Homing Devices/Microchips for Expensive Gear

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Shipping companies (and Gibson) use chips for tracking, but these are passive systems, activated by an RFID scanner.
They are not actively transmitting.
Same as with a pet... the person scanning the chip has to know where it is implanted.

The best thing going is Tile, but it is not without its problems.

It will track directly on your app if you are within range.
IF it is near another Tile user who has their app set to share location data, then your Tile may be traceable when you are not nearby.
But that is a couple of big "ifs" that severely impact the reliability of the system.

My wife and I both have the Tile app, and it seems like they don't even regularly transmit when I know one of them is nearby.
I don't know if the phone is putting the app to sleep as "infrequently used", or if the app is simply not launching when the phone is rebooted.

Ya, it's not a bad idea to toss a Tile into the case, or hide one in the control cavity (you didn't shield it, did you?)
But to rely on it?
The best insurance is to buy insurance.

parts

Reaction score
Insurance for a "non paid player/collector" is inexpensive..or..you have the wrong agent and/or company.

I would really be upset if my '71 LPC" was stolen..or my old Strat even my .'68 Dove..or my 1965 ES175

However I have two guitars that probably would be impossible to replace..Custom built 1966 ES355 and 1965 J200 Custom. I have the build orders but doubt that Gibson would build them these days.

I have them all insured at quite honestly very little cost compared to their loss/replacement amount. Might be good to check around for better homeowners insurance.
No police will be tracking down your guitars.. Even Lo-Jack on cars is limited..especially after it's in Mexico..and Lt Colombo is dead..

Last edited:

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Circa 2002 a rep was making a presentation on the capabilities of a tracking device. He had placed a 'Logger' on his wife's car, for demonstration purposes, and brought it up on the screen in real time, during the presentation. Apparently, he went pale and was at a loss for words and said something to the effect that her car was at her ex-boyfriend's.

I suspect a lot of those mini chips on Amazon are purchased by suspicious spouses.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Insurance for a "non paid player/collector" is inexpensive..or..you have the wrong agent and/or company.

I would really be upset if my '71 LPC" was stolen..or my old Strat even my .'68 Dove..or my 1965 ES175

However I have two guitars that probably would be impossible to replace..Custom built 1966 ES355 and 1965 J200 Custom. I have the build orders but doubt that Gibson would build them these days.

I have them all insured at quite honestly very little cost compared to their loss/replacement amount. Might be good to check around for better homeowners insurance.
No police will be tracking down your guitars.. Even Lo-Jack on cars is limited..especially after it's in Mexico..and Lt Colombo is dead..
In the US, home owners policy with "Scheduled" items as needed.

Zungle

Reaction score

This....^^^^^^^^^

Yep.....

A simple rider on Home Owners policy will cover your gear it's easy and affordable.......

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

rogue3

Reaction score
Hey, it was just a thought that got no real returns on google. I am not terrified about anything happening, but I am f%$king tired of insurance companies ripping me off. And there is a helluva better chance of recovering your stuff if you know where it is verses the opposite.

i have game cameras in the woods 70 miles from here that I can watch from my phone 24/7 for a small fee. This could be done, just nobody has.
In 1977, i insured several guitars...with a rider while travelling.Replacement value.That lasted one year.

Today i have content insurance.Not expensive,but not replacement.I'll get something back.Good enough.

If you have a lot of stuff,you are probably being a little paranoid about it? Still,consider where you live,is there a lot of crime? if so...

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
Buy you a really reputable gun safe with removable shelving......send me the remainder of the money you were going to spend on insurance etc.

Zungle

Reaction score
Buy you a really reputable gun safe with removable shelving......send me the remainder of the money you were going to spend on insurance etc.
I have a decent safe......

But always felt like

Stand alone safes are great to keep little ones from your guns, ammo etc and fire protection for documents.....

After that they're just a big easy to see target screaming take me !!

If you want a real safe for valuables you need a big bastard.....!!

Even when bolted down, anything under 600-700lbs is a target......with all the modern cordless tools available now days you can cut 'em out of a floor in minutes........

HardCore Troubadour

Reaction score
You need to buy a better safe, not Tractor Supply safes.....who is going to show up to burglarize your home with the tools to open or remove a safe?

Virtually no one unless you have been targeted by someone you know.

real deal right here:

Howard2k

Reaction score
You could throw an Apple AirTag or a Tile in the cavity.
Probably a Tile. The AirTag has a better network but it's not really for tracking stolen devices, more for finding shit that's lost.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
I have a decent safe......

But always felt like

Stand alone safes are great to keep little ones from your guns, ammo etc and fire protection for documents.....

After that they're just a big easy to see target screaming take me !!

If you want a real safe for valuables you need a big bastard.....!!

Even when bolted down, anything under 600-700lbs is a target......with all the modern cordless tools available now days you can cut 'em out of a floor in minutes........
My neighborhood growing up, EVERYONE had guns... usually rolled up in a blanket in the corner of Dad's closet.
We knew there would be hell to pay if anything anywhere near that corner of the closet was disturbed.

Running joke... any time someone's home got burglarized... "Oh, Red just bought a gun safe, didn't he?" "Yup"

Don't know if it was neighborhood kids who watched the delivery, or inside work by the delivery guys, but it seemed like every time someone bought a safe, they got burgled within a few weeks.

I brought my safe in myself (with a friend) in a refrigerator box.

efstop

The dickens you say!
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to move soon, and all my amps wil be in cardboard boxes, even if I have to fabricate a few. I can get multiples of the smaller ones in the same box. I haven't figured out how to disguise 18 guitars. A refrigerator carton would be nasty, weight wise.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Take them yourself…. Period

also I Rarely keep all the guitars in one room… they are all over the house …

once I gathered all the guitars for a photo (I had a bunch Les Pauls and other custom shop stuff ) and then I did the math …. Holy shit there was close to 80k in that room…

so don’t make it easy…

split them up, use decoys … like a cheap Asian one handy and easy…

Also food for thought … I own expensive telescope gear… mount, optical tube, cameras (they image all night) sometimes … try leaving that ….outside !! In the yard overnight …several actually..

Talk about nervous….

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
Take them yourself…. Period
Yep.

I intend to leave California when I retire.
I will not trust my guns and guitars to a mover.
I will not leave my guns and guitars in the back of a u-haul overnight in a motel parking lot.

Thus: I will be moving to a location that we can drive to in a single day.

Not New Mexico.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
I tape a piece of paper on the back of the truss rod cover or rear plastic where a tech would find it on all of my guitars that reads "Stolen. Call Tim. xxx-xxxx", which reminds me I just sold one yesterday and forgot to remove it. Oops.

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Reaction score
I tape a piece of paper on the back of the truss rod cover or rear plastic where a tech would find it on all of my guitars that reads "Stolen. Call Tim. xxx-xxxx", which reminds me I just sold one yesterday and forgot to remove it. Oops.
That's a great idea.
Could do the same in the neck pocket of a Fender.

Sct13

Reaction score
Yea ,,, in fact I’m “stealing” this idea!!

Sct13

Reaction score
So it’s story time…

I left a beloved guitar at a “friends” house… maybe a month…I was, and still am, someone who will go into a pawn shop every now and again. Just to see what’s in … well I looked up at the guitars one fine day…. And there she was…

I had no idea my friend got mixed up with some crackheads and owed serious money and developed a serious habit (it killed him eventually)

but I asked to see the guitar and told the pawn guy it was mine and I could prove it.. he said too bad … it’s mine now .. you can buy it back if you want it…

so naturally I flipped out and got all huffy (stupid) but he pulled down…partly because he wanted to know how I could “prove it” and partly to shut me up…

I bought this guitar in South Korea at the factory while in the Army so it was important to me…
In the Army certain items of value must be inscribed with you social sec # … and there it was on the neck plate… I pulled out my card and showed to him…

then he handed me a form (State police report form affidavit) I had to fill it out and on the form it said I could look at the record of sale. I did ….

boy was I pissed when I read the name … fking bastard…

The story ends there,, so did our friendship. I heard through the Grapevine that he was found frozen to death in an alley some 15 years later… I never saw that guitar again. It’s relationship with that bunch was all about breaking and entering and drugs and other hooliganism wanted no association with that.

Latest Threads