How about the Eastman guitars, not MIJ but MIC?

alainguitars

Reaction score
Been hearing great things about their electrics, anyone have any experience?

Ph03n1x

Reaction score
I tried a few semi hollowbodies a few years ago. Very nice for MIC. The necks tend to be thin though. I actually emailed to request a custom ordered fat neck and they wouldn't do it. Haven't looked at them since.

Grenville

Reaction score
Saw a few at Melbourne Guitar Show a couple of months ago and was very impressed, beautiful instruments, priced very fairly.

One of the nice aspects is it seems they figured out all the bits everyone upgrades and installed them as OEM already, quality hardware, pickups, etc.

If I was in the market for a new G-style instrument I'd be looking at these for sure.

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Super Mod
Reaction score
priced very fairly.
not really here in Europe / Germany,

you can get MiJ guitars cheaper

BadPenguin

Reaction score

It's because it's BLACK paruwi. They KNOW you want one, and will price it accordingly! ;)

pillbug

Reaction score
The current MIC Eastman semi hollow 335-style guitars are amazing. Play great, look great, sound great, and the higher end ones (I think) have split parallelogram inlays like a Gibby.
IMO they are 90% of the Gibson equivalent for 1/2 to 1/3 the cost (depending on New or Used, respectively).
have not played their single cut LP looking model, though they look nice too.

Gtarzan81

Reaction score
I had a T386 and traded it away.

I'd try another one in the future. T486 upgraded model

BadPenguin

Reaction score
I have an El Rey 3, and it's just one of the most amazing things out there. SOLID flame top, Solid mahogany back and sides, no F holes, and an ebony board that just begs to be touch and played. Had to pickups swapped out for a set of Stew Mac A2 hums, and haven't regretted it once.

Grenville

Reaction score

Here in Oz they're priced (from memory) a little less than the lowest priced Japanese Tokais (LS129?), which they seem to be equivalent to, despite, you know, MIC.

Acquiring one seems to be $200 - $400 less pricey, and they come stock with Pearly Gates or Lollar Imperials. Seems fair to me.

MIJ used market here is another world - prices can be good or bad but caveat emptor, the used dealers often don't list model numbers.

moreles

Reaction score
For some reason, I have yet to encounter a higher-end Eastman in any guitar shop where I live. Very frustrating -- can't judge quality from pictures! The higher end ones appear to me to be somewhat pricey for "imports" but it looks like Eastman is trying to establish a fair value-for-money position that has largely eluded Asian "offshore" makers. I'll be interested to get my grubby mitts on some of their stuff if it ever shows up in stores.

warmachine

Reaction score
I have an El Rey 3, and it's just one of the most amazing things out there. SOLID flame top, Solid mahogany back and sides, no F holes, and an ebony board that just begs to be touch and played. Had to pickups swapped out for a set of Stew Mac A2 hums, and haven't regretted it once.
There’s a gorgeous one on ebay called Otto D'Ambrosio model that has an awesome flame top!
What pickups do they use in these models? As well as the regular El Ray 3?

BadPenguin

Reaction score
There’s a gorgeous one on ebay called Otto D'Ambrosio model that has an awesome flame top!
What pickups do they use in these models? As well as the regular El Ray 3?
I believe they were using import Kent Armstrong at that time. They weren't bad, but they weren't for me.