HNGD: '81 Custom Silverburst

bblooz

Reaction score
Congrats on your NGD! It's definitely a cool piece, and unique with the mahogany neck and volute from that period. Looks unmolested and a piece of Gibson history - love and preserve it.........Enjoy!

Reflect_ion

Reaction score
I learnt from @mudface that these early 80's examples are what we call 'short bodied', as well as the short horn.

Both are unique to the first couple years of the 80's..

Shades on while I whip this out! :cool2::rofl:

My 82 also showing the short body (Knobs are under the tailpiece) and short, sharper horn.

It is unique to these Norlins.. they changed the horn and body shape again around 83.
Great information! Thank you!
I'll look up 'short bodied', that's how it's generally referred to?

btw: nice toggle switch plate :cool2:

grumphh

Reaction score
Idk about the term "short body" - at least, i measured my '71/'72 Deluxe which is 438 mm (which i assume has fairly correct "classic" dimensions), and my '79 LPC (Nashville) which is 431 mm so the difference in actual body length (from heel to strap button) is only 7 mm.
= just above 1/4", or less than 2% difference. But yeah, the body i a bit shorter, so fair enough i guess :)

On both of mine the waist is 180 mm at its narrowest. The with of the bottom bout is the same on both, where the top bout is 1 mm wider on the Deluxe.

However, on the '79 the controls are in a different place, as well as the horn being sharper/shorter due to a different curve in the cutaway - so yes, they are their own thing, in that they do have a slightly different overall shape compared to the "classic" LP's.

To the best of my knowledge, the cutaways had several slight variations in the late 70's, so it is possible that the bodies did have some as well...

Reflect_ion

Reaction score
Idk about the term "short body" - at least, i measured my '71/'72 Deluxe which is 438 mm (which i assume has fairly correct "classic" dimensions), and my '79 LPC (Nashville) which is 431 mm so the difference in actual body length (from heel to strap button) is only 7 mm.
= just above 1/4", or less than 2% difference. But yeah, the body i a bit shorter, so fair enough i guess :)
Lol, I also was calculating the % differences in waist (17,9 - 18,5) and it's a only a bit more than 3%. I was like "what the * am I doing here?". Glad i'm not the only one :) I guess that's why we're here on this forum...

Reflect_ion

Reaction score
Thank you! :cheers:

Philadelphia luthier supply.... custom chips, good price!
I have them an all my Lesters, just for the Lolz!
I think it's on this forum I saw
- Good cop / Bad cop
- Mayhem / Trouble
- Get off / my lawn

haha

DarrellV

Proud Member of the Golden Switch Tip Club
Premium Member
Reaction score
To the best of my knowledge, the cutaways had several slight variations in the late 70's, so it is possible that the bodies did have some as well...
Yup, I'm pretty sure I was a bit short on my guess... Muddy was closer..

around 78-83 they were all over the place with the body shape, and horn and knob placement.

They are unique, even if it's in a :wtf: Gibson??!!! Kind of way! :laugh2:

Progrocker111

Reaction score
Wow, this is the first 81 Custom with mahogany neck and volute i have ever seen. All 81s i have ever seen were with maple necks, i have always thought 82 was the transitional year - there are still some maple necks without volute in 82...

Reflect_ion

Reaction score
Wow, this is the first 81 Custom with mahogany neck and volute i have ever seen. All 81s i have ever seen were with maple necks, i have always thought 82 was the transitional year - there are still some maple necks without volute in 82...
Glad I could surprise you! Norlin never lets you down :)

Latest Threads