HM Regrets?

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
I *just* sent my guitar to them for a deluxe makeover. I'm a big fan of dark Brazilian boards, so it was a must for me. It's a guitar I don't think I would ever sell, but I will say that I've noticed that Les Pauls that have been through HM sell very quickly and for top dollar on the used market. There just aren't a ton of them out there, and everyone knows you can't get aging of that quality ANYWHERE else. They knock it out of the park on every guitar I've seen from them, so I have no regrets and high expectations I'm actually pretty confident they will meet.

Sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You must post pics when done.

required....

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
You must post pics when done.

required....
I plan on starting a new thread about it. It’s a theme-aging job I’m sparing no expense on, so should be exciting. I just don’t want to reveal too much yet since it’s so early.

My only critique is that I wish there was a bit more communication about the process. They’ve had my guitar for a few weeks now, at least 2, and I really haven’t heard anything since. I want to know where it is in the process and what’s next - some confirmation that things are moving forward - but I’m just sitting tight and have faith things will happen when they should. I also think they’re on vacation this week.

Sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats!!!
I hope to see it soon!

RocketKing

Reaction score
Looking forward to seeing it!
I'm also a fan of their work

RAG7890

Reaction score
I *just* sent my guitar to them for a deluxe makeover. I'm a big fan of dark Brazilian boards, so it was a must for me. It's a guitar I don't think I would ever sell, but I will say that I've noticed that Les Pauls that have been through HM sell very quickly and for top dollar on the used market. There just aren't a ton of them out there, and everyone knows you can't get aging of that quality ANYWHERE else. They knock it out of the park on every guitar I've seen from them, so I have no regrets and high expectations I'm actually pretty confident they will meet.

Really? I have seen quite a few HM's sold at prices well under what the total project cost the owner, hence my previous comment re Haircut".

:cheers2:

Sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sure if you send a brand new R9 for the full on Monty then you are going to loose a few $$... but sending an older used one the needs all the glues and stuff ... it’s not so bad. He sells them done for around 7k and he has to pay his people ... so that’s pretty much the set price..

think of it as building a hot rod ...you will never will get your money back on those...

1all's Pub

Reaction score
Oh geez, I didn’t need to see this thread. I’ve already successfully managed to resist the HM impulse a couple years ago... now off to their website again to drool. Dang it! ;)

joba

Reaction score
I Really liked my guitar before I sent it to Kim . After deciding to tweak different aspects of it I couldn't be happier. The 59 spec neck reshape is perfect. The guitar just feels different in a more comfortable broken in way. Not concerned about resale. Never selling this one.
i-BhMmtqB-X3.jpeg

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
I Really liked my guitar before I sent it to Kim . After deciding to tweak different aspects of it I couldn't be happier. The 59 spec neck reshape is perfect. The guitar just feels different in a more comfortable broken in way. Not concerned about resale. Never selling this one.
View attachment 469956
That’s a beauty. What did you have done, the standard or deluxe package? And is that their green lemon finish? That’s my favorite of theirs.

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
Really? I have seen quite a few HM's sold at prices well under what the total project cost the owner, hence my previous comment re Haircut".

:cheers2:
You’re right, you’re not gonna get exactly what you paid, but let’s say you get a used R9 for $4K, you spend $4250 for the deluxe package, and you could probably get $7000-7500 for it afterwards, with the Brazilian board and a killer aging job that puts Gibson’s aging to shame. That’s a bit of a hit but I wouldn’t call it a haircut. If you send a brand new guitar you just paid $6K for, that’s a different story.

Pappy58

Reaction score
I've given light consideration to it, but most likely will never pull the trigger. For the price of a makeover, I can buy another very nice guitar. I've had five RI's since 2014, on 03 Mahogany Custom, a 2012 R8, 2014 R8, 2016 R8, and 2018 R9. Only the 2012 and 2018 remain in my possession. The 2012 is and always has been #1. I changed the BB's out for some boutique pups and the harness has been upgraded. It's a wonderful sounding, playing and comfortable guitar I have ever owned. It's possible it may have the laminated fret board. But it plays so wonderful to me I havn't even bothered to look. While it would be an ideal candidate for a makeover given the "bad opinions' of 2012 models, I wouldn't dare pay $3k to have it changed, for fear of what the OP suggests. :cheers2:

justinspv

Reaction score
Could someone tell me where on the web to find HM guitars?

The Migty Zero

Reaction score
I have a questions for you guys that sent your guitars off to get made over. Do you guys play out with a band and take these guitars on the road or do you just get together with friends and maybe play the occasional open mic or jam with the house band? I'm not judging, more curious. I've seen a bunch of the aged Les Pauls by various shops and wonder what one of them looks like after all the aging after playing 75-100 gigs a year and practice a couple times a week. Does the real wear match up with the artificial wear? Personally, I'd rather be the person that accidentally dings, dents, and otherwise put the playing wear on it but that's just me. I'd like to see some that got sent off to look all sweaty and greasy after it's seen real world conditions.

VictorB

Formerly LZF
Super Mod
Reaction score
I purchased a R9 that went through the entire HM process, I’ve had it a number of years and gigged with it regularly, but not exclusively.

I don’t “baby” my guitars, but I don’t abuse them either. Maybe after 20 years or so there would be “legit” wear.

Keep in mind HM ages their guitars not with razor blades, but with real hot/cold checking. The real question is how would a Murphy razor checked LP WOULD look like after 15-20 years on the road.

Sct13

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The answer? Almost as good as it was when it left (Murphy aged type)

My HMs got gigged,, and they too a bit of punishment.... but not damaging.

the nitro is a tad more fragile which goes with the type of formula it is.

Gibson has made theirs tough because it’s a product that was criticized in the past for the flaws we want now...

NotScott

Reaction score
I have a questions for you guys that sent your guitars off to get made over. Do you guys play out with a band and take these guitars on the road or do you just get together with friends and maybe play the occasional open mic or jam with the house band? I'm not judging, more curious. I've seen a bunch of the aged Les Pauls by various shops and wonder what one of them looks like after all the aging after playing 75-100 gigs a year and practice a couple times a week. Does the real wear match up with the artificial wear? Personally, I'd rather be the person that accidentally dings, dents, and otherwise put the playing wear on it but that's just me. I'd like to see some that got sent off to look all sweaty and greasy after it's seen real world conditions.
I gig all three of mine.

Once you get the daily bumps and bruises on them and get your sweat and grime rubbed into the checking and cracks, they look, feel and smell about as real as you are going to get for under 6 figures.

RAG7890

Reaction score
Sure if you send a brand new R9 for the full on Monty then you are going to loose a few $$... but sending an older used one the needs all the glues and stuff ... it’s not so bad. He sells them done for around 7k and he has to pay his people ... so that’s pretty much the set price..

think of it as building a hot rod ...you will never will get your money back on those...
Agree Vic but the previous post was incorrect.............a lot have not sold for top dollar & the owner had to take a haircut unless all the sales I have seen are a figment of my imagination.

Having said that I like their work............this looks great.

Cheers, Rudi

NotScott

Reaction score
One other thing to keep in mind, HM does not do aged finishes exclusively. They also do top-notch NOS finishes that will wear just like the originals did. So if you want all of your own wear and tear to show, it is another option you have.

Latest Threads