How are the newer Custom Shop Strats? Are they worth it? And...

Jon W

Reaction score
I just picked up one today... A 63' Journeyman relic in Sonic Blue.. Best single coil pickups that I have played...
It really play's great.. The relic is very subtle.. that's the way I like it... It just ticked all the boxes for me..
Quartersawn neck.. etc..
View attachment 521675
View attachment 521676
View attachment 521677
This one is really growing on me. When the weather gets nice or they open their showroom, I'll have to go back and play some more of these. I played three when I got mine. All were equally good but tonally different. I was looking for that natural mid bump and picked the one that had it. They all have their own distinct voice.

Meatwad

Reaction score
My favorite guitar at the moment is a '69 CS Relic.
I said in the past that I'd never buy one, but when this thing popped up on my radar I kept staring at it.

I'd been kicking myself for a long time about getting rid of my Voodoo Strat years ago, and even though I was a bit put off by the heavy relic, aka "dragged behind a truck" treatment, I rolled the dice and got it.

Best/Strat/Ever.

It's super resonant and light.
The '69 CS pickups are killer.

Way back when I was in my teens, I spent a lot of time playing a friend's '64 Strat. This one reminds me of the feel of that guitar in a big way.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
They are more worth it than $9000 Gibson aged and painted reissues...am I allowed to say that?

dandood

Reaction score
My favorite guitar at the moment is a '69 CS Relic.
I said in the past that I'd never buy one, but when this thing popped up on my radar I kept staring at it.

I'd been kicking myself for a long time about getting rid of my Voodoo Strat years ago, and even though I was a bit put off by the heavy relic, aka "dragged behind a truck" treatment, I rolled the dice and got it.

Best/Strat/Ever.

It's super resonant and light.
The '69 CS pickups are killer.

Way back when I was in my teens, I spent a lot of time playing a friend's '64 Strat. This one reminds me of the feel of that guitar in a big way.

Looks awesome!

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That that one is awesome *^^^^

TheWelder

Reaction score
I think it's tough to answer the question of whether a CS Strat is 'worth it.' There are too many factors involved. If you're a Gibson player primarily (or Gretsch, PRS, etc.) and you're just looking for a Strat for the times when the 2 and 4 position quack is needed, then no, a CS Strat probably isn't worth it. Get a MIM or MIJ and call it a day.

However, if you are a Strat player primarily and you are looking to get as close to vintage look, feel, and sound as you can without actually paying the outrageous pre-CBS price tag (and if your budget allows), then I say yes, a CS Strat is probably worth it. Sure, the law of diminishing returns comes into play and you are paying a premium for that extra 10 - 15% of special something, but CS Strats in general are fantastic guitars.

My '56 CS RI the best Strat I've owned, and besides vintage, I've owned Strats in every price range.

56_Strat_1.jpg

56_Strat_3.jpg

56_Strat_5.jpg

Jim Klein

Reaction score
my wildwood 10 just has that feel like an old friend. the aging on mine is a bit over the top but its so light and it just rings..can't put it down ..fun!! best thing about a new guitar..makes me want to play! haven't had a gig a a year ..ugh..so a little inspiration is needed..good excuse for a new toy

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I am in the same boat as others in that I feel the price jump to get a customshop is a little excessive. I haven't tried many but one that I really liked was a masterbuilt 59 strat that had some sort of magic in the wiring that resulted in minimal noise. It played and sounded perfect but the price was $7000 Aus.

I now have an '82 MIJ Greco strat that sounds and plays similar to a real 60s strat I tried in a store once. The neck is thinner than I would prefer but it is a great instrument. But I have tried other Grecos from the same era that just didn't have the same things happening.

the_lawyer

Reaction score
Very nice CS guitars! But keep in mind: no senior masterbuilder can surpass the work from 1950s mexican teenage girls!

Latest Threads