Hooray for EVs!

MikeyTheCat

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
where a 12v runs the radio, screen and electrical stuff?

like every other car ever made?

but in a tesla, it's completely stupid?

m-kay.
Just the location, which goes up there with Chrysler had it so to change your battery you had to remove one of the front wheels.

Olds442

Reaction score
Just the location, which goes up there with Chrysler had it so to change your battery you had to remove one of the front wheels.
it's on the top, right behind the frunk. they moved it there from way down below a bunch of shit. it's probably in the best place it can be.

is it perfect, probably not. every car has a battery and at some point, it will die.

pnuggett

Reaction score
where a 12v runs the radio, screen and electrical stuff?

like every other car ever made?

but in a tesla, it's completely stupid?

m-kay.
Yes, it's stupid. If they are going to use a separate battery for accessories it should at least be able to be kept charged through the main battery. If that's not possible still the location and inaccessibility is nuts. You go on vacation and come home to that? Fail.

pnuggett

Reaction score
it's on the top, right behind the frunk. they moved it there from way down below a bunch of shit. it's probably in the best place it can be.

is it perfect, probably not. every car has a battery and at some point, it will die.
Did you actually watch the video?

Olds442

Reaction score
Yes, it's stupid. If they are going to use a separate battery for accessories it should at least be able to be kept charged through the main battery. If that's not possible still the location and inaccessibility is nuts. You go on vacation and come home to that? Fail.
i drove to work, it was fine. i came out and it wouldn't start.

fucking infiniti! say it with me. fucking infiniti!
Did you actually watch the video?
yep, and i understand the entire process. completely. in function it's just like any car. can you pop the hood on your porsche when the fob dies? no, and you can't open a porsche with a dead battery, even if the fob is working.

i know, i had one stuck on the show floor in vegas and almost handed the morning convention service person a 911 in the middle of her ballroom, where she thought she was having a breakfast for some media group.

why tesla couldn't just put two "poles" somewhere you can access to jump it may be a good idea, or not. i'm no EV engineer and don't play one on the internet. :dunno:

but you are complaining about a "problem" that exists on every car. batteries die. just is.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
It's a great car. Currently looking at converting it to a 4 speed. Currently the car has a Turbo 350 trans with a Hurst 1/4 Stick.

Interior.jpg

Side Burns

#==€@)
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
The battery charging strategy needs updating.

Your HV system stops charging the 12v battery because the HV battery is charged regardless of the LV being below 11V?

The car can be rendered unusable from a dead battery with it plugged in?

Thats not smart, come on now.

lancpudn

Reaction score
My MG ZS ev doesn't have a frunk/froot :eek: The 12V battery is accessible without removing anything but the Tesla cars are way more technical than mine,

There are people who have had trouble with a flat 12V battery on these cars though but from what I've read it's usually because they spend 45 mins -1 hour charging using the infotainment system watching a video without the car being turned on in "Ready mode" that mode will charge the car when charging the HV battery between 13,2 & 14.2 amps.
That's on AC charging though, I'm not sure on DC fast charging as I've never used a fast charger yet :shock:

You can see the 12V battery status at the bottom of the left dial.

From what I've gleaned about Tesla cars that are not used for a few weeks is they have way more systems running than this MG ZS ev and also a vampire drain whereas the car is continually calling the mother ship reporting the cars systems amongst other things like Sentry mode etc.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Unbelievably stupid? To use a car battery in a car?

The battery died in my Infiniti the other day, where was the outrage over the horrible Nissan engineering? Lol
to be fair did the battery dying in your Nissan completely lock you out of the Nissan and force you to dismantle the car to replace the battery?

C'mon man you have to admit that was pretty stupid.

but you are complaining about a "problem" that exists on every car. batteries die. just is.
I have never seen a car where a dead battery completely locks you out of the car. That's just stupid engineering. You have to admit that.

Battery dies (as they do), now the car is bricked and you can't unlock the doors or pop the hood to change the stupid battery? That's just dumb. You can't possibly be defending that .. it's retarded.

Olds442

Reaction score
1 to be fair did the battery dying in your Nissan completely lock you out of the Nissan and force you to dismantle the car to replace the battery?

2 C'mon man you have to admit that was pretty stupid.

3 I have never seen a car where a dead battery completely locks you out of the car. That's just stupid engineering. You have to admit that.

4 Battery dies (as they do), now the car is bricked and you can't unlock the doors or pop the hood to change the stupid battery? That's just dumb. You can't possibly be defending that .. it's retarded.
1 - my fab did open the door, but i was stuck until family could arrive to get a jump. but does nissan send a mobile unit to fix it on the spot? nope. you have 24 hr roadside so if this happened, you just call them, they send help. probably jump it like any other 12v.

2 eh, not the best engineering. why not have a pop out door with two 12v battery posts so you can just jump it? i'm no ev engineer but i always wondered that about the 12v. seemed ridiculously tough to get to it for a simple jump. you can't help others who would need juice. probably liability lawyer type crap but i thought it was a negative, if you will.

3, i have. see my comment about the dead 911 in the ballroom. we had to use these 4 wheel jacks under each tire, push it to the freight elevator, then used cooking oil to slide it onto the flatbed from the loading dock. he winched it, but it slid on used crisco.

4 no like i said, not the best design but it's not just tesla. see the 911 fiasco. i would wager you see more of this "stupid" as cars become more like you phone than like your lawnmower.

5 i get that people hate them, that's fine, don't buy one. they aren't going to save the planet or make a latte taste good. but they are fun cars to drive, if you're into that kind of thing.

6 neighbor that reviews cars had a Mach E for a week. i got to drive it and whatnot. I think it's styling is great, i like the vehicle. should it be called a mustang? that's just laughable. but it was a nice SUV. (cough kinda slow cough) would i pay the ask for one? nope. not for everyone, but they are selling fairly well.

7 for all the crying James did in his video, did he sell the tesla? haha, nope. ;)

Olds442

Reaction score
From what I've gleaned about Tesla cars that are not used for a few weeks is they have way more systems running than this MG ZS ev and also a vampire drain whereas the car is continually calling the mother ship reporting the cars systems amongst other things like Sentry mode etc.
there's a long term setting you can engage for when you're going out of town, etc. it keeps vampire drain to a minimum on the systems. i forget what it's called, but it's there and i'd wager James wasn't using it.

Kamen_Kaiju

smiling politely as they dream of savage things
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I didn't say i hate it, just that i think that's a dumb engineering choice on their part.

Olds442

Reaction score
I didn't say i hate it, just that i think that's a dumb engineering choice on their part.
I'd wager it wasn't their worst engineering mistake. They've had a bunch. Now they have a delivery problem because of a part shortage.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
had a pontiac solstice a while back.in order to replace the battery all you had to do was remove the front fender.at least it was a teeny little fender,probably weighed 10 pounds.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
EVs pay my bills. I love 'em. Please buy more of them.

I was looking at '68 Mustang Fastbacks online.

Please buy more EVs so I can buy this classic car.

Last edited:

Latest Threads