Home Made Cab for Orange Micro Dark

guitfiddle

Reaction score
MD Sunn.jpg

A couple of days ago, I took this old SUNN vocal monitor, disconnected the horn, changed the speaker out for a Peavey Blue Marvel I had lying about the place, and turned it into this groovy little 112 cab. It sounds great, and now I have a little cab to go jam with, and for use with soundguys who like to keep stage volume way down...I'll just use this beside my vocal monitor, and then he can put a mic on it and not have stage sound to deal with.

I haven't tried the OR15 yet, but the Dark Terror kicks ass into this also.

Thinking about a Cannabis Rex speaker for it already...lol

Last edited:

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wonder if removing the horn might act like a bass port?

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Hi Guitfiddle! Long time, no see. Yo are still Rockin' your Oranges except that 50th, I see. I was just the other day thinking about my own Micro Dark and setting it up for a practice amp with my PPC112 that I have. I'm still using the Dark Terror for playing at home. Your little stage setup sounds like it might work quite well. Are you getting some dates to play with your Sabbath outfit?

Classicplayer

guitfiddle

Reaction score
Hi Guitfiddle! Long time, no see. Yo are still Rockin' your Oranges except that 50th, I see. I was just the other day thinking about my own Micro Dark and setting it up for a practice amp with my PPC112 that I have. I'm still using the Dark Terror for playing at home. Your little stage setup sounds like it might work quite well. Are you getting some dates to play with your Sabbath outfit?

Classicplayer
We are playing two shows on August 7th, and then we're booked with a Led Zeppelin tribute band on the 20th of November.

I'll tell ya what I'm diggin the most these days is running my little Crush Mini, which has a speaker output on the back, into my 212 with Cannabis Rex speakers. It's actually loud enough to play with drums and bass, within reason. I also use a 12V power supply with it, and it sounds pretty dang good!

guitfiddle

Reaction score
I wonder if removing the horn might act like a bass port?
That's good question.

I left it in there for the sake of simiplicity...I just cut one of the wires running to it, but that's something to think about.

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Guitfiddle, How about that OR-15 you were playing at that small bar/club a couple years back. I enjoyed that video of your band and the high-5 at the end. LOL

guitfiddle

Reaction score
Guitfiddle, How about that OR-15 you were playing at that small bar/club a couple years back. I enjoyed that video of your band and the high-5 at the end. LOL
That little thing is special. No other Orange I've ever played feels like it's just gonna come unglued at any second like it does! It will be sweet, then ride the edge of overdrive like a champ, then just get laser focused, tight overdrive that sears, for lack of a better word, then get loose fuzzy tones for stoner/doom metal. If I was forced to pick one of my Oranges to keep, the OR15 would be it but for my OR50...:applause:

Last edited:

Classicplayer

Reaction score
That little thing is special. No other Orange I've ever played feels like it's just gonna come unglued at any second like it does! It will be sweet, then ride the edge of overdrive like a champ, then just get laser focused, tight overdrive that sears, for lack of a better word, then get loose fuzzy tones for stoner/doom metal. If I was forced to pick one of my Oranges to keep, the OR15 would be it but for my OR50...:applause:

BTW, I use that video to show people how fat I used to be...LOL
For the OR-15, do you use a favorite boost for that amp?

Classicplayer

guitfiddle

Reaction score
For the OR-15, do you use a favorite boost for that amp?

Classicplayer
Anything works for me really, as i mainly just push it harder, but of my pedals, I most dig the Danelectro Pastrami overdrive. It only has level and gain controls, it's a bit on the bright side, and it sounds great.

guitfiddle

Reaction score
I played a couple of shows with this over the weekend, and it sounds great. Loud enough onstage, and I kind of dig the focus a single 12" speaker has. It really cuts through well.

Latest Threads