HNGD: '81 Custom Silverburst

Reflect_ion

Reaction score
Hi all, usually i'm just a lurker but this time I wanted to share the hapiness: finally found an original silverburst in Belgium! I'm considering this a bonus after Fear Inoculum :)

IMG_7660.JPG

a.jpg

Apparently she was ordered at Gibson directly by a German fellow back in '81. He had this one until a year or two ago when he had to quit playing because of severe back pain. It was then sold through a store to the guy I got it from.

It's a player for sure, and it shows but nothing really bad that affects playing. You can see the original color where the pickguard was.

c.jpg

IMG_8639.JPG

IMG_8640 kopie.jpg

b.jpg

So the pickups are Tim Shaws I guess? I haven't yet really read into it, but is this considered a bonus? They sure do scream, I like them a lot!

IMG_8657 kopie.jpg

IMG_8650 kopie.jpg

Thought it'd be cool to show the '81 next to her '08 daughter where you clearly see the difference in horn and headstock shape.

IMG_8724.JPG

IMG_8729.JPG

IMG_8730.JPG

IMG_8728 kopie.jpg

There you go!

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Awesome! It has a mahogany neck though?
And looks like aftermarket knobs as well.
Beautiful guitar though!

Reflect_ion

Reaction score
Awesome! It has a mahogany neck though?
And looks like aftermarket knobs as well.
Beautiful guitar though!
Thanks!
What makes you think the neck is mahogany & what could I do to check this? This one should be a maple neck right?

grumphh

Reaction score
Thanks!
What makes you think the neck is mahogany & what could I do to check this? This one should be a maple neck right?
Can't answer for Daniel S - but in the places where the finish is worn on the back of the neck the wood looks suspiciously darkish, i.e. like mahogany. The only place to check otherwise would be under the truss rod cover.

And yes, it should have a maple neck, but i guess the inevitable "transition period" thing rears its head again here :)

Speed knobs are period correct - and in any case, LPC's just aren't LPC's without speed knobs. Period.
;)

DarrellV

Proud Member of the Golden Switch Tip Club
Premium Member
Reaction score
Thanks!
Well, yes.... and no!

Grumph hit it on the head. During this period the norm is maple neck - HOWEVER, examples with hog necks are to be found, so no worries...

Gibson like any factory likely used whatever they had laying around and leftover parts from another run were like money in the bank. They would not have thrown them out. Who would look under the paint anyway,?
its a guitar , man!!
:rofl:

They likely never dreamed of a day when internet fans would pore over the build details. :laugh2: They just put 'em together!

Those pickups are Tim Shaws, and yes, to some of us they are a bonus.

I have them in my 82 as well and really like them a lot.

They had about a 6 year run and then were phased out. So they are a little slice in time for Gibson pickups.

Enjoy that thing in good health! :cheers:

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Yeah like others have said the back of the neck looks like mahogany because it’s such a dark brown.
I’m wondering if it’s still 3 piece because it still has a volute!

Reflect_ion

Reaction score
Can't answer for Daniel S - but in the places where the finish is worn on the back of the neck the wood looks suspiciously darkish, i.e. like mahogany. The only place to check otherwise would be under the truss rod cover.

And yes, it should have a maple neck, but i guess the inevitable "transition period" thing rears its head again here :)

Speed knobs are period correct - and in any case, LPC's just aren't LPC's without speed knobs. Period.
;)
Well, yes.... and no!

Grumph hit it on the head. During this period the norm is maple neck - HOWEVER, examples with hog necks are to be found, so no worries...
Yeah like others have said the back of the neck looks like mahogany because it’s such a dark brown.
I’m wondering if it’s still 3 piece because it still has a volute!
It is pretty dark brown for sure. I haven't looked under the truss rod cover, but here are some extra shots (although colours from pictures are never accurate...). Definitely a thee piece neck...

IMG_8744 kopie.jpg

IMG_8745.JPG

IMG_8741.JPG

IMG_8742.JPG

IMG_8750.JPG

IMG_8746.JPG

Those pickups are Tim Shaws, and yes, to some of us they are a bonus.

I have them in my 82 as well and really like them a lot.

They had about a 6 year run and then were phased out. So they are a little slice in time for Gibson pickups.

Enjoy that thing in good health! :cheers:
Thanks for the confirmation, and I will! Cheersi

grumphh

Reaction score

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
It is pretty dark brown for sure. I haven't looked under the truss rod cover, but here are some extra shots (although colours from pictures are never accurate...). Definitely a thee piece neck...

View attachment 417875
View attachment 417871
View attachment 417869
View attachment 417870
View attachment 417874
View attachment 417872

Thanks for the confirmation, and I will! Cheersi
Love the speedwinders too!!!!

One of the reasons I love the 80's stuff!

Quirky and innovative.!

Reflect_ion

Reaction score
I am not an expert on woods, but i can with certainty say that this is no maple neck.

Imo it doesn't matter one iota, other than that maple necks are less prone to headstock breaks, and it could be seen both as a bonus and a rarity.
Play the guitar, rather than speculating on the neck material ;)
Thanks mate! I've been looking for some examples of worn off necks and looks like you guys are absolutely right this is a mahogany neck (not that I was doubting the Forum mind you)!

Some pictures I found on the net are clearly different.

So I guess I just discovered the secret ingredient to Adam Jones' sound many silverburstians are after :p

Schermafbeelding 2019-11-04 om 21.53.25 kopie.jpg

Maple neck.jpg

Reflect_ion

Reaction score
I'm learning tons of things here... I knew the horn was different then (more sharp) but also the waist is thinner! Never knew that...

I'm measuring 17,9 cm at the smallest point of the '81 and the '08 is easily 18,5 cm at the smallest point. In no way is this perfectly accurate, but the difference is clear. Is this common knowledge for you Norlians?

(I know, I should really start playing instead of doing this)

IMG_E8752 kopie.jpg

IMG_E8753 kopie.jpg

DarrellV

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm learning tons of things here... I knew the horn was different then (more sharp) but also the waist is thinner! Never knew that...

I'm measuring 17,9 cm at the smallest point of the '81 and the '08 is easily 18,5 cm at the smallest point. In no way is this perfectly accurate, but the difference is clear. Is this common knowledge for you Norlians?

View attachment 417907

View attachment 417906
I learnt from @mudface that these early 80's examples are what we call 'short bodied', as well as the short horn.

Both are unique to the first couple years of the 80's..

Shades on while I whip this out! :cool2::rofl:

My 82 also showing the short body (Knobs are under the tailpiece) and short, sharper horn.

It is unique to these Norlins.. they changed the horn and body shape again around 83.

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score

View attachment 417907

View attachment 417906
Yes,... as @DarrellV has mentioned the body dimensions are rather unique in this Norlin era.

From the late seventies to around 1983 the bodies are shorter in length,... have a tighter waist (like you discovered) and number of different horn shapes. All are normal oddities of this era.

I kind of think its a cool and unique quality of these bad ass instruments.

Congrats and enjoy.

Latest Threads