's guitars, but that one I think takes the cake.

72 was when the RI versions came out, but its hard sometimes to be able to distinguish the years - ser #'s don't often do it that well.

Maybe link some more pics.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Will link the ebay listing, what i have noticed is the late 60's guitars in uk seem to break all the rules of the latesixties decoders. The large heel was a feature of the very early ones. As is the Dotted i, two of the visible pot codes look to be way later though.

Body is one piece as is neck, so all of the variables we read about happening from time to time seem to be evident in models sold in `u`k, which does make me wonder about such things, and if they are legit or not. This and one other i looked at early this year are both quote contradictory. But i am no expert. Its had a neck break, but doesn't look major issue to my novice eyes.

ARandall

Reaction score
Ok, thats certainly the RI due to the 1 piece body and neck. Pity about the missing goof rings.
But its a 72

He's saying pots date to 70. Firstly, 2 of them have clearly and obviously been replaced (both volume pots) so untouched wiring as a descriptor is incorrect. But the one I first looked at is 42nd week of 71 and the other is obscured by solder. So he's looking at the wrong code for his dating method.

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
what i have noticed is the late 60's guitars in uk seem to break all the rules of the latesixties decoders. The large heel was a feature of the very early ones. As is the Dotted i, two of the visible pot codes look to be way later though.
I guess what you find about dating guitars is looking at all of the aspects not just 1 in isolation. You say a logo with a dotted 'i' being a feature of late sixties, but the 70's also feature dotted i's too. Plus thats a 70's logo type only. So if you just date things on poor or partial methods then of course the guitar will seem to 'break all the rules'.

The late sixties guitars are actually quite consistent. But then so are people trying to get away with saying their guitar is older than what it is in order to sell it for more money.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Wow!
That's quite an enthusiastic description!

"There is a tiny bit of paint wear by the sides of the pickups – on occasion people put on surrounds which may have been the case here, but it’s minor. "

Translation:
Some asshole fitted some rings around the pickups or fitted some kind of humbucker
on it and drilled screw holes all around the pickups!

Also this:

"In great condition"...
"The neck has had a small typical fracture in the past, but the repair is that good it is barely noticeable and so smooth to touch. Denmark Street said it’s probably the best repair they have seen and stronger now than it was! "

Translation:
That baby suffered a headstock break and was repaired.
But it's even better now!
Lucky you the buyer!

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
i won't bid any higher than i have, 2k seems about right.

Flogger59

Reaction score
I am really digging how they strung it.

I wonder what it sounds like?

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I am really digging how they strung it.

I wonder what it sounds like?
Y'know, i was looking and thinking, 'something ain't right', and i been looking, and looking, and saw nothing. :rofl:

if it does play right, will that mean necks way off? Ahh, he has edited the listing, to be fair i once strung a guitar half top wrapped and half not when I was tired.

I watched the video clip again and it is top wrapped there, sounds pretty good to me. I like it but ain't bidding any higher, as whilst neck break is not an issue for me, you just know if your ever need to sell it.....

Last edited:

ARandall

Reaction score
Those sort of guitars in mint condition are the best park of $8k now. And that model is one of the ones you can do an investment type buy with.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
there is a lot to like about the raw specs, old wood, one piece neck body yadda yadda, will see what the next bid takes it to. my first best guess was it might be worth 5k to me if i was to spend that amount on a guitar again. really wanting to not go there though. that being said not wanting to invest in stock market.

ARandall

Reaction score
I couldn't have imagine such a bad design existed, especially on a reissue...
Maybe you can enlighten me as to what aspect of a pickup ring is an objective bad design, as you have described it. Given they cover what is a fairly loose pickup rout they are more like objective good design - if we are truly taking the dictionary/common meaning of the phrase accurately.

It would be interesting to see if you class the reissues Gibson did up until about 2003 as 'bad designs' as well, as they had about as much (or more) 'incorrect' about them as this very first attempt at a RI did.

blouie

Reaction score
Here's a nice video of a 71 - the heel looks very similarly large. It sounds amazing!

I would be more concerned that he doesn't want to be paid through eBay/PayPal - sounds risky.

Latest Threads