How are you liking the "tall/narrow" frets on your R-8?

bridger

Reaction score
I'm just curious because I have yet to play one. I see the '59 reissues still have the "medium/Jumbo" fret size (which I am used to). Do you find any unpleasantness, such as the string dragging across the wood when you bend? Or, is there no real noticeable difference in playability?
Thanks for any info.

JMB1984

Reaction score
I have the narrow tall frets on a 2018 R7 and I like them. Sure they feel a little different from the R9 and older R7/R8 frets, but not in a bad way IMO. If anything, the different feel inspires me to play a little differently and I enjoy changing between guitars more. No unpleasantness for me and string bends are actually a little easier.

Frozen Rat

Reaction score
I'll be the first negative post. The guitar feels kind of like it has a scalloped fretboard with these narrow-talls. I could eventually get used to them I suppose, in time, but I don't think I'd ever love them. I've only ever played on medium-jumbos. That's what I learned on and what I've played on for a long time. Switching to something that's like a knife's back edge sticking up from the fretboard is just too much for me at this point. I find I play out of tune a bit and sliding up and down isn't as smooth; the whole experience leaves me feeling unmoored.

I had a really nice 2018 R6 I bought for a killer price that I sent back because of the frets. I ended up with a 2014 now with the MJ frets and it feels like home. And when I went to buy an R8 I didn't even consider 2018s. I ended up with a 2016 because of the frets. I hope this is just a phase they're going through and will switch back. Probably not though.

Roshy Boy

Reaction score
I’m good with them. I have a ‘16 R9’s with lower and wider frets and an’18 R6 with the taller narrow frets. The R6 reminds me of my Nocaster with 6105 frets. Except it’s a shorter scale neck. I find I can use a lighter touch on my R6, yet grip the neck on the Nocaster.

DarthPaul

Reaction score
The frets on my '17 R8/CC29v are tiny.
A recent classified ad on here described them as "very small (low and thin)".
I took it as a challenge.
The immediate thing that jumped out was bending - it took a little while to get used to it. Tone-wise, they sound "woodier" or kinda "plucky".
It's comfortable after playing it almost every day for over a year, but I had to adjust a few things to get there.
Going up to 11s seemed to help.
The fingerboard gathered a sheen rather quickly due to more skin contact, which is kinda cool.
I could see why people wouldn't like them, especially shredder-types. Hammer-on triplets require more strength, although tapping is easier than you would think.
Once I wear these frets down (within the next year if I had to guess) they will be replaced by "normal" R9 frets.

Last edited:

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
My CC28, which is a 2014 has the tall narrow frets (they are taller than Jumbos used on my regular 2014 R8, just not as wide) no problem with bending,.... I have to admit that i like them alot. I'm a big fret guy,... like em large,... but the CC28 seem effortless to play and the notation is crisp and bell like (if that makes any sense). I haven't tried any current R8s with the new frets, but i'm a gonna have to try one out. :)

Last edited:

519tbarr

Reaction score
The current 2018/19 fret size keeps me from buying a current R8. Also - the current washed cherry finish is off to me - has a really orangey tinge to it. I was actually a big fan of the Vintage Cherry finish in the 2018 series but I can't get past the fret size. I know Mat from the Custom Shop said that M2M will make this change - but honestly - there should be no up-charge to get an R8 with standard medium jumbo frets on it. If the custom shop can offer the current 59 - 60th anniversary model with two different fretboard woods - steel frets should not be a problem. I would hazard to guess a medium jumbo fret model R8 would probably sell better.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Outstanding frets! Love my 2018 R8 and R6 frets enormously

I love the feel as though playing a vintage acoustic and am inspired to play more chord variations and stretch out a bit. Bends are a breeze and I can comfortably swim through Gilmore solos

goldtop0

Reaction score
I don't know what all the fuss is about when guys talk about the fat wide frets versus the taller thinner ones......... they're all the same to me playing wise........I adapt with no problem at all.
NOW, thinner slim taper necks compared to a good fat profile neck.........that's a completely different story:naughty:

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I've only played one new R8 briefly and didn't like the frets as much. I think they are the same ones used on the Memphis 58 335. I have that guitar and wish it came with the frets we're all used to.

Gibson trying to be historically accurate is good'n all but this is one area I think they should just ignore and use one fret size. If they want to justify the inflated R9/R0 price tag, stop selling flame top R8s.

Gold Tone

Reaction score
Noooo

Let us who like tall narrow frets at least have a few guitars to choose from. Please don’t stick us with bigger frets we don’t want

We’ll even give up the beloved ‘59 and keep to the R8

We’re a small group but we matter, right?

Slater529

Senior Citizen
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was pleasantly surprised that my Y2K R9 came with tall narrow frets - they feel just like Dunlop 6105's, and I have no problem with them whatsoever. In fact, I greatly prefer them over the medium jumbos that came on all the other Historics I've owned (and sold) over the years.

But my faves are Dunlop 6100. Same height as 6105 (.055), but wider. I have 6100s on my Strat and they are awesome. When it comes time to refret my Y2K R9, it's going to get 6100 Jumbos.

1allspub

Reaction score
I like the tall/narrows on my 2018 R8 because they are very similar to the frets on my Gibson USA Traditional (& soon to arrive Gibson USA SG). It makes going back & forth between the R8 & the USA guitars easier.

Plus it’s a reissue of a 58 LP, shouldn’t it have proper 58 tall/narrow frets? :hmm:

That said, I don’t dislike the lower/wider frets on my earlier R8s either.

jktxs

Reaction score
I've no problem with the Jescar 55090 on my '57 custom and extra jumbos on superstrats but those new R8 frets, man do they feel weird. Luckily I was able to get a 2018 R8 with the medium jumbo frets.

DrSte31n

Reaction score
I have a 2018 R6. Plays like butter! :). Really, though. I like the narrow/tall frets a lot. Easy bends. Plus, it allows for more variety.

joff

Reaction score
I am not a tall thin fret guy...i owned a Custom Shop '69 Thinline Tele with 6105 and i could not get used to the feel of them at-all...all three of my Fenders have 6100 jumbos and i love'em. :jam:

kingsxman

Reaction score
Love em. I didnt realize how much until I bought a 2018 R9 with a great top that was "supposed" to replace my 2018 R8.
Once I got to playing the new guitar however, I realized how accustomed I'd grown to the new tall/narrow frets and how much I really preferred them over the traditional Gibson historic frets. Long and short of it is the 2018 R9 great top (and great sound) didnt replace my R8 mainly because of the frets.

yeatzee

Reaction score
I don't like them much on my '18 M2M R7. I'd much rather have the traditional wider sized frets, if the guitar stays with me I'll likely just get it refreted with stainless.

Latest Threads