Homing Devices/Microchips for Expensive Gear

dmac in SC

Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this is where to post this, so I put it here.

i have slowly been accumulating a bunch of pretty high end stuff so that I am little worried about protecting it from theft. I have looked into insurance, but that is rather expensive and, quite honestly, a total pain in the ass to set up and manage.

Is there not some type of beacon, tracking device or something that can be inconspicuously placed that will allow me to locate something should become missing ? Hey, if we can do it for pets, why not for guitars and amps.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Suppose you could. On a Les Paul my guess would be the safest, most undisturbed spot would be the switch cavity or the input jack hole.

Shipping companies use chips to track shipments so it sounds doable.

meatball

Reaction score
I use the TILE on my keys but thats only good for 200 feet max

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
there are a regular feature on my facebook feed those fund me to make it types. not seen any come to market. i also would like something that would track my property. i got my 4 added to insurance (in uk) and it was surprisingly cheap. added about £20 to annual policy with accidental damage included as well.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Yes...and no.

You can get mini trackers on Amazon that work with a mobile app. I have never used them, but I suspect that they work to some degree. The reviews are mixed. You'd want to make sure to get one that does GPS, Cell and wifi to get more precise location data but, if the GPS can't connect due to satellite obstruction, the combination of cell and wifi will only give area location (maybe within 75 yards of actual). I'd expect the GPS not to work on a guitar in a case or amps in a home or apartment building. Therefore, in a dense, urban setting, you'll know the approximate vicinity, but you won't know exactly what building, apartment or floor of where it is. I think that these would be most helpful in sending you an alert if your stuff starts to move as opposed to using it like Lojack to find your stolen goods (although in some cases it might work just fine). I don't know if local police will accept your word and your phone app as reasonable cause to knock on doors.

I have worked with a technology that solves all of these problems and would allow you to find the device within one foot of its actual location in 3D (i.e. how high off the ground it is). We spent lots of time and money on this but, we were probably too early and too expensive.

Sct13

Reaction score
You can “chip” a pet… so why not your gear?

pet chips only carry information… you want a LoJack type deal which will require a monitor (fee)

invent something… get rich

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
So who would go and try to collect the stolen gear ?? You ?? That could end up badly and it's probably not worth the cost of the guitars/gear. I doubt the police would be jumping into high gear either. Maybe I'm wrong there. I'm not in the U.S. but I bet they wouldnt do fuck all about that here. Best to just insure the hell out of them if you are that worried.

dmac in SC

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
So who would go and try to collect the stolen gear ?? You ?? That could end up badly and it's probably not worth the cost of the guitars/gear. I doubt the police would be jumping into high gear either. Maybe I'm wrong there. I'm not in the U.S. but I bet they wouldnt do fuck all about that here. Best to just insure the hell out of them if you are that worried.
Hey, it was just a thought that got no real returns on google. I am not terrified about anything happening, but I am f%$king tired of insurance companies ripping me off. And there is a helluva better chance of recovering your stuff if you know where it is verses the opposite.

i have game cameras in the woods 70 miles from here that I can watch from my phone 24/7 for a small fee. This could be done, just nobody has.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
You can “chip” a pet… so why not your gear?

pet chips only carry information… you want a LoJack type deal which will require a monitor (fee)

invent something… get rich
Did that. Didn't get rich. Timing is everything. I may revisit it in the future.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
As soon as folks start using these things, thieves will know to check for them and throw them in the nearest river. You could embed one in the body, but then you can't change the battery.

Last edited:

kelsodeez

Reaction score
Put an apple airtag in the case and lock the case with your guitar in it when you're not playing it. Otherwise I might be worried that radio frequencies could possibly mess with the sound of your guitar/amp if any type of tracker tag was installed in a cavity of the guitar.

Sct13

Reaction score
So not to go too far off topic....Drones have this tech already. I fly in fact I was "following" my wife on her run today. (she ahs been accosted by creeps in the past )

But The FAA is trying to impose a new law that would ID any Drone to its owner anytime its in the air or otherwise (Its called Remote ID) and insurance Companies want it ....Drones are the ultimate test bed...

The tech is there....the market for tacking stolen items is not ....It would take up too much band width ....

And there is the tone problem....

Lungo

Reaction score
I think you’d be better off putting money and effort into prevention of theft rather than recovery. Also record serial numbers and talk to your homeowner / rental insurance provider.

Uncle Vinnie

Proud Boomer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
If anyone stole my R6, they're fucking toast.

They'd find out real fast the definition of "vivisection"

Latest Threads