Hometown Foods

DotStudio

Reaction score
Inspired by the mom's food thread, post up your town's local specialty. It can be your current town or stuff you miss. Hopefully it gives me some ideas on what to eat while traveling. Two I miss...

Famous Hot Weiner in Hanover, PA
20151125_165349.jpg

Where the locals go to eat mass quantities of chili and onions after getting off the night shift. They make them as dogs, egg sandwiches, or, my favorite, hamburgers (formed into the shape of a hot dog). You will smell like B.O. when you leave, but you'll be well fed. :laugh2:

Primanti Brothers in Pittsburgh

Just an all-American gut buster. They come in many iterations, but I'm all about the Angus steak. Fries and vinegar slaw on a sandwich?!?! Good God man!:eek2:

marksoundguitars

Chief Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
Primanti Brothers in Pittsburgh

Just an all-American gut buster. They come in many iterations, but I'm all about the Angus steak. Fries and vinegar slaw on a sandwich?!?! Good God man!:eek2:
I've heard about this. Looks like breakfast to me. ;)

DotStudio

Reaction score

since moving to the u.k. one thing I miss is Singaporean food. This is more of a Thai dish and make it a couple of times a week, very easy to cook Grapow Gy
Much healthier than my offerings, but that looks delicious!

Bytor1958

Reaction score
I'm in Texas. All I have to say is Smoked Brisket..

Now back home in Indiana. I miss the breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches. But I have found something out about those. It's actually schnitzel. My GF is German and taught me how to cook those, So now I can make my own.

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
That's a tough one as New Jersey is a pretty densely populated state so a town specialty is difficult to pinpoint. However, if there is one dish that is distinctly New Jersey, I'd have to say that it is the pork roll, egg and cheese sandwich (on a good, fresh kaiser roll, please). Awesome any time and every time, but particularly so at a diner after being out drinking all night or the following morning to help nurse a hangover.

rfl_7693[1].jpg

Last edited:

marksoundguitars

Chief Paint Sniffer
Reaction score
In OKC it's like a mishmash of everything. Good steak, barbecue (every style), TexMex, etc.

Cattlemen's is right outside the stockyards gate. For breakfast, try the calf brains and eggs (I won't, but you can :lol:). Leo & Sons is good for pork ribs and brisket, as is Billy Sims. Lots of good TexMex. Every place is different.

I stay away from the trendy new places. Too fancy, too expensive, and too many young executive types. I like it simple. ;)

Crotch

Triggered
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
We've got killer pizza.

However we are probably known for our 2 drive-ins (we have a 3rd called Andy's, but not as popular. Also good though)

Spot

and
Big Star (my fav) only opened in summer

Last edited:

SGeoff

Reaction score
That's a tough one as New Jersey is a pretty densely populated state so a town specialty is difficult to pinpoint. However, if there is one dish that is distinctly New Jersey, I'd have to say that it is the pork roll, egg and cheese sandwich (on a good, fresh kaiser roll, please). Awesome any time and every time, but particularly so at a dinner after being out drinking or the following morning to help nurse a hangover.

View attachment 252242
I swear, I'm in NJ and I had one for breakfast on the way in to work this morning. still great, hung over or not:thumb:

Crotch

Triggered
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm in Texas. All I have to say is Smoked Brisket..

Now back home in Indiana. I miss the breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches. But I have found something out about those. It's actually schnitzel. My GF is German and taught me how to cook those, So now I can make my own.
I'm not in Texas but I have been there and I will also say smoked brisket. The food of the gods.

DotStudio

Reaction score
That's a tough one as New Jersey is a pretty densely populated state so a town specialty is difficult to pinpoint. However, if there is one dish that is distinctly New Jersey, I'd have to say that it is the pork roll, egg and cheese sandwich (on a good, fresh kaiser roll, please). Awesome any time and every time, but particularly so at a diner after being out drinking all night or the following morning to help nurse a hangover.

View attachment 252242
I've always wanted to try one of those. They look incredible. :drool:

Every time I'm in Jersey I eat myself sick because there's so much delicious food around (I go to south Jersey, so it's a double whammy with Philly).

Last edited:

thatF-INGflyingVguy

Reaction score
Lindy's Chili !!!
you don't server chili for damn near 100 year because the food sucks plus you can wash it down with a green river that they pull from a old skool soda fountain

Bytor1958

Reaction score
I forgot one thing about Indy that I miss the most. There is a bakery on the west side. Longs Donuts. The best I have ever had. I have tried some places here and nothing even compares to this place.
Glazed yeast donuts that melt in your mouth. Chocolate cover cake donuts. Anything in that place is great.

But the Glazed Yeast. OMG the best.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Inspired by the mom's food thread, post up your town's local specialty. It can be your current town or stuff you miss. Hopefully it gives me some ideas on what to eat while traveling. Two I miss...
while this thread seems like something that's going to glorify more junk food __ I'm very happy to be living in NE Pennsylvania at the moment . plenty of farms and markets here . fresh vegetables and fruits . some tasty things I can juice

IMG_20170624_201036125_HDR.jpg

Rich

Non sequitur
Reaction score
while this thread seems like something that's going to glorify more junk food __ I'm very happy to be living in NE Pennsylvania at the moment . plenty of farms and markets here . fresh vegetables and fruits . some tasty things I can juice

View attachment 252245
Never heard of Jersey tomatoes? It ain't called "The Garden State" for nothin'. A summer delicacy for me is sliced Jersey tomatoes on toasted rye bread with some mayo and salt and pepper; add a slice of cheese or some basil if you like. :dude:

14[1].jpg

a-TOMATO-640x468[1].jpg

Latest Threads