Home security systems?

SneakySnakeLady

MLP Snake Lady
Premium Member
Reaction score
Do you have one? Was it a one time installation or is there a monthly fee? What kind? What do you like and hate about it?

Right now our baby sleeps in the same room as my husband and I in her pack n play, and will until she's at least a year old (that's the AAP recommendation) She has a room, right across ours but we are considering a system for extra security. We live in the country and it's fairly safe but more things are happening than they used to and the world is crazy.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
I had ADT at one time, other than the dog’s collar bouncing off his water bowl, which set off the glass break alarm, I had zero complaints with them.

It was just a monthly fee, I think it was $35? I can’t recall...

Mannish Boy

Reaction score
We use a local security company. They sold me the equipment and installed it, so we only pay a monitoring fee. I think it's about $125 a year. A good local company provides fast service and a real person to talk with if anything breaks.

Mannish Boy

Reaction score
Dogs are great. I have several, but they can't call 911 if there's a fire.

tjbitt

Reaction score
I'm sure there are good ones, but it's a racket.
I just moved to South Carolina and had a home built with a "smart home" installation as part of the build. It has a ring doorbell, thermostat, lights, keypad door locks, garage door opener all tied into wifi and all remote controlled from an indoor monitor system and app on your phone. This all came with the house. Then the calls started . The builder had CPI then switched to ADT. Safe Haven was the ADT dealer with the builder. I start gettin calls from other ADT dealers " I can give you a better deal than xyz" We can get you free installation and $500 off of other hardware ( window , door and motion alarms.) Kept giving different rates, how long the plans were etc.
Most were 3 yr plans and if you terminated early you pay 75% of the remaining contract to get out of it.
I finally said just give me what I am supposed to get with the house and no contract. Then they say oh, well after 2 years, you have to pay for the app to do remote lights,door locks , thermostst adjustment. garage door. And oh by the way the doorbell will only give you live views , no recordings unless you sign a contract.

They all want to get you hooked into a contract sell you sub par technology then it's bye bye. BTW if you have issues you pay for service calls. Just give me Smith and Wesson. I'll be fine. Good Luck. It's a quagmire.

Mike I

Premium Member
Reaction score
I have ADT also, and I'm happy with them.

They have cameras for the home as well. Of course you can set it for stay, and when you're away for the motion sensor if you have pets.

For the baby's room when she moves there, they have awesome baby cams with sound and a lens you can move for when she starts crawling and such.

My daughter has one for her daughter, and it's worth it's weight in gold!

CB91710

Premium Member
Reaction score
We're happy with our Ring system.
It has "Away", "Home", and "Disarmed" modes... in "Home" mode it can be set to monitor only the perimeter (door/window sensors), and you can select the motion sensors, so you can still cover the garage or shed.
$100/year for monitoring, and that covers unlimited cameras/doorbells, so you can monitor all doorways and have floodlights with cameras. We already had the $100/year unlimited camera subscription since we have 3 cameras, so the monitoring doesn't cost any extra.

The sensors are all wireless, so there's no running cables. It has a keypad(s), but we just use the app. The only thing that must have power is the hub. It connects to your home network, but if the network goes down, it reverts to cellular backup (and alerts you on the app)... It also alerts you on the app when it goes onto battery backup.
The sensor batteries are supposedly good for 3 years... we've had our system for 2 years and they're still showing 100%
Optional features are moisture/flood sensors... put one under the kitchen sink, one behind each toilet, one behind the washer, and one behind the fridge in case the ice maker filter/line takes a dump.
It also has a module that can "listen" for your smoke/CO2 detector, so you don't have to use theirs if you have something like a Nest Protect.

Depending on the size of your home, installation, setup, and testing can be anywhere from an hour to a half day.
I think the bundles all come with a range extender.

SneakySnakeLady

MLP Snake Lady
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback so far

We do have cameras that we need to set up that were going around the corners of the property but we haven't set those up yet. I'm also armed with a pistol and a rifle and a doberman but he's a goofball and not the greatest guard dog. My female I had was the GOOD guard dog but she was too good and became aggressive when the baby was born and started trying to kill the other one so I had to rehome her.

We do have a baby monitor system, it's an Owlet cam that goes with our Owlet sock we use every night. I will definitely be putting the camera on her when she goes to her room but we want the extra security with all the doors and windows. It does help both yards are fenced (and one is full of goats lol)

Minte

I need a snappy title
Reaction score
The house has a Honeywell System that is monitored offsite. It's also tied into our ELAN control which has control units that look like IPADS all over the house and can be controlled also from a phone app. The exterior has multiple cameras. The property is fenced and gated. And I am well armed and am former US Army. We have 2 small dogs that wouldn't intimidate anyone, but they both have very good hearing and bark when they are supposed to.

EL-34

Reaction score
I recommend safety film for windows, high performance deadbolts like mul-t-lock with reinforced deadbolt holes...I can't recall what they're called but the locksmiths know. Then on top of all that, an alarm system.

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
We never had need for a pay system, then my wife’s tires were stolen right in the driveway... it was a pro job looking for those exact rims...

So we got an out door camera system, which IMO is a lot better than an alarm system, firstly someone is always home... I had an ADT system at another home and the pets kept triggering it... you can run into fees that way...

Cameras are the way to go, complete outside coverage with color high Rez. And the FLIR is pretty cool, you can set to record 24/7 or just record motion triggers... I just record it all, found out all sorts of shit. Because you can go back 30 days (before it re records) the motion record triggers Tree branch movement upon windy days so its kinda useless, but on the video time line it marks motion. So if you need to look for an event ( like a package delivery) you can... and of course do this right on your phone from anywhere...

The beauty is ... no fees

Its a lorex system

and I already had to call police and show the video of a kid trying the garage door handle....

Another story altogether

Lungo

Reaction score
We have outdoor Nest cameras. You can set them to send alerts for various detections. I currently have person and people talking notifications sent to my phone. The service stores 5 days worth of video and you can download snippets of the alert events. They have a mic to record sound and a small speaker for you to talk to people you see. The volume is not near loud enough though.

six-string

Reaction score
okay don't hate me for saying this......

take the money you would be spending on a security system and invest it in your child's future education fund.
it's worth the risk.

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
I agree....

Indecently the $800 (once) spent on the Lorex system is a real piece of mind....

I'm going to put in a few more cameras because there is space on the DVR and there are some additional areas I want covered.

SneakySnakeLady

MLP Snake Lady
Premium Member
Reaction score
okay don't hate me for saying this......

take the money you would be spending on a security system and invest it in your child's future education fund.
it's worth the risk.
We have an education fund already. Not really the issue at hand

Latest Threads