Historic Makeovers True Historic Project

calieng

Reaction score
Looks damn nice!

Thank you!

BTW did you see this one....

Ever since I have been reading your posts I am seeing lefties everywhere I look......I may need to learn to play left handed.

mjross

Reaction score
Thank you!

BTW did you see this one....

Ever since I have been reading your posts I am seeing lefties everywhere I look......I may need to learn to play left handed.
Thanks for the “heads up”! Hoping to get my HM tomorrow, on to the next. Founds a nice old lefty 355! However, that Single Cut looks awfully tempting! Always liked those little guitars!

Last edited:

calieng

Reaction score
Here is a comparison of the factory burst vs the standard faded cherry finish.

i-ZWVB6fG.jpg

calieng

Reaction score
Guitar One delivered today. Wow the difference in finish is pretty amazing. Like looking thru glass into the flame maple now.

Neck is now exactly like current '59 Carmalita.

Well done HM!

Couple quick iPhone pics. Better photos to follow.

IMG_4111.JPG
IMG_4108.JPG

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
As always!
Very nice, congratulations!

moreles

Reaction score
To state the often-repeated obvious: why can't Gibson even approximate the HM treatment so that it's not necessary to strip and rebuild the guitar to get that result? (I know it's a rhetorical question.) I am not a fan of the Murphy Lab products, at least in comparison to HM. Simply put, the HM stuff seems all of a piece and inviting, and the ML stuff looks like an applied treatment. Thanks for sharing these beautiful finishes and improvements.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Gibson’s approach to this is very different from Kim’s. They are trying to produce a production version. Where HM is a lot more personalized.

GearHo

Reaction score
To state the often-repeated obvious: why can't Gibson even approximate the HM treatment so that it's not necessary to strip and rebuild the guitar to get that result? (I know it's a rhetorical question.) I am not a fan of the Murphy Lab products, at least in comparison to HM. Simply put, the HM stuff seems all of a piece and inviting, and the ML stuff looks like an applied treatment. Thanks for sharing these beautiful finishes and improvements.

gibson does so much more volume than HM it is not practical.

one poster asked about price, roughly 5k for a 59 reissue and another 5k for the work from HM.

For 10k, I would try to find an original LP jr, or sell a few guitars and buy vintage.

calieng

Reaction score
Standard makeover is $2500. Includes recarving neck and top. A fair price I think for all the work involved.

mjross

Reaction score
gibson does so much more volume than HM it is not practical.

one poster asked about price, roughly 5k for a 59 reissue and another 5k for the work from HM.

For 10k, I would try to find an original LP jr, or sell a few guitars and buy vintage.
Just purchased my first HM, I’m a fan!

Latest Threads