How are you liking the "tall/narrow" frets on your R-8?

jenton70

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
@jenton70

Which one are you referring too?

I've got a 2018 R8 with the narrow frets. Plays great. It's funny, though. When I've played that one for a while the others feel worn too low. But when I haven't been playing it much, then pick it up it feels like they're too high.

DanD

Reaction score
We adapt and adjust. Then if we stay too long with one the other feels awkward. I get that.

kingsxman

Reaction score
We adapt and adjust. Then if we stay too long with one the other feels awkward. I get that.

I think this is very true. I have NEVER had an issue with an R9 neck...until I got used to my 2018 R8.

Clint

Reaction score
Agree with the above. I used to own a '98 R8. Back then they used taller/narrower frets which felt great for bending. When Gibson changed the spec to the slightly lower and wider frets around 2001, I disliked them at first but eventually got used to them. I'd probably love the taller/narrower frets on the new R8's if they are anything like the older ones they were using prior to 2001.

kingsxman

Reaction score
I think one thing you'd find different however is the mix of neck size and frets. The old R8's were more baseball bat necks whereas the new R8's are closer to R9's with more shoulders. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong in that description..maybe its just a bit thicker). You may or may not like the new combination...

JMB1984

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure it is only the R9 profiles that they changed (slimmed up) recently. The neck profile on my 2018 R7 and a few 2018 R8s I have played are pretty consistent with my 2014 R7 and 2013 R8. Also the 2017-2019 R8 neck measurements I see on sites like Wildwood have also been consistent with years just prior. Neck measurements are something I have paid pretty close attention over the past several years.

Last edited:

kingsxman

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure it is only the R9 profiles that they changed (slimmed up) recently. The neck profile on my 2018 R7 and a few 2018 R8s I have played are pretty consistent with my 2014 R7 and 2013 R8. Also the 2017-2019 R8 neck measurements I see on sites like Wildwood have also been consistent with years just prior. Neck measurements are something I have paid pretty close attention over the past several years.

2013 was year of R8 slimming..

1allspub

Reaction score
I’d have to disagree. When I was shopping for my 2018 R8 I noticed that a lot of them (on the websites that provided neck measurements) had smaller necks than either my 2014 or 2016 R8s. I eventually ended up buying one from Wildwood, and when I talked to them (during the purchase process) they said that the 2018 necks were modeled after 8 3096 (the “First Standard” currently owned by Slash). Its neck dimensions are well documented in BOTB and are very close to what mine measured in at (which is 0.888”/1.003” (1st/12th) and more like previous years’ R9s than R8s... and nowhere near the size of my 2014 and 2016 R8s). And most that I saw on Wildwood and elsewhere at that time were similarly smaller than previous R8s.

Just my experience... I’m sure there are some fat-necked 2018 R8s out there too, but I think generally they were on the smaller side as compared to previous years... at least from what I saw when I was shopping.

JMB1984

Reaction score
2013 was year of R8 slimming..

Sure, but you stated “The old R8s were more baseball bat necks” with out any reference to when “old” is so it was open to interpretation. My point was that the R8s necks haven’t really changed since 2013 even though R9 necks did change recently at the same time that R8s were changed to narrow tall frets. Also, the current R8 necks are definitely still thicker than the new R9s and not just more shoulders as you mentioned.

JMB1984

Reaction score
I’d have to disagree. When I was shopping for my 2018 R8 I noticed that a lot of them (on the websites that provided neck measurements) had smaller necks than either my 2014 or 2016 R8s. I eventually ended up buying one from Wildwood, and when I talked to them (during the purchase process) they said that the 2018 necks were modeled after 8 3096 (the “First Standard” currently owned by Slash). Its neck dimensions are well documented in BOTB and are very close to what mine measured in at (which is 0.888”/1.003” (1st/12th) and more like previous years’ R9s than R8s... and nowhere near the size of my 2014 and 2016 R8s). And most that I saw on Wildwood and elsewhere at that time were similarly smaller than previous R8s.

Just my experience... I’m sure there are some fat-necked 2018 R8s out there too, but I think generally they were on the smaller side as compared to previous years... at least from what I saw when I was shopping.

There are definitely variations out there and some that will be smaller or larger. However, if you look at all the R6s-R8s on Wildwoods site right now they are almost all (with one exception) at or above 1st .900 and 12th 1.000, which has been the thickness spec for several years now. In 2018 only an updated profile for the R9s was advertised and they are pretty consistently around .87-.88 at the first fret.

kingsxman

Reaction score
Sure, but you stated “The old R8s were more baseball bat necks” with out any reference to when “old” is so it was open to interpretation. My point was that the R8s necks haven’t really changed since 2013 even though R9 necks did change recently at the same time that R8s were changed to narrow tall frets. Also, the current R8 necks are definitely still thicker than the new R9s and not just more shoulders as you mentioned.
Fair enough. I always personally consider old to be pre 2013 as that's when all the biggest changes were made to the historic lp line. Buts that's just my own opinion...of which i shouldn't expect anyone else to read my mind to know what that is. Lol.

Luboy

Reaction score
I'm just curious because I have yet to play one. I see the '59 reissues still have the "medium/Jumbo" fret size (which I am used to). Do you find any unpleasantness, such as the string dragging across the wood when you bend? Or, is there no real noticeable difference in playability?
Thanks for any info.

the string drags less, not more. tall narrow is objectively better for bends imo, unless you're too stubborn or too obsessed with the old frets. narrow frets also intonate better and require less maintenance. the main disadvantage is if you press too hard.

kingsxman

Reaction score
the string drags less, not more. tall narrow is objectively better for bends imo, unless you're too stubborn or too obsessed with the old frets. narrow frets also intonate better and require less maintenance. the main disadvantage is if you press too hard.
I agree...mostly. Its a different feel than the R9's but I really like it. And I'll note that if anyone compares these to "jumbo" frets... I dont think you can compare these with Jumbo... I've noticed with Jumbo frets they really are prone to going out of tune if you press too hard. With the tall/narrow...I really havent noticed this issue... (Note: I hate jumbo frets).

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well I guess I'll need to actually try and see....based on my experience, I don't like tall frets. I'm heavy handed and those notes will go sharp on me.... I like whatever is on my current LP's...

A good crowning on any frets should be all I need.

uncle mud

Reaction score
I like them a lot! I just received a 2019 R8 with these frets. This one is my third R8. My 2011 and 2014 models have the wider lower frets. I immediately really liked these frets. Both frets work great for me. Soloing feels different, but in a real good way. This is just an opinion from an old fart that's been playing a long time.

bmb89

Reaction score
Just picked up an r6 with the tall/narrows(my first with frets like this) and they don’t bother me, bending seems a bit smoother honestly. The only other thing I noticed is the action when set to the same height as my other guitars, feels slightly higher on the skinny strings than my other Lester’s with the usual frets. So I just lowered the high e side down a hair and they feel pretty similar to me.

my59

Reaction score
2020 r8. I like them fine.

Attachments

• 890D2E67-423C-4EE0-8BB5-18BF48B248E4.jpeg
    890D2E67-423C-4EE0-8BB5-18BF48B248E4.jpeg
    35 KB · Views: 62

alane011

Reaction score
I just got a '22 R8 specifically to try the narrow tall. I measure them to about .47 to more like .50 in places. I love these. If you like Fender 6105s or 6125s you may like these. Easier bending in certain areas plus a bit more room between the frets which is helpful. I have never been a big medium jumbo fan so these are great IMO.

sgarnett

Reaction score
I love tall frets. Tall and narrow or tall and wide (jumbo) are both fine. Tall frets work best with a light touch, which I like. They are more comfortable for full barre chords too.

Latest Threads