HNGD Well used LP Studio

joseph07081

Reaction score
Well, I have not been here for awhile due to life issues (best discussed over stiff drinks)....

In any case, was out shopping for gifts for my son at GC and came upon this. 2010 Les Paul Studio. I have been looking for a project and this one certainly fills the bill. As they say, you pick what speaks to you and this one certainly did. It is well worn and I am sure it has lots of stories to tell. The setup is very good and feels great. It has a Dirty Fingers pickup in the bridge, I am not sure what is in the neck position. It sounds good, the pots and switches all work and no dead spots. It came with a nice hard side case. All in all, except for appearance, I am very happy with the purchase.

Gibson LP web.jpg

I am debating whether I want to proceed with my initial plan to refinish it. The picture does not show the full extent of the finish issues. I will take some better pics later on to show what I mean. The more I look at it and handle it, the more I feel the mojo. This git was well used, but as I said, it feels and plays nice. I may just check over the wiring, setup the pickups a bit better, throw some new strings on it and go to town.

More later...

Reaction score
It seems someone enjoyed the heck out of that guitar. I suggest you do the same. I like your idea of giving it a once over, new strings, and continue the journey.

rikko

Reaction score
Like a nice, well worn pair of jeans!

rikkos says- LEAVE IT!

And HNGD!!!

DesolationBlvd

Reaction score
It's a Studio! It's not meant to be pretty, it's meant to be a stripped-down to-be-road-worn rocker!

Now if it was a bound model, then I could understand wanting to refinish it to perfection.

alrick1800

Reaction score
If it's been played that much likely a good sounding playing LP buy , play enjoy

Classicplayer

Reaction score
Some good advice preceding my thoughts here. Try and get some closeup pics. of it for us. Play it for awhile before refinishing it. Make sure the frets are in excellent shape and no neck issues as that guitar seems like it may be a real "player".

Classicplayer

joseph07081

Reaction score
Thanks for the advice everyone. Doing a bit of research this morning and I believe I have a Studio Satin Ebony. It looks like it was one of those Guitar Center "exclusives". What I took to be a really abused gloss finish is in fact a satin finish worn smooth from lots of use. I will get better pics up as soon as I can.

scottyk

Reaction score
Could be a fun refin project resto for you.
Won't increase the value, but it's yours and do with it what you feel.

joseph07081

Reaction score
Confirmed that it is a 2010 Studio Faded Ebony. Got an SKB hard case with it, so I think I did OK ($450). Giving it the once over and going to play the crap out of it. I have a set of Iommi pickups I was thinking of putting in it as part of my project, but I will put those in my Epi Studio for the time being.

EVH9442

Reaction score
For that price you did well; cool guitar for $450. But generally, when I see guitars that are no more than 5 years, and completely beat to hell? That irritates me. I played the SHIT out of an Epiphone Les Paul Standard from when I was 12 to about 14. I wore down the frets to nothing. It's unplayable now, but there's still not a scratch on it. When I see a new guitar that's beat to shit but with plenty of fret life, my conclusion is it just belonged to a stupid/careless previous owner. Amount of fret-wear tells a lot about a guitar, more so than sloppy picking scuffs and buckle rash. No "mojo" there.

May I suggest Pelham Blue?

joseph07081

Reaction score
Playing around with this more today.... I really like the way it feels :)

I promise some more pics soon. I have school work, house work and a tree to decorate today before I can move on to other stuff. Thanks for all of the advice everyone.

Latest Threads