How about a proper introduction?

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This isn't a luthier related thread and I hope I'm not violating any rules posting it here.

I just thought that it's about time that we get to know each other since we're talking here on the Luthier's Corner almost on a daily basis but we really don't know that much about who we are.

So, join me here or I'll look stupid, a brief presentation;

Magnus Melkersson, age 47, I live in Umeå, Sweden, with my wife and two girls, 9 and 11. I'm a professional industrial/ product designer at StrukturDesign, we design everything from tractors to conference telephones, both here in Sweden and world wide.

I cheat on just about all instruments but if I must I would call myself a bass player. I've been working as a professional musician when I was younger but now I play the lead guitar with my band the GooCarts, we're old friends since we where kids, just in it for the fun of it and to have a party:dude:

I'm no luthier, I try to contribute with my knowledge as a designer and 3d artist to this place and I admire all of you who have the skills to actually make these pieces of art we call guitars.

The obligatory photo,
here I am, visiting Kim Lafleur at Vintage Checkout, holding Savannah 8 0513, if my memory serves me correctly.

That's about it. Now it's your turn.

Mongrel

Reaction score
O.K. I'll jump in here, I don't want Magnus to look foolish:lol: Damn forgot to metion my name! Aaron Freeman. the mind is the first to go, thanks for reminding me Casey!

Well, I definately am not a luthier, allthough I hope to learn about the trade here at MLP. I have repaired and altered my guitars since my first "Silvertone" axe back in the 70's.

I have played guitar seriously for 34 years, I played in many bands in my hometown of Johnson City Tenn. and went on the road with a heavy metal band around 83 (Apprentess) which lasted several years, recorded a single, had alot of success on the east coast club tour. The bass player in this band was Tom Bettini who later went on to join the Southern metal band "Jackyl"

I joined several bands throughout my career, did a short stint with Eddie stone and Herman from the band "Doc Holiday", opened up for "Black Oak"
etc, etc.

The band that had the most chance to "Make it" was "Gypsy" formed in Mrytle Beach S.C. and later moved to Charlotte N.C. to record in Reflections studios, we were picked up on a production/record deal by the producer who recorded the "Smitherene's" (Sp??)

We we're working our deal at the same time "Firehouse" was working thier's, we even used the same sound and light crew, of course they went on to make a big splash. We put on all our own shows around the Charlotte area with opening acts, and it was always a wild party.

Gypsy self destructed before we could get the first CD pressed, alcohol and drugs were rampant, I could not live that way so the singer and I (She was my girlfriend) left the band and went home.

I later found my true love, Sarah, whom I am still married to, 16 years now, we have two wonderful sons, Eddie (stepson) who I raised, is 24 years old and getting married to his lady of 9 years in july of this year, and Taylor, 15 years old and is a member on this forum, a great guitar player and artist.

We have a business, Awning Associates, we do canvas awnings, as far as past times there is this Guitar thing, I also do Oil painting and other art, snowboard and wakeboard, build home theater speakers, man, I have too many hobby's

Any way, heres a couple pics, me in the old days, and today, Cheers all!

Attachments

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks Mongrel, you saved my day, now we're waiting for the rest of you guys!

Ole'Lefty

Premium Member
Reaction score
Well, I think everybody probably knows more about me than they ever really wanted. A picture MAY be forthcoming-well , will, because of the neck vid and some stills for that(editing;sound is rough because a handi-cam has no receptacle for a remote microphone).

GreaseBox

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Great idea Magnus! :thumb:

To my MLP buddy, you never mentioned your name Aaron! :slash:

My name is Casey and I hail from Indianapolis Indiana. I am originally from the northern part of Indiana (Go IRISH!). I have lived here in Indiana for the entirety of my 34 years. I am married to an outstanding woman (love of my life) and have 3 awesome boys, plus another on the way (got to see a doctor before I end up with more! lol). I perform construction management for a living in the heavy highway construction industry. I hold degrees in Construction Management and Architecture. I have always been an artist of some sort and I love working with my hands. I picked up guitar somewhere along the lines so I guess that would be my primary instrument but I like to jump on about anything you put in front of me (drums are fun). I've done some short stints in bands but they always seemed to self destruct. Mostly just play alone or with a few friends or teach my kids some 3 chord song so I can have someone to jam with. Whether playing guitar or just staring at them, I love guitars! My grandfather and his brother used to build violins and guitars and so I decided I wanted to give it a shot, which is how I ended up here. I am so grateful that I did. Otherwise I would never even know who people like Roman, or Greg, or Max, or Bill, and so on, are, nor would I have made all of these friends! Thank you all! With the help of all of you here at MLP I have found a hobby that I cannot get enough of! Maybe someday I can call myself a LUTHIER. :fingersx:

:dude:

MRJ

Reaction score
Alright. Not a lot to my story, but here goes. My name is Michael I'm thirty years old. I've lived in North Carolina all my life. I've been married to the love of my life for five years. We're expecting our first child this October. I've always loved to draw, and have an insane love for cars and trucks made before 1970. The guitar was something I always had an interest in. I never even touched one until high school, after that I went berzerk! Now guitars are my obsession. Anything I own gets modded, fixed, or has something done to it. I love working on stuff. So building guitars just came natural! I look forward to the day when I can officially call myself a luthier. I appreciate this website and everybody on it.

LG2

Reaction score
I'm a professional industrial/ product designer at StrukturDesign, we design everything from tractors to conference telephones, both here in Sweden and world wide.
Mag, I am disappointed that your not wearing cool uber glasses and a DeVo hat as a industrial designer from Sweden :wow: :naughty:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xbt30UnzRWw]YouTube - Devo "Whip It"[/ame]
I think i found my next guitar to build..

About me..

My Brother in law owned most of the vintage guitars stiles avable in the 70's "one at a time :)" so i grew up playing gold tops and ES 335s as a kid. My first guitar was a 68" Melody maker that i still own today. I will never forget the first time i played his natural finished five piece neck spruce top Gibson "Birdland" archtop. it was love at first site and i knew i was going to be a builder someday.

Playing music..

I am not to bad at guitar and mandolin/violin.

Work and fam..

Owned a cabinet shop in Ca. USA, worked in games as a art director and introduced 3D to the young gaming world we have today. helped changed the broadcast VFX bis as a 3D artist for Star Trek Voyager, DS9 and Enterprise. Made the tripod robots for the silly scary movie 4."lots of air time that one" Have one kid living at home and two on their own.
I operate LiquidGuitars.com

Photo..

I seen what Magnus can do with photoshop..

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Don't you think my 70's RayBans are cool:shock:
There are some real characters in my profession, but I just can't stand the artistic style, I'm the opposite.

But thats a cool video:lol:

Br0ken68

Reaction score
Great Idea!! I don't think I really introduced myself. My name is Chad Douglas and I live in Taft CA, about 40 miles West of Bakersfield. I just sorted showed up here awe-inspired when I stumbled on the forums and saw some the builds. The first build I saw here was Icegators, and was his first attempt. I had saw Tom Bartlett's (a.k.a Alk-3) one day while I was surfing and thought WOW what craftsmanship. I even emailed him complimenting him on it when it was posted on his cabinet making site. Tom and I switched a couple of emails back and fourth with me asking tons of questions. Betweem Tom's and Icegator, and others it got my gears turning. I like many others started with thrasher style guitar (Ibanez, B.C Rich etc) I just recently bought my first "set neck" Even though it was an Ibanez, I couldnt pass up the deal. Case, seymour duncan pups, and not a scratch on it. and I got it under $250 shipped. I can't get over how much more sustain that it had compared to bolt ons, which has all I have ever played. I'm hooked and I'll never buy another bolt on again. That's kinda what lead me here. I'm physically disabled and on a fixed income every month (the reason my build is gonna to be slow). Since I'll prolly never be able to afford a Gibby I decided to see about making one. Plus it gives me something to do on the days I feel decent. I was going to take an adult woodshop class at our local high school, but I was worried of the kids picking it up playing with it, getting oily fingerprints in the wood etc etc. I thought it might cost me more in tooling, but I can take as long as I need on it at my pace and my time. Plus if I build it at home and have a question I have you luthiers as reference, something I wouldn't have in a classroom. I would lose lab time because I would have to come home, post the question and wait for a response.

For those curious about my disability I have Arthrogryposis, severe Scoliosis, Chronic Obstruction Pulmonary Diease (COPD), as a result of my spine curvature. I was born with Arthrogryposis at birth I have a steel rod in my spine that was put in when I was 9 (34 now) to keep my spine from hitting my heart. My hips are dislocated, and my knees don't bend (common symptom from the Arthrogryposis). Despite all of that, I am somehow able to walk without a walker. Doctors tell me it is sheer determination because medically I shouldn't be able to. I have some other problems too, but we'll leave it at for now LOL. I focus on the things I can do rather than the things I can't. I normally don't mention my disability, because people tend to treat me differently if they know Im disabled. I've gotten to the point where I am comfortable with you guys and to know you guys wouldn't judge me, or at least I hope not. I still find it amazing on how many shallow people are still left in this world. But I've never seen it here. We have done our share of "bickering" with/at each other from time to time, but all in all I think we all show brotherly love for one another and respect people's thoughts and opinions.

Sorry for the novel. And guys treat me like anyone else. I don't want any sympathetic bs just cause you guys know Im disabled now. I don't want/need any special treatment or someone to feel sorry for me. So many times in my life people want to start acting differently once they found out I'd disabled. I don't want that here ok? Again sorry for the novel :jam:

GooCart

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
great, one more, now we're seven and still counting:fingersx:
It's much more fun to talk to somebody you know more about then just the avatar.

SiriusAbbott

Reaction score
okay...I'll play :)
Erik Brandborg is the name,45,father of 2(daughters)grandfather of 3(with 1 more on the way)
started playing,and modifying guitars at age 12,spent a good part of the 80's touring the midwest and southeast US while based out of Texas,or Oklahoma...took a major part of the 90's off musically,excepting teaching guitar so as to do the dad thing :D divorced in 98,and immediately joined a band and....wound up doing the fulltime single parent thing too :shock:
(NEVER marry a stripper :slash: )
got really ill in 2001,"non-specific lymes-like illness" is what they called it...and it destroyed my world,for a few years anyway.In 2004,still dealing with physical issues from the illness a friend talked me into playing bass for his band....and when that band finally ended in 2006 I had regained enough dexterity,and instruments(amps,effects,etc.)to resume my guitar playing "career" :laugh2:
As for Luthiery.....well,I spent the majority of my adulthood working as a Finish Carpenter,doing luxury homes,and high-end remodelling :cool: and seeing as I have always felt uninhibited about butchering my instruments...I became bolder in my efforts,and more intense in my research(google rules)which eventually led me to here,this forum :cool:
and this year will see my first "scratchbuilt" guitar :fingersx:
..and I gotta say,this place has some great folks for members :dude:

...oh,yeah...a pic of me

XaviereMan500

Reaction score
Ok I was thinking I was just gonna read this and be out but now I feel like I have to jump in haha

Name is Dillon Zinicola. 18 years old. From Harrisburg Pa. I have been playing guitar for about 6 or 7 years! been modifying my guitars for about 2 years and just started building not that long ago. My whole life ever sense I was a wee little boy loved ripping my toys apart. My mom said I knew how to use a Hammer, Screwdriver, and wrench before I even knew what they were called! haha anyway I grew up loving cars and guitars my Uncle told me that when I used to come over to his house I used to get out his guitar and sit there with it for hours just plucking strings lol anyway to skip along my love for music was in my blood my mom plays Piano and my Uncle plays Guitar and my grandfather plays the Harmonica haha (Hes really good at it haha) so anyway nothing got into my hands that I didnt enjoy ripping apart and putitng back together so after a few years on playing guitar I start ripping them apart and modifying them haha thats my story lmao:thumb:

crystalspeed

Reaction score
O.K. I'll jump in here, I don't want Magnus to look foolish:lol: Damn forgot to metion my name! Aaron Freeman. the mind is the first to go, thanks for reminding me Casey!

Well, I definately am not a luthier, allthough I hope to learn about the trade here at MLP. I have repaired and altered my guitars since my first "Silvertone" axe back in the 70's.

I have played guitar seriously for 34 years, I played in many bands in my hometown of Johnson City Tenn. and went on the road with a heavy metal band around 83 (Apprentess) which lasted several years, recorded a single, had alot of success on the east coast club tour. The bass player in this band was Tom Bettini who later went on to join the Southern metal band "Jackyl"

I joined several bands throughout my career, did a short stint with Eddie stone and Herman from the band "Doc Holiday", opened up for "Black Oak"
etc, etc.

The band that had the most chance to "Make it" was "Gypsy" formed in Mrytle Beach S.C. and later moved to Charlotte N.C. to record in Reflections studios, we were picked up on a production/record deal by the producer who recorded the "Smitherene's" (Sp??)

We we're working our deal at the same time "Firehouse" was working thier's, we even used the same sound and light crew, of course they went on to make a big splash. We put on all our own shows around the Charlotte area with opening acts, and it was always a wild party.

Gypsy self destructed before we could get the first CD pressed, alcohol and drugs were rampant, I could not live that way so the singer and I (She was my girlfriend) left the band and went home.

I later found my true love, Sarah, whom I am still married to, 16 years now, we have two wonderful sons, Eddie (stepson) who I raised, is 24 years old and getting married to his lady of 9 years in july of this year, and Taylor, 15 years old and is a member on this forum, a great guitar player and artist.

We have a business, Awning Associates, we do canvas awnings, as far as past times there is this Guitar thing, I also do Oil painting and other art, snowboard and wakeboard, build home theater speakers, man, I have too many hobby's

Any way, heres a couple pics, me in the old days, and today, Cheers all!
Hello Aaron, I wanna walk with you about Apprentess, please send me a mail to borntofight12@hotmail.com I cant find contact to you.

Thanks.

VictOr358

Reaction score
I don't see why I shouldn't. My LinkedIn profile is transparent enough =)
I'm Victor Tsygankov from Moscow, Russia. I'm 38, married, with children. My 2 yr. old daughter has a perfect pitch so far and she liked David Bowie. And my wife supports my luthiery hobby. I mean Missus helps, A lot.

An Lt. of Russian Army, a red button guy, if you wish =) Also, an ABD of Finnish Turku Business School, and I hope to be a Ph.D. some day. Currently I am a senior (industrial) analyst at B2B-Center.ru, previously I've been with Gartner and IDC, both are IT consulting multinationals.
I possess a primary (7 years) classic music education in trumpet, but I've lost all the skills. And I can't really play guitar. I suck, really. But I know how to operate a milling device alright, I can weld, cast and stuff like that. And I understand why tungsten carbide is way cool =)

What else... last time I've been electrocuted, it was like 660 volts AC, but as I still can type this nonsense, I also know something about electric safety up to 10 KV.

And the most important thing, I design more ideas than I can execute. :wave:

A very late P.S. My Slavic surname bein' translated to English could be somewhat like Gypson :lol:

Barnaby

Reaction score
Well, I'll play...

Obviously, my name is Barnaby and I'm an academic of sorts in Tokyo. I teach a variety of things at university including literary theory and classical rhetoric. I spent far too much of my own life studying, winding up with five degrees including two Masters and a PhD, so am basically unsuited for a real job. I'm happily married to a total babe who is trilingual, a professional harpsichord player and currently doing a PhD of her own. No kids and no plans for any.

Although born in the UK, I grew up on a farm in Australia, where I learned to do things by hand. That's probably where my approach to building comes from. I was also a professional musician (a flute player!) from the age of 12, and got heavily into early music (Bach, Handel, Telemann...those guys) when I was 18 or 19, which is when I started to perform on instruments like the recorder and lute. I wound up touring quite a lot, playing as a soloist with orchestras, doing radio, TV and CDs, and even living in Vienna for a while, studying with a mightily-bearded professor. I stopped performing professionally a while back, however, and miss it every single day.

I am quite possibly the worst guitarist on the forum, but I enjoy playing a lot and make time for it whenever possible. Sometimes, I am asked to perform in public on the guitar, but try not to, as I believe it is classed as "cruel and unusual punishment" under the Geneva convention. Still, practice is very relaxing and allows me to de-stress after the hectic Tokyo workday.

That's it. A life less interesting...but it's mine. :cool:

Spotcheck Billy

Reaction score
My name is Tim Roush and I hail from southeastern Iowa...where the tall corn grows as they say. I am a full-time high school social sciences teacher and a part-time adjunct professor at a local university. I will turn 60 this year, have a wife, 2 sons and a daughter, and nine grandchildren. As admitted previously on this very forum, I am a drummer mostly but can often correctly finger the major guitar chords. Well, maybe not correctly but close enough. I played in garage bands in high school and did the dances etc. but then I went into the military and drums are not the instrument to travel the world with. I sold my kit and settled for listening to music rather than playing it. I got drug back into playing about three and a half years ago and am so glad it happened. Making music is a gas. I am never going to be a luthier but may throw something together resembling a guitar. That remains to be seen. This is a great forum and I am glad to be a part of it.

Fret Hopper

Reaction score
Hope I don't scare anybody with my story...
Been a life long guitar player, though I never played in a band (jammed a few times). I have forgotten more than I remember as far as songs, but still get a groove going in the garage. I have broken my left wrist twice, the 2nd time requiring a bone graft to put my wrist back together. In the same incident, I cracked 2 vertebrae in my back, broke my big toe, and got a fractured skull. I have 7 small titanium plates in my head. I had a craniotomy to get the plates. A lobotomy is only 1 small step beyond a craniotomy. Other than the plates, I have had holes drilled through my skull. This might explain my sometimes odd behavior. Though I did get my MBA 2 years after the incident!

For over 20 years I worked on the lending side of the mortgage industry, in underwriting and then credit policy. When the sh!t hit the fan in 2008 I had tough decisions and decided to pursue a new career in IT. Took a pay cut to keep things moving forward in life. In better times these were my toys...

It is not a real cobra, it is a Factory Five 65 Roadster. Due to the career change, some of the toys had to go...like the cobra, the '54 Kay Howlin' Wolf hollow body bass and the Gibson Blueshawk Deluxe. The Kay was a basket case and I wish I knew then what I know now. Still got the Tele, Strat, and the no name black electric (which I gave to my son).

Here is a photo of some guitars I had over 20 years ago, before marriage, kids, and a whole lot of other stuff. The photo is a scan of a Polaroid I took of the guitars. Wish I still had the Tele. The LP Custom I ended up selling to Black Market Music in San Francisco. Don't miss it, as it was an early '70s model. The black guitar is an early Ibanez Roadstar. Cheap, but a great little guitar.

Anyways, that's my story and I am sticking to it. Life keeps getting better, and I am loving this forum.

And my real first name is...Mark

From the ozone...

B. Howard

Reaction score
My name is Brian Howard. I am a professional full time Luthier operating my own little shop in Pennsylvania. I come from a long line of woodworkers....it was the family trade. I have been in and out of the guitar biz since 1984 when I first tried building guitars. that lasted about 3-4 years and then it became a hobby, working on my own gear to keep it playing and on bandmates and friends gear too. Up until a few years ago I made my living as a cabinet and furniture maker for a large upscale builder. When I came back to building guitars it was all acoustic and only part time for 3-4 years. as things grew I jumped in and haven't looked back.....My shop is anything but a music store, I simply focus on the building of guitars, the service if all fretted instruments and custom finishing.

Sicky101

Reaction score
Hi, my name is Ross and I'm an alcohol....

Wait a minute.

Wrong meeting.

akwusmc

Reaction score
Here's my hat into the ring ...

Name is Anthony, and by my screen name you can tell I'm a former Marine. 52 yrs old, live on Lookout Mtn in GA. Married, two children (one 24, one 9).

Never built an instrument, but I've got some supplies sitting in the craft room. My biggest need now is a shop (I feel your pain, Barnaby!). I'm at best an amateur woodworker but my grandfather built grandfather clocks in the last 2 decades of his life, and he taught me most of what I know.

The only impediment to my woodworking is my MS (sadly, my guitar playing days are over), but I am heartened by the fantastic work I see on a regular basis here on the Corner.

And Barnaby is my hero.