How about the sun and nitro?

Robo

Reaction score
Hi guys!

I'm having a out doors gig this sunday. And I just realized, that'll be the first out door gig with my vintage sunburst Les Paul. I have read that older Les Pauls with nitro lacquer had issues with fading colors. You know the whole unburst-thing.

Does this also apply on new guitars with old style nitro lacquer? Or have they somewhat changed the formula? Perhaps its the coat of paint under the lacquer that's the bigger issue. But the question remains: does it matter?

Of course I don't think one gig, however sunny, will do any difference on my guitar. But I'm thinking more in general, is this something to have in mind. Not to have it exposed to sun when hung on the wall etcetera.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to the gig sunday. I always felt that darker burst looks at their best in full sunlight.

solgura.jpg

RocketKing

Reaction score
A constant exposure to sunlight could -probably will be- an issue in colour fading, i've seen a few examples of that on this very site. I wouldn't worry much if it's only for one time- but be careful not to expose your guitar to drastic temperature changes: i.e don't keep it in the cool shade and then play it right away in the direct and hot sunlight.

WineLP

Reaction score
A constant exposure to sunlight could -probably will be- an issue in colour fading, i've seen a few examples of that on this very site. I wouldn't worry much if it's only for one time- but be careful not to expose your guitar to drastic temperature changes: i.e don't keep it in the cool shade and then play it right away in the direct and hot sunlight.

Don't get it wet and NEVER feed it after midnight :laugh2:

Robo

Reaction score
Haha, good thing my guitar is in vintage sunburst and not Gremlin Green!

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
It's left handed, it's an LP Studio, and it has faux binding. And you think a few sunrays could be bad?? :laugh2: :laugh2:

Modern Gibsons barely fade, and it takes many hours of sunlight. A few outdoor gigs wont change much. :thumb:

Robo

Reaction score
It's left handed, it's an LP Studio, and it has faux binding. And you think a few sunrays could be bad?? :laugh2: :laugh2:

Modern Gibsons barely fade, and it takes many hours of sunlight. A few outdoor gigs wont change much. :thumb:

Yes it's left handed. But it's not a Studio. And it's not faux binding, this is the way this guitar is made. No coat of color on the side of the maple cap, just lacquer.

But lefty, Studio, faux binding or not – they're not painted any other way.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Yes it's left handed. But it's not a Studio. And it's not faux binding, this is the way this guitar is made. No coat of color on the side of the maple cap, just lacquer.

But lefty, Studio, faux binding or not – they're not painted any other way.

It was a joke :)

Anyway, if it's not a studio what is it then?
And faux binding is what we call it when the maple cap shows trough as to simulate binding. :thumb:

Rodolphe

Reaction score
yep, the binding, or faux binding looks strange in the cutaway, as if it was painted with correction fluid...:shock::hmm:

"No coat of color on the side of the maple cap, just lacquer. " this is what I call "faux binding" but it's not pejorative, just the way it's called

any other pic of the guitar?

Bristol Posse

Reaction score
Nitro typically yellows/ambers a little bit with long term exposure to UV in sunlight

the paint can fade under the nitro, more modern Gibsons have less "fragile" paint it would seem

My Nitro finished LPs have been played outside numerous times in the blazing southern California sun with no noticeable effect.
And even if the paint fades a little. so what. they'll still play great

the binding in that picture around the horn of the guitar does look kinda chewed up

Robo

Reaction score
I thought faux binding was when you did the thing with a stripe of white paint, that some people do. Anyway this is how the guitar leaves the factory.

The guitar is some what similar to the Studio version they did a couple a years ago. But the studio is chambered, this is swiss cheese traditional weight relief. The studio has P90 pickups, this one has Burstbuckers. The Studio has baked maple, this one has rosewood. The Studio has Klusons. this one has Grovers (but I changed mine to Kluson-style because I like them better). And they come in different finishes.
The names are confusingly alike though.

This is the guitar I got:
Gibson.com: Gibson Les Paul '60s Tribute

Rodolphe

Reaction score
A studio

man, you will learn a lot of things here!

anyway, sun won't harm it.
my trad pro HB has been left in the sun for hours, tried cool air on it, and the finish is pristine, only the darker honey parts faded

Biffmeister

Reaction score
Yea, these do not fade like the old aniline dye guitars do. With that being said any paint will fade if left in the sun long enough.
I vote that you go ahead and tear the house down with your LP in the sunlight.:dude:
Don't forget your rockstar shades.:cool:

Robo

Reaction score
As I wrote in the first post, I know a few outdoor gigs won't effect the color. I was more thinking in general. Like having the guitar at home hung on a wall that's not in direct sun light. I have never though of this before. I've had my Fender for 20 years and it never fades. The coat of paint on that sucker is like 5 mm.

Regarding some of your questions about the binding on the horn looking strange, on the pic above, I assure you it's just the photo. The mac book camera does not handle direct sun light that well. Look at the pickup and look at the kind of rip in the burst on the same horn, it's not there in reality. It's sun reflections.

Here's some other pics of the same guitar. On the wall and on stage. (Pardon the ugly dude playing the guitar, its only me.)

image.jpeg

stage_april2014.jpg

Rodolphe

Reaction score
no worry, new finishes are design to resist sun and temperature changes.

Robo

Reaction score
A studio
man, you will learn a lot of things here!

But how is this guitar a Studio if it does not say Studio anywhere on the guitar or on Gibsons texts about the guitar.

I don't get it.

Oranjeaap

Reaction score
Looks good!

The laquer will yellow over the years, so the yellow will turn more orangy. The black might fade slightly over a long period, combined with the yellowed laquer it will turn brownish.

Bit like this maybe:

gibson-les-paul-1959-gloss-dark-burst-11.jpg

Rodolphe

Reaction score
But how is this guitar a Studio if it does not say Studio anywhere on the guitar or on Gibsons texts about the guitar.

I don't get it.

basically, a les paul with no binding, with carved maple top is a studio.
they may advert it as a "tribute love premium lonely hearts club band", it's a studio.

but it's true that it's more confusing than it was before as gibson launched so many varitations of it through last years...

Oranjeaap

Reaction score

I don't get it.

They might not call it a Studio but it has nearly all the appointments studios have. Well, it doesnt really matter what you call it, as long as you're happy with the guitar :thumb:

Latest Threads