Hmmm, nobody uses reverb that way!

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Someone asked a question about why the Pod Go has the cab right after the amp in the chain by default. The resident expert said that the cab should always go at the end. I said that there are other ways to look at it.

Apparently, even though virtually every modeler has the reverb after the cab on most all presets, it's wrong. LOL. Why can't both be OK?

As far as I'm concerned, people using a modeler like the Pod Go want to emulate something they don't have. The cab starts moving air, then the room is emulated by delay and reverb. With reverb you can make the room as big as you want, but I would prefer to have the sound in the room be from the IR of the cab.

I blacked out his name, left mine there. It's not a secret.

fb.jpg

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
It sometimes reverb is just reverb and not modeling the room.

I hated too much reverb but a little, even in a live room, helped.

TheX

Still Alive and Well
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That was my point, it can be both ways. In Reaper I rarely use any reverb, till the final mix...then it isn't much. Some people want to hear themselves like they're playing in a cave. There isn't a single answer.

For context, this conversation was in a group for the Pod Go modeler. If it was in the Reaper group it would have gone a totally different direction.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
That was my point, it can be both ways. In Reaper I rarely use any reverb, till the final mix...then it isn't much. Some people want to hear themselves like they're playing in a cave. There isn't a single answer.

For context, this conversation was in a group for the Pod Go modeler. If it was in the Reaper group it would have gone a totally different direction.
Years back I was playing with a band where the other player was really good but used so much reverb that it washed out his sound. On the other hand he commented on how harsh my sound was (I was playing clean at the time) and I later realized a little bit of reverb could take a little bit of that harsh away.

Tone deaf

Reaction score
Reverb is like lube. There is the correct amount and there is everything else.

MikeyTheCat

Reaction score
A few years back I was doing some backing behind a gal, mostly church gigs. I had a emulator pedal that had a Big Sky clone on it and used it a lot for pads.

BigJim

Reaction score
I ditched reverb/delay years ago, I didn't want anything to muck up my crispy riffs. Haven't really missed it, I'm not playing in church or U2 covers or surf tunes.

The "other guy" in my band uses it way too much, although I turn it down when he isn't looking. I just don't get it, it washes away too much...

fleahead

Reaction score
There IS no "must be". The whole point of all this is the flexibility to use it any damn way you want to. I USED to use a delay pedal before my amp. Then I started using it in the mix on my DAW. Now with the modeler, I put it anywhere I think it sounds good.

Too many "experts" telling people how it's SUPPOSED to be done. Goes with pretty much everything.

Latest Threads