Historic Makeovers vs RS Guitarworks

Who do you like better Historic makeovers or RS ?

• Historic Makeovers

Votes: 50 74.6%
  • RS Guitarworks

Votes: 17 25.4%

• Total voters

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I am biased, as I had HM work on my guitar (but I didn't refinish mine) and know they do excellent work.

But from the pix I've seen, so does RS.

If you are going for aging and relicing, I know HM uses the old style dyes and nitro, I'm not sure if RS does the same. That way HM can fade and crack the finish as if it's real, not with razor blades.

Cost is probably also a consideration. I don't know what RS charges.

Big John

great balls of fire
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Go with HM. Nobody shoots a finish better than Dave Johnson. Period.

D

DarkLord

I guess i'm looking for the guy that does the most realistic job and is easy to deal with

Big John

great balls of fire
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
With HM, you deal directly with Kim LaFleur, and you will not find a more honest and approachable guy. His reputation precedes him. Add Dave Johnson's finish work and experience to the equation...game over.

D

DarkLord

With HM, you deal directly with Kim LaFleur, and you will not find a more honest and approachable guy. His reputation precedes him. Add Dave Johnson's finish work and experience to the equation...game over.
So Kim is the front office and Dave is the Maestro ?

dwagar

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Yes, Dave does all the work at his Vintage Restorations shop.

Kim's really a great guy to deal with.

The drawback is they are very busy, you have to allow some time to get it done. Patience is a virtue you know?

D

DarkLord

I'm not know for my patience , How long does it take to get a guitar back from either Dave or RS ?

Darkburst

Reaction score
RS does some nice refinishing, but I think Historic Makeovers does the best aging since it's real checking and fading.

Big John

great balls of fire
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I'm not know for my patience , How long does it take to get a guitar back from either Dave or RS ?
If a quicker turnaround is more important to you than quality, then go with RS.

lp59aholicDon

V.I.P. Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I see the vote so far is very much in favor of Dave Johnson and not RS , It's not because RS is a sponsor on LPF is it ?

You Can Follow The Sweet Cherry Makeovers! - Les Paul Forum
I could give a rats ass what goes on at Lily T*at's Forum, and even if Cogswell or she could swallow an ostrisch egg without choking, I wouldnt be in the least impressed, What DOES impress me is good workmanship vs superior workmanship, and Daves makeovers fall far into the latter, Look at the galleries of both and find somebody who might have had work done by both I could also give a rats ass about relic jobs, I want nice flame and vibrant colors, RS's dont even come close
::RANT Off ::

Mike60

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
...this is a Package A HM shot in 1960 Cherry Sunburst...no relicing or aging...

cain

Reaction score
HM has really got the colors down. His cherry pore filler is dead nuts on. Go look at the pore color they're using on the RS deal on the Cherry thread on the LPF. It's the pink shit Gibson is using again, then they shoot a cherry coat over it, it looks like the old Japanese stuff from the '80's. But, like the guy said, if you're in hurry HM isn't gonna be quick.

thefishingline

Reaction score
What?? :wtf:

Did you guys forget that Chris Mirabella is still alive and well?? No one does a better burst finish as seen from the pics posted last week...but he too is very busy...

I know he does not do conversion work anymore, but refins I believe he still does.:applause:

He did a perfect refin on my 57 conversion and matched the DB gold perfectly and with the aging...then the 52-59 I juyst had done...took 2 years or perhaps 18 months...but it is spot on perfect and he matched a real 59 he has access to exactly!!

Latest Threads