How about a CS strat?

Heppe

Reaction score
I have been thinking about getting a CS strat for some time now and finally I am in a position do pull the trigger if I want to.

The question is will a CS strat give me something I currently dont have given my whammy bar arsenal? Would it bring any added value or just be cool since it looks great?

The strat is brand new relic HSS with Floyd Rose, 9,5” board, sort for light wood and dark RW
Priced at about 3 250€/ 3 670$

Amongst my trem equiped guitars I have

PRS cu 24
Ibanez Rg3770 and 1570
Am std strat
MIJ strat

What do you think??

Last edited:

Duane_the_tub

Reaction score
My experience with CS Strats is that they are typically lighter and more resonant than the factory-built ones. They're also usually spec'd better as far as pups and parts (less pot metal, for example).

What does all that mean? Guitars are still guitars. My current $600 American Special is a better instrument than my $2500 CS. May not look as cool and vintage, but it's a better player. So I guess it depends what you're after.

joff

Reaction score
I love my CS Strat and CS Tele, but with the new prices these days, i would seek out a 2nd hand one...lots of 'barely played' 2nd hand guitars out there...let someone else take the hit.

Last edited:

Heppe

Reaction score
The light and resonant part I do like, it would bring something new to the hobby room, I am strictly a at home player:rofl:

And of course a second hand would be great but there are very few HSS FR around in my part of the woods

Thank you for responding

Last edited:

sonar

Reaction score
The CS can be really nice guitars, but it's unlikely I would ever pay more than 2K for another Strat, unless I find a deal on a Vintage piece. And that's a completely different price bracket.

For me, non-vintage Strats are nothing more than utilitarian tools for the craft and don't get me excited like a really nice LP or ES-175 does.

Wish I could give you some words of wisdom, but it's your call. Again, they can be really nice guitars.

Looking at your arsenal, "need" is not a word I would use (reads like you have your bases covered) but there's no shame in "want".

flamesarewicked

Reaction score
I’ve only played one CS Fender. It was for about 10 mins at a local shop. It was a very worn looking telecaster.. a large portion of the finish was worn off artificially of course. It played and sounded really good... $4300 good? I didn’t think so at least. I’m sure a Standard issue USA model would of been equally as satisfying.. but Fenders never have been my thing especially despite liking Fender tones..

I think with any guitar in any price bracket it’ll come down to how it feels, sounds, and plays in your hands. Only then you will know if it’s worth the price tag.

now if there was a special combination of color, neck shape, fret type, and pickup type that you want that isn’t available otherwise the maybe CS is the way to go..

When it came to getting a CS shop Gibson.. it’s arguable whether the price tag was worth it but.. my personal experience convinced me it was.. it may not to the next guy who plays it.

integra evan

Reaction score
I've played a couple Custom Shop Fenders, but they didn't give me that wow factor I was expecting to get. They were nice guitars and played well and looked and felt great and the quality was definitely there...was just expecting a little more though I guess. Maybe it was just the examples I played. Like always, try to play it before pulling the trigger.

tzd

Reaction score
At that price point I would go for a Jackson USA Phil Collen PC-1 model (still 1000 Euros less than what you're looking at)

But honestly if it were up to me, I would go $1k lesser than that, and get the upcoming Charvel Super Stock SC1 (MIM but limited run):

2966835503_gtr_frtangleleft_001_rr.png

Heppe

Reaction score
Again thanks for all input, much appreciated

Airplane

Reaction score
I‘d rather build a Partscaster with mostly vintage parts than buying a CS Fender...

edselman

Reaction score
Here's one reason to buy a new Fender Custom Shop guitar. I bought my NOS 1960 Strat in 2008. It came with a lifetime warranty that includes all hardware. It never leaves my house which is climate controlled. I have seen the pickguard warp over time to the point that the pickups were raising. I contacted Fender Customer service and sent them photos of my pickguard and my Strat along with all of my documentation. I do not live anywhere near a Fender repair facility so I was able to do this by email. Fender Customer service contacted the Custom shop and had a newe pickguard mailed to a repair facility in San Diego Ca. They then paid to have my guitar shipped Fed Ex Overnight both ways on their dime. It is presently at the shop and should be on it's way back to me in just a few days.

Now that's what I call service!