Historic Makeovers True Historic Project

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
absolutely cannot go wrong with Historic Makeovers. I had them do a '15 TH R9, I was very happy with the end result, they made the neck way better/more accurate than Gibson did. The thing which bugged me was, I shouldn't have to HM a TH R9....but I was glad I did though!

calieng

Reaction score
absolutely cannot go wrong with Historic Makeovers. I had them do a '15 TH R9, I was very happy with the end result, they made the neck way better/more accurate than Gibson did. The thing which bugged me was, I shouldn't have to HM a TH R9....but I was glad I did though!

Yes the neck shape was the main reason I sent them in. Although these two were particularly nice sounding. Definite keepers. That's why I also invested in the logo upgrade. The fretboards were really nice already so did not want to mess with steaming them off and the added cost to install the Brazilian....although one day will come when I wish I did pay extra for the Brazilian I am sure.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
Yes the neck shape was the main reason I sent them in. Although these two were particularly nice sounding. Definite keepers. That's why I also invested in the logo upgrade. The fretboards were really nice already so did not want to mess with steaming them off and the added cost to install the Brazilian....although one day will come when I wish I did pay extra for the Brazilian I am sure.

Yeah I pretty much did he same, sans the logo. I too didn't have them redo the board. There was a time when I was toying with letting them re-do my CC2, which was my best sounding guitar I had, but the neck was just too huge. Had I decided to do it, I would have had them replace the board with nice braz since I would have been torpedoing future resale value, so why not. They may have been able to age is somewhat similar too but in the end it's stock still.

calieng

Reaction score
Yeah I pretty much did he same, sans the logo. I too didn't have them redo the board. There was a time when I was toying with letting them re-do my CC2, which was my best sounding guitar I had, but the neck was just too huge. Had I decided to do it, I would have had them replace the board with nice braz since I would have been torpedoing future resale value, so why not. They may have been able to age is somewhat similar too but in the end it's stock still.

I bought a HM guitar with the board replaced a few years ago and it had a hump in the neck (owner took it back no problem). Not saying it was HM fault - it may have been an issue with that particular guitar - but I always have worried that the neck might shift if you steam the board off. It is a risk at least.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
So looking through this thread… nice fretboard!! And the fretwork from them is always awesome…

as far as aging and coloring you can almost never trust a guy with a camera who doesn’t understand reds and why they act the way they do… so Les Paul photos are nearly always subjective (to me) and until I get a look there is no correct photo.

But looks to me you did well … Having had two done by Kim In the past I was more than pleased both times.

I may have found a candidate (the Ebony R8) but getting my knee done seemed pretty important … prioritized I guess…

mjross

Reaction score
I bought a HM guitar with the board replaced a few years ago and it had a hump in the neck (owner took it back no problem). Not saying it was HM fault - it may have been an issue with that particular guitar - but I always have worried that the neck might shift if you steam the board off. It is a risk at least.

You appear to be very knowledgeable about the high end Les Pauls! Based on a comment I made in response to one of your posts, I got a private message from a very fine gentleman wanting to sell a lefty 2013 “59” Reissue that he had rework done by HM. It’s an HM RDS (not sure what that means) with Brazilian Board and custom ReWind pickups with medium aging.

I know that there are a lot of variables here but I’m trying to get a ballpark idea of what a guitar like this might cost. Been trying to research but I’m not sure what to compare it to, especially since it’s a lefty. I trust this gentleman as I have a guitar that he use to own that he had reworked by RS that is one of my favorite Les Pauls. I know it’s not a lot of info and so many variables, but any thoughts? Thanks for your time!

calieng

Reaction score
You appear to be very knowledgeable about the high end Les Pauls! Based on a comment I made in response to one of your posts, I got a private message from a very fine gentleman wanting to sell a lefty 2013 “59” Reissue that he had rework done by HM. It’s an HM RDS (not sure what that means) with Brazilian Board and custom ReWind pickups with medium aging.

I know that there are a lot of variables here but I’m trying to get a ballpark idea of what a guitar like this might cost. Been trying to research but I’m not sure what to compare it to, especially since it’s a lefty. I trust this gentleman as I have a guitar that he use to own that he had reworked by RS that is one of my favorite Les Pauls. I know it’s not a lot of info and so many variables, but any thoughts? Thanks for your time!

I am actually not that knowledgeable on that but I believe they were just the inhouse builds when someone traded in a guitar towards work or another guitar. Last time I talked with Kim a few months ago I do not believe they had any time to build anymore RDS right now due to too much work lined up already on customer refinishing.

You can check some old prices here:

If I can be of anymore help perhaps PM me if you want some feedback on price etc.

Good luck!

mjross

Reaction score
I am actually not that knowledgeable on that but I believe they were just the inhouse builds when someone traded in a guitar towards work or another guitar. Last time I talked with Kim a few months ago I do not believe they had any time to build anymore RDS right now due to too much work lined up already on customer refinishing.

You can check some old prices here:

If I can be of anymore help perhaps PM me if you want some feedback on price etc.

Good luck!
His price appears to be right in line with the guitars shown in the link you posted. He actually has 12K documented that he is going to forward to me tonight. Thanks again for your time!

calieng

Reaction score
Kim called today to let me know one guitar had been sprayed and the other in the next day or so. Looking forward to the new pics!

Kim is a super nice guy by the way and very accommodating. I really enjoy working with him on these projects.

Sct13

Reaction score
Very accommodating… he will do exactly as you ask, within reason of course… the Brazilian boards he found for me were finished beautifully.

calieng

Reaction score
First update with new paint. Looking forward to seeing the assembled pics.

IMG_6516 copy.png

Sct13

Reaction score
That looks great!

Mike I

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I wanna see it when it's faded some and checked!

That's a killer looking LP!

Gonna age nicely!

calieng

Reaction score
I wanna see it when it's faded some and checked!

That's a killer looking LP!

Gonna age nicely!

That one was the factory burst. The second one will be painted as faded cherry. Probably will have pics of that next one in a week or so.

Thanks!

calieng

Reaction score
More pics of guitar 1 today.

i-s6dN6vm-4K.jpg

i-bbrXTcf-4K.jpg

calieng

Reaction score
One on the way and the second hopefully finished next week. Kim said a little cloudy in FL today so not the normal beauty shots but I will take some when it arrives...

i-JkTKMDT-4K.jpg

i-85rhBfq-4K.jpg

_DSC0008.jpg

Last edited:

Latest Threads