Hmmm, found something I might like to try

straybeat

Reaction score
For those who don't know me (about all of you LOL), I ended up a retired mechanical design engineer. There was something I wanted to do 20 years ago, but I couldn't find customers willing to pay the prices for what my work would have cost. Now that it's a "thing" I have been thinking for some time of getting a 3D printer? Then today I saw this;

How many would go for a plastic Les Paul? :laugh2:

Zenzeypher

Reaction score
I would. Not much but I would. Loads of guitars have been made out of plastic and sounded great,

Next I wonder if the'll be breakouts about the tone of polyproproline vs polyurethane "nothing like plastic they used in 2014 I tells ya whut."

Sustainamaniac

Reaction score
I saw that thing a couple years ago and found it really interesting. I wonder if it'll take off at all. Obviously there will still be a big crowd that only wants '59 Les Pauls but perhaps ther would be a market for it.

Minte

I need a snappy title
Reaction score
I don't want to burst your bubble, but that isn't made on a 3d printer. It's off a full-blown SLA machine. We've had some prototype handles made on those and they were nearly $1,000 each.

The 3d printers like Makerbots can make parts about the size of a coffee can.

stinkfoot

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Member
Reaction score

How many would go for a plastic Les Paul? :laugh2:
I don't know about the plastic.. but it certainly can be done with wood..

hmmm..

maybe a reason to finally setup the scroll saws and other shit I inherited.

something to experiment with for sure.. although doing it as a carved top might be a bitch.

straybeat

Reaction score
I don't want to burst your bubble, but that isn't made on a 3d printer. It's off a full-blown SLA machine. We've had some prototype handles made on those and they were nearly $1,000 each.

The 3d printers like Makerbots can make parts about the size of a coffee can.
Yeah, I was going to buy one of those machines 20 years ago when they first came out. But between machine cost, liquid cost and design cost it just would have been stupidly expensive for the smallest thing. So I bowed out.

The small machines were $12K to make things the size of a cigarette pack. The Big machines went for $150K and could make things about the size of a breadbox. So I was going to go for a small one, but still.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
not yet cost effective __ by any means . smaller ( filament ) machines can only make rough prototypes . not even good enough to test moving parts . cost of materials is very high

cheapest way to do small parts is to use a service like
Shapeways - Design, buy, and sell products with 3D Printing

otherwise . . think SLA , or even CNC ( for wood ) , if you really have the urge to design something of your own

or take up whittling :thumb:

Latest Threads