honey bee deaths, new study

parts

Reaction score
We got de Killah Bees..here..
A couple were attacked again today..to horese died..the people are still alive,,

This was earlier
Horrifying' bee attack killed rappeller dangling from cliff
Fellow climbers, working by lamplight, recover body of 'all-around good guy'
Print Email
May 09, 2013 12:00 am • Doug Kreutz Arizona Daily Star

Tucson rock climber Steven Johnson - found dead on a cliff Monday after suffering hundreds of bee stings - was remembered Wednesday as a spirited climber and valued friend.

"Steve was a well-liked, long-standing, integral part of the Tucson climbing community," said Jason Mullins, owner of the Rocks and Ropes climbing gym. "We're all saddened by the news. He'll be greatly missed."

Johnson, 55, who was found suspended from anchors on a sheer cliff, died as a result of "mass envenomation" resulting from hundreds of bee stings, said Dr. Gregory Hess, chief medical examiner for Pima County.

"It was tragic and horrifying," said Eric Rhicard, one of four climbers who recovered Johnson's body from the cliff near Mount Hopkins, south of Tucson.

Rhicard and his fellow climbers went to the area Monday, after learning late in the afternoon that Johnson had planned to look into some climbs there on Sunday - and then didn't show up for work Monday.

One of the climbers found Johnson suspended on the cliff. After conferring with Santa Cruz County sheriff's authorities, Rhicard and the other climbers set out to reach their friend.

Rhicard said it appeared that Johnson had rappelled on a rope partway down the cliff to determine if he could climb a new route on the rock face.

"His rope was hanging off the cliff very near this beehive - within a few feet of it," Rhicard found when he climbed toward Johnson's body. "If the rope moved, the bees could have come out. Or it could have been a new swarm that moved in. I have no clue as to exactly what happened."

A DIFFICULT RECOVERY

Rhicard and the other climbers, working after nightfall by the light of headlamps and a large spotlight, secured anchors and ropes to lower Johnson's body to the ground.

"We got him down to the ground at 10:30 or 11" Monday night, he said.

Members of the Santa Cruz County search-and-rescue unit arrived later with a stretcher to transport the body, Rhicard said.

He said the climbers found Johnson's small dog, which also had been killed by bee stings, and buried it on the mountain.

FRIENDS, FAMILY MOURN

"We are all just missing him like crazy," said Maria Nasif, a Tucson climber and professional photographer. "He's been a friend of mine for 15 years. I climbed with him just a couple of weeks ago."

Said Rhicard, "He was a competent climber and an all-around good guy. He was loved by everybody. He went out of his way to be friendly. This is a great loss."

Kyle Johnson, son of the deceased climber, said in a brief interview that no plans have been made yet for services or a memorial.

"I'd like to thank the climbing community who reached out to my younger brother and my older sister and me," Johnson said. "We greatly appreciate it."

geochem1st

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
We got de Killah Bees..here..
A couple were attacked again today..to horese died..the people are still alive,,

horrible stories.... and another blunder caused by humans messing with nature and having it backfire.

QBob

Banned
Reaction score
No chit, in the good 'ol days all we had to worry about was rattlesnakes and scorpions. Damn bees are bringing down the neighborhood! :laugh2:

180gROC

Reaction score
More people should keep bees. Every established hive helps. It's nothing to have a couple hives in your yard.

The hardest work is harvesting the honey and that is pure joy. Keeping bees is low maintenance and easy to do and benefits humanity directly, starting with the beekeeper.

Honey%20July%202013-8772.jpg

Not all honeybees are killers. My Italians are straight up docile. Here they are cleaning up the filter after harvest.

bees-8802.jpg

I go into and through this hive in shorts and tee shirts with no head netting. A couple puffs of smoke and they could care less.

Bees-6969.jpg

Don't use chemicals in your garden! If you really want your garden to thrive, bee hives are really good for that as well. Haven't seen a bee in forever? I learned how to keep bees in a month or two, on youtube. Anybody can do this and if everyone stewarded a hive or two this problem could be overcome.

Arzachel

Reaction score
We built this down the bottom of the garden its not finished yet but is already full of solitary bees :thumb: we were having a family bbq recently and a swarm of honey bees flew over which was an awesome sight and bloody loud

this year we have seen lots more butterflies about too than in previous which is excellent

P1060087_zps00bd264f.jpg

Chilli

Reaction score
Economics again, profit trumps common sense.

On a more positive note my bee keeping brother has good things going on with his hives this year and loads of honey (yum). He has concentrated carefully hive hygiene.

QBob

Banned
Reaction score
[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opVpTkoCCeo"]Frank Marino & Mahogany Rush - "I'm a King Bee" 1978 - YouTube[/ame]

Kezman

Reaction score
I don't see bees anymore.......................
I see hornets and wasps everywhere though :(

hornet.jpg

wasp.jpg

Thundergod

Reaction score
I was born in 1995. I remember seeing bees in my backyard all the time as a little kid. I never see them anymore. Without them, everything we have is going to die. We will have artificially pollinate things to get them to reproduce, and that will kill food costs and kill the poor.

Then corporations will use the marketing machine to make it cool to feed on the corpses of the poor.

Remember I said it. Ten years.

Thundergod

Reaction score
I might get flamed for this but nature will fight back. Sadly the damage will probably be too much to be undone in a short time. And hopefully it will fight back in a swift and powerful way that will leave us with no time to come up with something to counter.

Imagine if one day ants "decided" to eat us all in our sleep. There's little we could do about it. Same with bees and wasps. Don't even think about smaller, stronger organisms.

lǎo​wài

It's All About the Maos
Reaction score
I might get flamed for this but nature will fight back. Sadly the damage will probably be too much to be undone in a short time. And hopefully it will fight back in a swift and powerful way that will leave us with no time to come up with something to counter.

Imagine if one day ants "decided" to eat us all in our sleep. There's little we could do about it. Same with bees and wasps. Don't even think about smaller, stronger organisms.

A lack of bees will make you buy more food from the companies that caused the lack of bees.

'Murica

hecube

Reaction score

That's magical thinking. One of humans' most "endearing" traits. Deus ex machina in other words. The source of all religions if you want me to spell it out for you.

hecube

Reaction score
I like this quote from E. O. Wilson:

for each careless step we take, our species will ultimately pay an unwelcome price - always.

180gROC

Reaction score
On the other hand, we are kinda overdue for a die-off anyways...

180gROC

Reaction score
we are in the middle of one now.....biodiversity has decreased exponentially.

Indeed!

Sorry I should have been more specific.

Humanity is overdue for a die off. Our population is still surging however.

HenryHill

Reaction score
Protection for the producers of these fungicides and pesticides that been linked to the bee die off, and the protection of GMO producers are two of the reasons that Putin has been on the rag towards the US lately.

I can understand that.

But by always siding with our enemies, he is not helping things either.

Current International Relations are very much like Congressional cooperation; poor to nil.

I look for nothing to change.

Latest Threads