Hooray for EVs!

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Yes, it's stupid. If they are going to use a separate battery for accessories it should at least be able to be kept charged through the main battery. If that's not possible still the location and inaccessibility is nuts. You go on vacation and come home to that? Fail.
Have a look at this

Reactions: SFK

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
this was very interesting...

the US will most likely never catch up, and with Chinas dominance in that market it'll probably place them as the #1 super power. Which it looks like that was their plan for a very long time,.. and we went along with it out of either stupidity or short-term greed.

Interesting how they (enforced?) encouraged people to buy electric over ICE by charging a $12,000. fee for ICE license plates, but waived the fee if someone bought an electric car instead. Of course most people will choose to save $12,000. and would buy an electric car.

America has such a car culture it's going to cling onto ICE cars as long as it can,.. so I expect the US to do something similar. Something that really punishes someone for owning and wanting to use an ICE vehicle.

It's too bad the US doesn't invest more infrastructure in separate bike lanes removed from traffic. I was reading yesterday that the Netherlands and other countries invested in bike lanes in their cities that have a physical barrier that separates it from cars. So you have roads for cars, lanes for bikes, and sidewalks for pedestrians. And that by keeping the traffic separate it encouraged more people to use bikes because they felt safer. And because they felt safe; more people used bikes.

A lot of Americans wouldn't use a bike because it's not safe, cars are aggressive and (skatterbrane) you off the road, and that's scary enough to keep most people off a bike. Because we just don't have the road structure for it.

The future will be interesting. I think there will be more EV cars soon because it will be too expensive to own an ICE car, and probably more bikes soon because it will be too expensive to own a car.
maxresdefault.jpg

It is interesting that in other countries biking isn't a hobby but is actually considered a valid form of transportation. They don't bike for fun they do it to get around. Apparently it's a whole different view and culture.

Probably like how in Japan and China and India you see lots of Scooters on the streets. It's just transportation.

Where here it's Cars, Motorcycles, SUVs and Pickup trucks.

America likes its big vehicles. ... but... with what I'm reading about the future it looks like that might be changing.

pnuggett

Reaction score
To release the hood after battery failure you need to separate the wheel well from the fender and reach in feeling for a cable to pull. That's bad enough but you have to do it on both sides of the car. I'd hate to have to do that in the winter up north when you have salty dirty frozen shit built up in the wheel well.

1621434290249.png

pnuggett

Reaction score

the US will most likely never catch up, and with Chinas dominance in that market it'll probably place them as the #1 super power. Which it looks like that was their plan for a very long time,.. and we went along with it out of either stupidity or short-term greed.

Interesting how they (enforced?) encouraged people to buy electric over ICE by charging a $12,000. fee for ICE license plates, but waived the fee if someone bought an electric car instead. Of course most people will choose to save $12,000. and would buy an electric car.

America has such a car culture it's going to cling onto ICE cars as long as it can,.. so I expect the US to do something similar. Something that really punishes someone for owning and wanting to use an ICE vehicle.

It's too bad the US doesn't invest more infrastructure in separate bike lanes removed from traffic. I was reading yesterday that the Netherlands and other countries invested in bike lanes in their cities that have a physical barrier that separates it from cars. So you have roads for cars, lanes for bikes, and sidewalks for pedestrians. And that by keeping the traffic separate it encouraged more people to use bikes because they felt safer. And because they felt safe; more people used bikes.

A lot of Americans wouldn't use a bike because it's not safe, cars are aggressive and (skatterbrane) you off the road, and that's scary enough to keep most people off a bike. Because we just don't have the road structure for it.

The future will be interesting. I think there will be more EV cars soon because it will be too expensive to own an ICE car, and probably more bikes soon because it will be too expensive to own a car.
View attachment 538571

It is interesting that in other countries biking isn't a hobby but is actually considered a valid form of transportation. They don't bike for fun they do it to get around. Apparently it's a whole different view and culture.

Probably like how in Japan and China and India you see lots of Scooters on the streets. It's just transportation.

America likes its big vehicles. ... but... with what I'm reading about the future it looks like that might be changing.
We've done a wonderful job building up China.

We have different logistics in the U.S. regarding bike transportation. It can work in some urban areas depending on weather.

Every year since 2010, the amount of time the average American spends commuting to work has gotten longer and longer. In 2015, more than 3.6 million Americans traveled 90 minutes to work – each way.

Over the course of an entire year, Americans who spend 26 minutes (the national average) driving to and from work give up nine full days to their commute. For the millions who commute 90 minutes each way, more than a month each year is committed to the time just getting to the office.

Olds442

Reaction score
had a pontiac solstice a while back.in order to replace the battery all you had to do was remove the front fender.at least it was a teeny little fender,probably weighed 10 pounds.
a guy around the corner has a solstice with an add on body kit. it makes it look very similar to a cobra from the front. i like the solstice and the saturn version, but didn't fit in either too well at 6'3". cool cars.

Over the course of an entire year, Americans who spend 26 minutes (the national average) driving to and from work give up nine full days to their commute. For the millions who commute 90 minutes each way, more than a month each year is committed to the time just getting to the office.
not anymore. the "office" world just changed. i doubt 50% of the WFH folks ever return to the office. probably less than that.

Olds442

Reaction score
To release the hood after battery failure you need to separate the wheel well from the fender and reach in feeling for a cable to pull. That's bad enough but you have to do it on both sides of the car. I'd hate to have to do that in the winter up north when you have salty dirty frozen shit built up in the wheel well.

View attachment 538573
why would you bother with 24hr roadside assistance? are you trying to put @Tone deaf out of work?

only think of yourself... :rolleyes:

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score

View attachment 538571

if they would have planned the cities out that way originally, or jumped on it earlier, that would work fine. but now most cities don't have the room to add it, and nobody is giving up their cars. if someone grew up riding their bike for transportation, then they'd probably be fine using for short range commutes, and lots of them probably still do. but asking the average american to stop driving around town?? groceries, baby seats, weather, bad knees.... there's an almost endless list of reasons why 75% of us would just be like "nah". plus, bikes can get stolen way easier than cars. you can't lock your belongings in a bike.
it just doesn't fit our culture, for the most part.
i'd love to ride my bike to work, but it would look weird in the stairways on the ships.

Olds442

Reaction score
here the gubmint gave a $7,500 tax break if you bought an EV. Once over a certain amount of cars sold, that dropped to half, then halved again. different states also offer "rebates" of sorts for new EV purchases.

GM, Nissan and Tesla are over the threshold of cars sold, so buyers don't get the $7,500 back on any EVs from them. They are petitioning the current admin to change that back, so they are on a more level field with the latecomers, Ford, Audi, VW, etc. it'll probably go through, is my guess.

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
if they would have planned the cities out that way originally, or jumped on it earlier, that would work fine. but now most cities don't have the room to add it, and nobody is giving up their cars. if someone grew up riding their bike for transportation, then they'd probably be fine using for short range commutes, and lots of them probably still do. but asking the average american to stop driving around town?? groceries, baby seats, weather, bad knees.... there's an almost endless list of reasons why 75% of us would just be like "nah". plus, bikes can get stolen way easier than cars. you can't lock your belongings in a bike.
it just doesn't fit our culture, for the most part.
i'd love to ride my bike to work, but it would look weird in the stairways on the ships.
idk, there's electric bikes now with motors, they're (sort of) motorcycles, just not anywhere near as fast, top speed is 28mph. But if you're just going 2 miles down the road to get a couple things or visiting a friend I could see it as a viable alternative. I've ordered one myself so I'll see how it goes. For just getting around town though it seems like it will be fun.

1621437643369.png

but I plan on using bike paths and sidewalks when I have to. I'd prefer not to be in the street because people drive like assholes. We have very wide paths and sidewalks around here for the most part. And technically since it has pedals it's a "bike", so I can ride it on the paths. I just wouldn't gun the throttle and try to go full speed on a bike path. :laugh2: I'd ride on the street in neighborhoods but not the local main roads.

the stolen thing is a concern, I'm going to get a couple heavy duty locks but I don't really plan on leaving it out of sight if I can help it.

Marshall & Moonshine

Reaction score
idk, there's electric bikes now with motors, they're (sort of) motorcycles, just not anywhere near as fast, top speed is 28mph. But if you're just going 2 miles down the road to get a couple things or visiting a friend I could see it as a viable alternative. I've ordered one myself so I'll see how it goes. For just getting around town though it seems like it will be fun.

View attachment 538595

but I plan on using bike paths and sidewalks when I have to. I'd prefer not to be in the street because people drive like assholes. We have very wide paths and sidewalks around here for the most part. And technically since it has pedals it's a "bike", so I can ride it on the paths. I just wouldn't gun the throttle and try to go full speed on a bike path. :laugh2: I'd ride on the street in neighborhoods but not the local main roads.

the stolen thing is a concern, I'm going to get a couple heavy duty locks but I don't really plan on leaving it out of sight if I can help it.
that thing looks really cool. you gotta see if you can get some saddle bags for it.

Olds442

Reaction score
i am looking forward to the review on that as well.

KK: complains that EV batteries explode.

also KK: buys EV bike with the batteries in front of his nut sack.

couldn't resist. :D

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
that thing looks really cool. you gotta see if you can get some saddle bags for it.
yup, I ordered the bike plus fenders, headlight grill (to protect the glass), and rear-rack w/ saddlebags..

1621438332249.png

i think it looks cooler without the bags, but I want to be able to carry some tools and water, bike locks, etc. so bags it is.

I do like that it reminds me of old WW2 bikes...

1621438401040.png

this is the video that sold me on it. It's a throttle test, no pedaling...

pnuggett

Reaction score
yup, I ordered the bike plus fenders, headlight grill (to protect the glass), and rear-rack w/ saddlebags..

View attachment 538596

i think it looks cooler without the bags, but I want to be able to carry some tools and water, bike locks, etc. so bags it is.

I do like that it reminds me of old WW2 bikes...

View attachment 538597

this is the video that sold me on it. It's a throttle test, no pedaling...

Needs a sidecar.

Kamen_Kaiju

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I've seen a guy online who built one for his dog.

I bought 2 white Star stickers for the 'tank', not 100% sure yet whether I'll use them though. I'm also tempted to get the classic and slightly cliche flaming skull,... because flaming skull :dude:

1621440092584.png

Last edited:

Latest Threads