How about the sun and nitro?

Robo

Reaction score
They might not call it a Studio but it has nearly all the appointments studios have. Well, it doesnt really matter what you call it, as long as you're happy with the guitar :thumb:

Yeah, its just like the studio exept for the weight relief, the pickups, the fretboard and the tuners.

But as you said, it does not really matter because I love the guitar. And that's all there is, isn't it?

Robo

Reaction score
basically, a les paul with no binding, with carved maple top is a studio.
they may advert it as a "tribute love premium lonely hearts club band", it's a studio.

but it's true that it's more confusing than it was before as gibson launched so many varitations of it through last years...

Yeah, and it's so confusing with the names being so alike. It took me a while to figure out what the hell kind of guitar i bought, I'll tell you.
The Studio version is discontinued, but Gibson.com still have the specs page for that guitar up.

The Studio with similar name:
Gibson.com: Gibson Les Paul Studio 60s Tribute

My guitar:
Gibson.com: Gibson Les Paul '60s Tribute

Anyway, it's a killer guitar and the best sound for the dollar guitar I have ever bought.

ARandall

Reaction score
Well, studios have had a variety of tuners, fretboards, weight relief and pickups over the years. The things that consistently denote the studio level are the silkscreen logo rather than inlay, no fretboard binding, no body binding and a slightly thinner overall body depth - I think due to a thinner maple cap.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Yeah, its just like the studio exept for the weight relief, the pickups, the fretboard and the tuners. Or you could say the only thing that is similar to the Studio is the fact that its unbound.

But as you said, it does not really matter because I love the guitar. And that's all there is, isn't it?

Na Studios can actually have: swiss cheese or chambered, p-90's or all kinds of humbuckers, all kinds of fretboard materal, all kinds of tuners, and kinds of fretboard inlays, all kinds of hardware color, all kinds of finish color, faux binding or no faux binding, tremolo or no tremolo, flame maple, plain maple or even no maple top, different types of wood alltogether. Fully buffed clearcoat or no clearcoat..... All they do have in common that they are called Les Paul Studio ...... .
There's so many different takes on the les paul studio, even gibson cant keep track of what they've made over the years.

And who the hell cares really :D

Rodolphe

Reaction score

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
And yes, they are the best les paul you can buy for the money. I had one from 1997 and it was AWSOME. Shouldnt have sold it :laugh2:

Oranjeaap

Reaction score

Haha yeah, thats the good old, "real" studio, back from when there was only one model :laugh2:

I had one:

CIMG2095_zps493a4cf4.jpg

Robo

Reaction score
Well, studios have had a variety of tuners, fretboards, weight relief and pickups over the years. The things that consistently denote the studio level are the silkscreen logo rather than inlay, no fretboard binding, no body binding and a slightly thinner overall body depth - I think due to a thinner maple cap.

Oh I forgot all about that. Maybe that's the key difference then? And why Gibson won't call this one a Studio. Mine has the standard LP thickness. I have a friend who has a Studio (no tribute just a regular Studio) and its 1.45 inches (37 mm). Mine is 1.78 inches (45 mm).

Mine weights 9,9 lbs (4,5 kg) his Studio is way lighter and weights around 8 lbs.

So a Studio has no binding and is thinner. is that it?

Ansen

Reaction score
The "regular" Studio is 45 mm thick, 5mm less than a Standard, but as thick as a Custom of the mid fifties. The old Studios where indeed more a stripped Custom than a stripped Standard. Your friend seems to have a variation of the Studio theme. Nonetheless yours is a nice guitar, but it's also a Studio.

The Studio have more diffenrent versions over the years than all the other Les Paul models together, and there's a lot of love for Studios over here, so there's no need for feeling offended.

Here is my '92 Studio, swiss holed, ebony frettboard, Kluson style tuners and 490R/498T humbuckers. Thickness is 45 mm, weight 8.5 lbs..

attachment.php

Have fun :dude:

Attachments

• StudioCarpet_13.jpg
    StudioCarpet_13.jpg
    98.3 KB · Views: 147

Robo

Reaction score
Hehe, I'm not offended at all! Just curious about the axe!

What ever the model name is, it's does not change the guitar itself. And as I said, I love it.

Funny thing though, so this is the Studio they never called a Studio?

Gibons line of sub-brands seams a liiitle bit out of order.

How the heck did we end up here anyways, this was a post about sunlight in the beginning.
Anyways, thanks for the info on the some what confusing Studio bio.

Wrench66

Reaction score

MUSTANGCAT

Reaction score
Call me crazy but! If your burst fades naturally, it is a good and desirable thing! Those boots are made for walkin' and that's just what they'll do one of these days your burst is gonna fade all over.....................get the photo?

Latest Threads