Hometown Foods

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Never heard of Jersey tomatoes?
I remember seeing those at the Greenmarket , when I lived in NYC . thought it was some sort of joke ( no offense __ but I'm sure you understand the ages old rivalry across the Bay )

didn't realize they were a real thing , until moving to PA . they're awesome !

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
In NJ, you don't have to go anywhere special or even to a supermarket to get those tomatoes - or delicious Jersey corn. There are plenty of farm stands along local and county roads where you can buy them directly from the farmer. :)

Edit: Oh! And blueberries are coming into season! Fresh blueberries and home made blueberry pies right from the farm stands! Jeez... it's no wonder I can't lose weight! :laugh2:

DotStudio

Reaction score
In NJ, you don't have to go anywhere special or even to a supermarket to get those tomatoes - or delicious Jersey corn. There are plenty of farm stands along local and county roads where you can buy them directly from the farmer. :)

Edit: Oh! And blueberries are coming into season! Fresh blueberries and home made blueberry pies right from the farm stands! Jeez... it's no wonder I can't lose weight! :laugh2:
You guys have cranberries up the wazoo too. It was a real eye opener when I went to Jersey for the first time.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
You guys have cranberries up the wazoo too. It was a real eye opener when I went to Jersey for the first time.
Big time. I used to work in the town of Cranbury too. :laugh2:

Edit: @DotStudio On another note, thank you for noticing that. Living in NJ, you sort of get used to all the "Joisey? Which exit?" jokes after hearing them 1,000 times. Most people seem to think that the entire state is some sort of toxic waste hell hole like parts in the northern area (Newark, etc.) but the reality is that there is a lot of open space, farming, culture and history here. Plus, we have a ton of diversity which makes for great food that has been cherry picked from all the different cultures that live here.

Last edited:

TheZ

Reaction score
Seattle - it's gotta be Dick's Drive-in. In fact, that's how I learned how to tune my guitar. "Eat At Dick's Great Burgers everyday"

Kamen_Kaiju

Tachibana Racing Club
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Maryland seems to be known for its steamed Blu
e Crabs covered in Old Bay seasoning out of the Chesapeake Bay.

you just get a pile of them dumped on the table and start tearing them apart...

6185108940_c7166d7670_b.jpg

that's about the only thing I can think of as "maryland food." Crab cakes from Baltimore are pretty great, too. I used to get really pissed ordering Crab Cakes in Chicago because they're just garbage. Expensive, tiny, 'nothing but filler+breadcrumbs'..garbage.

Real crab-cakes are like a bit fat patty of fried crab meat (half shredded/half chunks) almost the size of a can of tuna. You can have them like a hamburger, so ..hamburger sized. It's 'punch yo mama' good! :dude:

download.jpg

we also have crab-toast which is a slice of italian or french bread, with a scoop of crab-meat on top, then a slice of mozzarella (or provolone) cheese, then sprinkled with Old Bay and lightly toasted. That sht is THE BOMB! I can eat like 20 of them.

download.jpg

...otherwise we pretty much have everything,..italian, chinese, mexican, indian, etc. Just in varying degrees of authenticity and taste.

sticker,375x360.u2.png

Last edited:

DotStudio

Reaction score
Maryland seems to be known for its steamed Blu
e Crabs covered in Old Bay seasoning out of the Chesapeake Bay.

you just get a pile of them dumped on the table and start tearing them apart...

View attachment 252351

that's about the only thing I can think of as "maryland food." Crab cakes from Baltimore are pretty great, too. I used to get really pissed ordering Crab Cakes in Chicago because they're just garbage. Expensive, tiny, 'nothing but filler+breadcrumbs'..garbage.

Real crab-cakes are like a bit fat patty of fried crab meat (half shredded/half chunks) almost the size of a can of tuna. You can have them like a hamburger, so ..hamburger sized. It's 'punch yo mama' good! :dude:

View attachment 252352

we also have crab-toast which is a slice of italian or french bread, with a scoop of crab-meat on top, then a slice of mozzarella (or provolone) cheese, then sprinkled with Old Bay and lightly toasted. That sht is THE BOMB! I can eat like 20 of them.

View attachment 252353

...otherwise we pretty much have everything,..italian, chinese, mexican, indian, etc. Just in varying degrees of authenticity and taste.

Hanover is pretty close to Baltimore. There's not much in this world more delicious than a Maryland crab cake :thumb:

Kamen_Kaiju

Tachibana Racing Club
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hanover to me means one thing.

Utz Potato Chips. Also known as, "The Greatest Chip Known To Man."

Seriously,...Wise? Lays? Ruffles? Snyders?...GFYS. :laugh2:

UTZ > every other chip. :dude: (pringles are good for a 'fake' chip. Cape Cod chips are pretty decent.)

I use to order chips directly from Utz when I was in Chicago because I hated the chips there so much. :laugh2: Thin, greasy,... gross.

Utz.....*mmmm*....damn now I want some Utz.

seriously you can order a big box of Utz directly from them. It's a wonderful thing. :thumb:

Last edited:

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Down south in my local area, not as many old non-chain restaurants left....chain stores from hell...

We do have a a couple of non-chain BBQ places that are great...

There is one old style restaurant in the small town I live in that is still great. Any of you that were stationed down here at "Muther" know the place....and yes, it is still the same.... "He" delivered to the fields on his pickup way back until AAFES got pissed, then he parked at the Dv gate on the grass. He's still kicking... She's gone, son and grandson run it... Still get the saucer with pickles and sliced onions on the table... Breading on the skrimps are still thin and tasty, zero change... Hasn't changed much over the decades. Ate there growing up... I just turned 60...

NotScott

Reaction score
Sadly, South Florida is a wasteland when it comes to fine cuisine or anything even remotely memorable. However, the Cilantro Soup at Eduardo de San Angel in Fort Lauderdale is world-class.

fett

Reaction score
For me, it was TJ Mexico in the '70's. The street stands and food to die for. Cheap Mexican beer and Tortas.

smk506

Reaction score
Socal isn't really known for it's cuisine, but I'll tell ya, having 300+ days of warm sunny weather a year is very conductive to some prime cookouts. Burgers, brats, dog, tri tip, etc. mmmmmmmmmMmmmmmmm.

We have lots of fairly well know places to eat, but mine are all hole in the wall favorites from the San Fernando Valley;

Lamplighters, home of one of the last free lunch in the bar area, usually tacos or hot dogs but free nonetheless.

94th Aero Squadron, standard pricey food with about the coolest atmosphere in any restaurant ever. Just outside of Van Nuys airport, the place has a very cool WWII aviation theme going. Not tacky at all, very cool. They even have headphones at the tables that let you listen to the flight tower. Spend some time and feed the ducks outside. They also have a free lunch come to think of it....

Daglas, everyday is Fry Day at the Dag. HUGE pastrami sandwiches with no less than 3" of meat on a 12" roll. Pastrami spilling out all over. HUUUUUUUUGE bags of greasy seasoned fries for dirt cheap. Serious, like the brown paper sack your mom used to pack your lunch in at least 1/2 full of the tasty little bastards.

Those are just a few hometown eats I really miss from the old homestead.

Digger

Dingo Lover!
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
How I miss these! Real fish and chips.

Everything here now comes prepared and frozen apart from the fish. All the chips and potato cakes taste exactly the same wherever you go. It's ruined bought fish & chips for me I'm afraid.

Then again when I grew up F&C were served wrapped up in newspaper but the stupid health laws ruined that!

Soul Tramp

Speaker Snob
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sadly, South Florida is a wasteland when it comes to fine cuisine or anything even remotely memorable. However, the Cilantro Soup at Eduardo de San Angel in Fort Lauderdale is world-class.

The best conch chowder I've ever had was in South Florida. It was milk based (like clam chowder), not the red stuff that's available everywhere.

Slater529

Senior Citizen
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Seattle - it's gotta be Dick's Drive-in. In fact, that's how I learned how to tune my guitar. "Eat At Dick's Great Burgers everyday"

Yup... Seattle folks love their Dick's. :laugh2:

Latest Threads