Hook Up Question.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
This thread isn’t about what you think. You see, I just bought a Vox Classic Rock headphone amp with reverb, delay and chorus. FX adjustable to a degree. I like it though my headphones. I would like to run its FX through my tube amp. But the only output is a stereo 1/8” inch plug in. So what I am looking for is a converter from 1/8” male to a 1/4” female output. If there were still “RadioShack” I could resolve this matter quickly. But they are gone, so help!

diavolo

Reaction score
This thread isn’t about what you think. You see, I just bought a Vox Classic Rock headphone amp with reverb, delay and chorus. FX adjustable to a degree. I like it though my headphones. I would like to run its FX through my tube amp. But the only output is a stereo 1/8” inch plug in. So what I am looking for is a converter from 1/8” male to a 1/4” female output. If there were still “RadioShack” I could resolve this matter quickly. But they are gone, so help!
you mean through the speaker cab?

i dont know enough about the vox, i think it puts out 2 watts?
amping an amped signal can be bad. you probably don't want to run that into the front of your amp.

It might not be able to drive your cab because of impedance, the vox headphone amp is designed to drive headphones not whatever speaker you have in your cab.

I suggest more research to avoid damage to any of your gear.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
My intent is to run the Vox through an amp or PA, not through a speaker cab. I don’t think the Vox has enough power to damage an amp. It has adjustable gain and volume down to zero. And I have played a vintage Rockman through the front of amps before.

Last edited:

diavolo

Reaction score
My intent is to run the Vox through an amp or PA, not through a speaker cab. I don’t think the Vox has enough power to damage an amp. It has adjustable gain and volume down to zero. And I have played a vintage Rockman through the front of amps before.
Well let us know how it goes. Perhaps it will sound ok, or maybe it will compress your sound a lot and clip it into distortion. At worst it slightly or totally cooks your preamp. Not worth the risk in my opinion, but its your gear.

Makes me wonder if it would be better to run it into the return of the effects loop? and that would bypass your amp's preamp section (possibly) preventing it from getting the amped signal from the headphone amp.

Curious why you want to put a headphone amp into the front of a guitar amp anyways? Just for the effects it has?
The preamp section of your guitar amp is going to change the tone that youre hearing in headphones when youre using the headphone amp as a headphone amp, and not as a preamp to a preamp into a poweramp.

i looked up what a Rockman is, the headphone amp from the 80s?
i saw it has a low output, and a bunch of different ways to hook it up to things. seemed much more versatile than the Vox headphone amp you're trying to get to do something it wasnt designed to do.

For the sake of your gear, I hope youre right and you find a tone you like.

efstop

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well let us know how it goes. Perhaps it will sound ok, or maybe it will compress your sound a lot and clip it into distortion. At worst it slightly or totally cooks your preamp. Not worth the risk in my opinion, but its your gear.

Makes me wonder if it would be better to run it into the return of the effects loop? and that would bypass your amp's preamp section (possibly) preventing it from getting the amped signal from the headphone amp.

Curious why you want to put a headphone amp into the front of a guitar amp anyways? Just for the effects it has?
The preamp section of your guitar amp is going to change the tone that youre hearing in headphones when youre using the headphone amp as a headphone amp, and not as a preamp to a preamp into a poweramp.

i looked up what a Rockman is, the headphone amp from the 80s?
i saw it has a low output, and a bunch of different ways to hook it up to things. seemed much more versatile than the Vox headphone amp you're trying to get to do something it wasnt designed to do.

For the sake of your gear, I hope youre right and you find a tone you like.
No harm will occur with a headphone amp plugged into a guitar amp.

Jim Dunlop owns the rights to Rockman and the "Rockman Ace" retails for $90.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
I just want to use the FX from the Vox, and will try the return jack on the amp. What I am trying to do is to reduce the bulk of my rig so I can take it to a jam or such without hiring a moving company. Maybe DavGrape will chime in on this. From his post above, it looks like he has used the Vox through an amp.

Dolebludger

Reaction score
OK, I ordered the converter plug shown in post #4 above. In fact, I got two for less than $10. I got them this evening. I will try them tomorrow through my “carry around” amp. I’ll report how this works here — if I survive!

Dolebludger

Reaction score
OK, here is how it all turned out. I adapted the input of the Vox to plug into a Xvive guitar wireless receiver, and adapted the headphone output of the Vox to plug into the input of the amp, which is a Bugera V 22.I adjusted the Vox to its lowest settings on delay, reverb, and chorus, and to a low level of gain. I turned the volume down on the Vox until any hiss from the amp was gone. Then I turned the transmitter on the Xvive guitar remote on and plugged it into my PRS SE and played.

OMG, I got the best cleans and distorted tones out of that rig in my life! Nothing blew up. I didn’t die. I just discovered that, after all these years, I can still play to sound good! I am not saying that a Vox Classic Rock headphone amp can be useable FX through any amp. Only tried it through the Bug. But in the next few days I’ll try this out through my Soul Tramp Wraith and my Genz Benz Tribal 60. I’ll post the results right here after I do.

Latest Threads