honey bee deaths, new study

76 ibanez 2619

Reaction score
Hey Geo! You got the know all, checkout the demise of brown bats also.

White-Nose Syndrome | OBC

Back when I was a caver there were certain caves you weren't allowed to go in at certain times of the year because of endangered species of bats.
Now the Brown Bat! I remember the first time I saw one up close and personal. It was summer so I wasn't waking it up from hibernation. Eye to eye we were. Fascinating creatures.

It is quite worrysome about the bees. I read about this at least 10 years ago.
I know a bee keeper and the best honey I got from him was cotton honey of all things.

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Back when I was a caver there were certain caves you weren't allowed to go in at certain times of the year because of endangered species of bats.
Now the Brown Bat! I remember the first time I saw one up close and personal. It was summer so I wasn't waking it up from hibernation. Eye to eye we were. Fascinating creatures.

I know a bee keeper and the best honey I got from him was cotton honey of all things.

sorry, i'm not up on bats, can't stay abreast of everything..... the bees story caught my attention because of the heavy agricultural dependence we have we them, they are critical to our existence.

HenryHill

Reaction score

They make you walk on special wet mats to clean your shoes before and after you take a tour in Mammoth Cave now.

You can touch the walls of the cave, and they don't make you wash your hands, so WTF difference does this actually make? The White Nose Syndrome fungus can still be on your clothes or hands, if you go into other caves and then into Mammoth, or vice versa.

I have the feeling it is futile, like the rules of not transporting firewood up north in MI to stop the spread of the White Ash killing bug Emerald Ash Borer. People will keep on doing it, and the bug responsible, an import from Asia, will spread throughout it's temperature and ash habitat range naturally anyway.

Emerald ash borer - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Same goes for Asian Carp poised to infect the Great Lakes and compete and kill off the native game fish. DNA is already shown to be present in the lakes, and Chicago doesn't want their man made waterway to Lake MI closed to prevent the infestation. It is going to happen, and MONEY is the reason that the Great Lakes States can't get Chicago to close off the connection to the Mississippi that was created in the last century for shipping. The Band Aid methods proposed by the Feds is a waste of money and will prove ineffective, and the game fish of the Great Lakes will be wiped out by shitty useless Asian Carp. These came to the US in ballast tanks of freighters importing cheap shit.

MineGoesTo11

Reaction score
The planet and life on it will continue, whether we are here or not. We started walking upright thousands of years ago and we've been getting over ourselves ever since.

Kezman

Reaction score
Indeed!

Sorry I should have been more specific.

Humanity is overdue for a die off. Our population is still surging however.

India, the group of male children below the age of five, at about 60 million, rivals the entire population size of France...... just saying :shock:
Now back to the Bee's :)

Markie A

Reaction score
that statement was released in may, before this study came out.... yes we need those bees.

My bad.................. I was looking at the date your source's findings were received!

Editor: Fabio S. Nascimento, Universidade de São Paulo, Faculdade de Filosofia Ciências e Letras de Ribeirão Preto, Brazil

Received: March 25, 2013; Accepted: June 16, 2013; Published: July 24, 2013

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
India, the group of male children below the age of five, at about 60 million, rivals the entire population size of France...... just saying :shock:
Now back to the Bee's :)

while its well known that the population of india is huge, the area of india is 1.269 million sq miles, the area of france is 260,558 sq miles..... a little context.

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I do miss the insects I knew as a 1950's kid. However, my neighbor has a whopper plant that does not produce big flowers. The bees were there big time never the less. I hate what we are doing with all our fancy growing methods. We do have to feed us. I'm glad there is a concerted effort to save the insects. The insects will figure it out despite us.

hecube

Reaction score
I do miss the insects I knew as a 1950's kid. However, my neighbor has a whopper plant that does not produce big flowers. The bees were there big time never the less. I hate what we are doing with all our fancy growing methods. We do have to feed us. I'm glad there is a concerted effort to save the insects. The insects will figure it out despite us.

There couldn't be a more misleading statement.

Yes we do have to feed us, but first we have to reign our unbridled population growth.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score

Yes we do have to feed us, but first we have to reign our unbridled population growth.

Who's going to decide which "us" gets to eat and which "us" gets reigned in? Save the bees...screw the humans...I get it.:thumb:

upl8tr

Reaction score
Who's going to decide which "us" gets to eat and which "us" gets reigned in? Save the bees...screw the humans...I get it.:thumb:

Obviously or should I say as usual, the rich will decide who gets to eat and it will be themselves of course. The rest of us will take the place of the bees, not so difficult to figure out, no matter what side of the rich line you fall. :thumb:

hecube

Reaction score

That's not what I wrote.

My position is that there should be a drastic, even painful, worldwide birth control program in effect to cut population in all countries by half of what they currently are, if not more.

I'm not advocating starving people to death.

KSG_Standard

Reaction score
You're advocating for control over people's lives that no gov't should have. Starve them, sterilize them, control them...it's an old story, it's been tried before...no thanks.

hecube

Reaction score
You're advocating for control over people's lives that no gov't should have. Starve them, sterilize them, control them...it's an old story, it's been tried before...no thanks.

Then we're in for a very painful awakening

fett

Get fett. It pays.
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Back up a bit. There is a big issue about pollinators. They have to survive. And they will. I hope.

msfenderarg

Banned
Reaction score

You go first...:cool:

taxresist2herbst.jpg

HRC

Reaction score
There's still a lot of bees, butterflies and grasshoppers around here.
Out at my cottage (about 50 miles south of Chicago) their all plentiful.

Latest Threads