HM Regrets?

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
Agree Vic but the previous post was incorrect.............a lot have not sold for top dollar & the owner had to take a haircut unless all the sales I have seen are a figment of my imagination.

Having said that I like their work............this looks great.

Cheers, Rudi
Agreed, the used market is the way to go!

jenton70

Premium Member
Reaction score
Agree Vic but the previous post was incorrect.............a lot have not sold for top dollar & the owner had to take a haircut unless all the sales I have seen are a figment of my imagination.

Having said that I like their work............this looks great.

Cheers, Rudi
I think that's true of most guitars, Rudi. A motivated seller will always take it in the shorts. Motivated buyers pay up but I think they are the minority. I can't think of a more frustrating sale I've made than when I sold a replica. I took a MAJOR haircut. I'm sure the exremely high end replicas are more stable but anything 10k and up requires a motivated buyer.

But, to your point, yes you should plan to lose money if you sell your HM! ;)

Mango Unchained

Reaction score
Here is another take on HM. The deluxe is pricey, but if you buy your guitar right and ask yourself what you really need you can do this for a more reasonable amount (relative in the world of overpaying for nostalgia).

Personally, I never felt the whole braz board thing was significant in terms of tone or playability over the other stand ins, so I did the standard package. I also opted out of the aging as well. I will say some do look pretty cool, but, i personally have a hard time dinging up something so nice. If i do it, that's different. I did a wiring harness a few other small things and I already had some super sweet throbaks in the guitar, so yey there. Btw, I went from washed cherry to ice tea.

I also had several discussions with Kim on me wanting to put the wear on myself and interestingly told me his own take on the aging. It is worthwhile to note, they still come with the nice patina and I already have weather checking progressing nicely on its own (started on the shipping to me), albeit accelerated because of the finish being quite brittle as described. Funny thing, all my guitars check with the grain (strat and this one) even though most every picture seems to go the other way!

I absolutely love the analine dye color, subtle neck wear and the overall "feel" of the guitar now. I also never much cared for the binding bleed (had a lot), but oddly, I have have none now and have played the shiite out it. Don't know why, but that was a special extra. I don't know if all will do that or not. So, a fair price and a sweet ride.

The only thing I didn't notice in the paint photos I received, is that the burst is a little uneven on the lower body relative to where your hand rests and i know some are fanatical about that " even" burst look. I have seen some like mine and others more even from HM. I think it just makes them all more unique. I also remember Kim talking about subtle details like where light and wear affected the finishes. Since I bought this to play like the wind with reckless abandon, its fine by me and I get to *uck it up all on my own! Some day when I sell it who knows what I get, but I know what I get until that time!

swampblues

Reaction score
I love their work for sure but I have found buying a guitar that sounds good and suits your eye for me is hard to change. If it comes in and I don’t bond with it I have no problem passing it on. I am very lucky to have 3 I am very happy with sound and looks to keep. Besides for 4300 I can keep looking for another one someone might not bond with. Besides in South Louisiana humidity sweat ages mine pretty fast

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
I didn't regret sending my TH to HM. It came back much more 'playable' (physically speaking) but I ended up selling it because I just was never 100% happy with the way it sounded. Before and after. It was probably down to the pickups and electronics than anything HM would have done by shaving a hell of a lot off a '59' profile neck (was no where near what it should have been). They do come back 'different' but it was NOT an 'OMG I MADE IT WORSE' reaction . Kim/HM does exceptional work, and involve you every step of the way. I'd send another over in a heartbeat if I was inclined for one.

Lefty Elmo

Reaction score
I owned a 2012 R8 that Barker had sent to HM. It was the full makeover with a neck reset and Brazilian board. I had played it pre=makeover, as the guitar came from The House of Guitars. HM did an incredible job, and A/B-ing it against other Les Pauls proved this one was something really special. Sadly, finances forced a sale.
lefty r8 a.jpg

Last edited:

bblooz

Reaction score
Seems like the consensus is that if you love your instrument already, and plan to keep it, but want something just a little more, then send it to HM for that ultimate "finishing touch". Otherwise, not a sound financial decision if you're likely to flip it in the near future. I finally took the plunge on a CC #7, and have felt it was a similar decision. Never regretted it, and can't see why I would ever let this one go. Maybe I''l be joining the HM crowd one day, who knows..............

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
If your looking for financial equilibrium, you’ll need to find an R8 beater from 2008 or earlier ... that’s cheap... 2500 or less...

which isn’t a hard and fast rule....

mudface

Boo Bee
Premium Member
Reaction score
If your looking for financial equilibrium, you’ll need to find an R8 beater from 2008 or earlier ... that’s cheap... 2500 or less...

which isn’t a hard and fast rule....
I bought a 2012 R9 for cheap for an HM project,..(has a gorgeous cap)... but i fell in love with it exactly as it is.... couldn't take that chance. It sounded so beautiful i was afraid it would change.

FullSizeRender.jpg

HIDDEN

Reaction score
Personally I’m not convinced by HM’s top carve- maybe it’s the pics but all their guitars seem flatter? Also the burst pattern is not as gradient as I’d like (simply personal preference)

Subterfuge

Reaction score
Personally I’m not convinced by HM’s top carve- maybe it’s the pics but all their guitars seem flatter? Also the burst pattern is not as gradient as I’d like (simply personal preference)
I would love to have a Historic Makeover, the top-carve being one of the main reasons, however, not being made of money .. it's iffy, regarding the top-carve all I have to go on is the one picture on their website showing someone holding a wooden profile gauge against a Les Paul top .. no other supporting facts, so I really don't know what would be done, or not done, or what the new carve would even look like ... as opposed to say the correct top-carve thread (Plans) in the MLP Luthier Section which contains loads of supporting data ... if someone were doing re-carves to the exact specifications shown in the Plans my guitar would be en-route and I would be hitting PayPal Send Funds button right about now ... but as much as I love HM .. it's just too much of a gamble for the money involved (simply personal preference)

NotScott

Reaction score
Just going off memory from discussions with Kim and Kenny while I have been at HM, the top carves are done using a wooden stencil that was made after measuring a real Burst that was in the shop. Since the originals were all finished by hand, there is some variability in things like top carve, neck profile, pickup specs, etc. so aside from a factory design spec as a goal, I don't think anyone can say that there is a definitive Burst top carve.

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
They are carved
Just going off memory from discussions with Kim and Kenny while I have been at HM, the top carves are done using a wooden stencil that was made after measuring a real Burst that was in the shop. Since the originals were all finished by hand, there is some variability in things like top carve, neck profile, pickup specs, etc. so aside from a factory design spec as a goal, I don't think anyone can say that there is a definitive Burst top carve.

exactly this ....

HIDDEN

Reaction score
true which is why I think HM are using a flatter dish for the model they have. Whereas Carmelita profile is more pronounced

Sct13

Premium Member
Reaction score
There is a pronounced dish, photos don’t do justice. There are things about the carve I would prefer coming from HM, but they do present very well and are accurate.

Latest Threads