Historic Reissue, or not even a genuine Gibson?

Davecan

Reaction score
People are bidding on this, so someone is about to get ripped off.... has this been reported to eBay UK?

CoolRene

Reaction score
There were so many different versions in Gibson's production through the years... The frets were over the binding on some pre-historic. The colour could be a refin. I can't be so categoric just from looking at the pics.
But I agree, there are certain improbabilities that suggest it is a copy: the lack of side wings at the back of the headstock, the logo is too close to the "open book" which is too flat and, most of all, the 2 holes in the control cavity are definitely not standard. The top of the neck looks asymetric near the back of the headstock (at least in the poor lightning conditions).
From what I coud read of the serial #: 9 0063, it implies it could have been made in 1999. On his ad, the seller says it is from 1998, which adds to the suspicion. I would sat away from it... Cheers

Brutalisateur

Reaction score
A strange guitar!

The finish and the oddities with the control cavity looks like a Japanese copy to me; Tokai, Greco, Aria etc.but the headstock and the inlays are very late 90's Gibson. I cant judge wether it's acopy made to look like the real deal, or an oddly modified Gibson.

Geronimo

Reaction score
Unfortunately the serial number isn’t clear enough to read in the listing photo.

As for the guitar maybe being a pre-historic, I researched this possibility online before starting this thread, and couldn’t find any examples of early reissues with a similar control rout or placement of the bridge pickup, as well as a number of other differences.
I take better (and more) photos than that when I list my guitars on Craigslist. I’d pass on that one.
There were so many different versions in Gibson's production through the years... The frets were over the binding on some pre-historic. The colour could be a refin. I can't be so categoric just from looking at the pics.
But I agree, there are certain improbabilities that suggest it is a copy: the lack of side wings at the back of the headstock, the logo is too close to the "open book" which is too flat and, most of all, the 2 holes in the control cavity are definitely not standard. The top of the neck looks asymetric near the back of the headstock (at least in the poor lightning conditions).
From what I coud read of the serial #: 9 0063, it implies it could have been made in 1999. On his ad, the seller says it is from 1998, which adds to the suspicion. I would sat away from it... Cheers

Goldtopper

Reaction score
I'm surprised no one has mentioned how wonky the "Les Paul Model" seems to be applied. On a Gibson, that would be silk-screened, and in turn impossible to have the Les and the Paul that cockeyed. That appears to be a waterslide or vinyl.

It's definitely intriguing, because someone clearly spent some time on it. When you look at it, you know there's gotta be some kind of story behind it. It's not Gibson quality, but it's likely head and shoulders above a Chibson.

So fascinating!

Edwardtoscano

Reaction score
Saw this guitar listed on eBay as a Gibson Les Paul. It has some features that would indicate it being a Historic reissue including an ink serial number and ABR-1 bridge, but a couple of things don’t look right to me:

Fretboard binding does not have nibs.
Bridge pickup appears to be mounted unusually far from the bridge.
Control cavity rout looks wrong, and it has 2 holes drilled for the pickup and selector switch wiring to come through instead of 1 channel.
Les Paul Model silk screen font appears thicker than normal, though I suppose this could possibly be an illusion caused by lighting and the gold paint reflecting.
Hard case has the dark red lining seen in 2000s era Custom Shop cases, but it only has a single neck rest instead of 2.

Do any forum members have an opinion or insights on whether this guitar is actually a legit Gibson or not?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392970036418

View attachment 493034 View attachment 493035 View attachment 493036 View attachment 493037 View attachment 493038 View attachment 493039 View attachment 493040
What concerns me, the Seller has ZERO feedback as a Seller. All feedback is as a buyer an almost all within the past 12 months. Says he owned the guitar since 1998. Lifting “style” case. Also serial number can be faked anyone can copy a serial number from another guitar.

acidreign1026

Reaction score
Jeez, I solder better than that. I haven’t seen green caps in a reissue, my ‘58 and ‘60 CS TH have yellow bumblebees. And the color of the back is just wrong.

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Auction listing ended early “because the item is no longer available”, so either the seller became aware there was a problem with the guitar’s authenticity, or they made a private deal to sell it outside the auction. Usually when eBay steps in to ends an auction because it’s been reported as a fake or scam, the listing simply disappears rather than shows up as ‘ended’...

ballou48

Reaction score
Unfortunately the serial number isn’t clear enough to read in the listing photo.

As for the guitar maybe being a pre-historic, I researched this possibility online before starting this thread, and couldn’t find any examples of early reissues with a similar control rout or placement of the bridge pickup, as well as a number of other differences.
PM the seller for the serial #.

Mr.Bill

Reaction score
.... has this been reported to eBay UK?
Auction listing ended early “because the item is no longer available”
It looks like somebody called them out. It's difficult to say if Ebay stepped in though because lately they seem to let everything slide. I stumbled across a "genuine" Gibson Dave Grohl 335 the other day where even the headstock signature was copied (the copies are getting very convincing). The buy it now price was a dead giveaway though...$300. Yeah...riiiigggghhhttt.

CoolRene

Reaction score
Have a look at this one: rather interesting and definitely real this time... boy: there ARE some hidden gems ! ;-)

Latest Threads