Home Again

Stevie 202

Reaction score
I had some work done on my Les Paul and due to unforseen and unavoidable circumstances it ended up taking longer that I thought it would.
I was getting some serious separation anxiety for a while but now it's home and plays better than ever.
Had a bone nut, some orange drops and a Callaham steel ABR-1 installed as well a real good pro setup.

It's a 2011 classic plus with knobs, pickguard and truss cover changed.

And now, for no really good reason, (except to show off, I suppose) here's some pics.

Cheers

The Refugee

Reaction score
Awesome guitar :thumb:

Out of curiosity, is that a baked maple board? I'm pretty sure it is, I just want to make sure.

Stevie 202

Reaction score
Awesome guitar :thumb:

Out of curiosity, is that a baked maple board? I'm pretty sure it is, I just want to make sure.

It is indeed. If you oil it, it gets nice and dark.
Very smooth and hard; quite pleasant to the fingers really. (nyuk nyuk nuk..."that's what she said")

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Sooner or later, I'll own a baked maple board guitar. I think whether or not there is a supply issue, this should always remain an option. They look great and offer another tonal option. Great guitar. Enjoy it.

Stevie 202

Reaction score
Sooner or later, I'll own a baked maple board guitar. I think whether or not there is a supply issue, this should always remain an option. They look great and offer another tonal option. Great guitar. Enjoy it.

Well since this is my first Les Paul, I have no pre-conceived notions about the issue.
All I know is, it feels and looks and sounds pretty sweet.
(oh yeah....and with my Traynor amp I can get pretty darn close the the sound I hear in my head, so.....yee-haw!)

Cheers

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well since this is my first Les Paul, I have no pre-conceived notions about the issue.
All I know is, it feels and looks and sounds pretty sweet.

Cheers

Baked maple ain't nothing to look down your nose at. I think maple is a great fretboard material. Play that fkkr with pride :thumb: like I said, baked maple was well overdue.

Stevie 202

Reaction score
Baked maple ain't nothing to look down your nose at. I think maple is a great fretboard material. Play that fkkr with pride :thumb: like I said, baked maple was well overdue.

Always loved the maple necks on my Fenders.

Like I said RE: the sounds in my head; I guess that's just my way of saying that I get all the Les Paul goodness I was expecting from this axe. The BM board is great AFAIC.

I'll get back to y'all in 10 years to let you know how it wears.

Cheers

Joeydego

your mom is a nice lady
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Always loved the maple necks on my Fenders.

Like I said RE: the sounds in my head; I guess that's just my way of saying that I get all the Les Paul goodness I was expecting from this axe. The BM board is great AFAIC.

I'll get back to y'all in 10 years to let you know how it wears.

Cheers

I suspect it'll wear.......perfectly. And FWIW, rosewood tele's are like webbed feet on a mongoose, generally speaking.

Stevie 202

Reaction score
Ok here's an update;

I've been playing the crap outta this thing since I got it home and I want to say that that Callaham steel ABR-1 is an awesome bit 'o kit.

For starters, it's thinner than the Nashville so the strings don't ground out at the back. It also has little locking screws to keep the whole thing tight, in place and rattle free. Additionally, it looks better IMO.

The sound seems to be 'tighter', more focused and the sustain is greatly improved.
(Always hard to describe the subjective - YMMV)

These things are kinda pricey but I really like what it did to this axe.

That is all.

Cheers

ElhazGuy

Reaction score
It's interesting to see a top that looks like a flametop and a plaintop at the same time. Interesting and beautiful. :)

Stevie 202

Reaction score
It's interesting to see a top that looks like a flametop and a plaintop at the same time. Interesting and beautiful. :)

It's beautiful, for sure.

As well, and most importantly, it is the best playing, best sounding axe I've ever owned.

Kinda spoils me when I pick up the others.

Cheers

bdubbs

Reaction score
I am ignorant on this. Why do people prefer the ABR to the nashville?

Stevie 202

Reaction score
I am ignorant on this. Why do people prefer the ABR to the nashville?

Personaly, I prefer it for two reasons

First is cosmetic; I prefer the 'vintage' look.
Second, and most importantly it's slimmer so the strings clear the back of the
bridge without having to raise up the stoptail with the result that the sound is better, less buzz rattle, more sustain etc....

CapeRR

Reaction score
Nothing more satisfying than getting your axe playing like buttah....congrats!!

Latest Threads