Historic Makeovers True Historic Project

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
This is the color of "Snakebite." This is realistic.

14N.jpg

calieng

Reaction score
Here is the AF and the real one.

You have to take into account lighting and the editing of the photo. If I wanted to play with the contrast and saturation I could get a much closer match.

I can say as the owner of the Custom Shop guitar, it came back looking much better than before. In fairness I did not ask HM to perfectly match it or age it. The guitar had a headstock repair and I just did the minimum to get it refinished so it would be a nice player.

I get it some people do not care for HM. And some people do. I do not have a dog in that fight.

IMG_3934.JPG

20170114-094103-luxify-1980-1919707-2.png

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Here is the AF and the real one.

You have to take into account lighting and the editing of the photo. If I wanted to play with the contrast and saturation I could get a much closer match.

You don't have to "play around" with the contrast and saturation on real Burst photos to get "the color."

I have been photographing guitars for 30+ years, and I do take into account the lighting. (Also, the contrast is jacked up way too high on the original Frehley Burst in that photo. It's very common with that photographer to do that. Almost all of his photos look like that.)

I have seen many HM's in person....and had one done....and the yellow is way off on many.

calieng

Reaction score
You don't have to "play around" with the contrast and saturation on real Burst photos to get "the color."

I have been photographing guitars for 30+ years, and I do take into account the lighting. (Also, the contrast is jacked up way too high on the original Frehley Burst in that photo. It's very common with that photographer to do that. Almost all of his photos look like that.)

I have seen many HM's in person....and had one done....and the yellow is way off on many.

I was refering to matching the two pictures side by side. And yes I agree the contrast has been manipulated high on the original Ace Frehley photo.

If you were trying to say that HM did not match the color to the original correctly than the only real way to compare is to take a picture of both with the same camera in the same lighting conditions.

Otherwise maybe I misunderstood your point. You can't really say anything about color online unless you are looking at a color calibrated monitor and you know how the photo was taken - RAW conversion settings - white balance saturation contrast etc.

Here's the same photo with just contrast bumped to 75% no other changes...kind of looks cherry now - just to make the point of the importance of comparing with the same settings.

Same reason you can never trust photos from certain guitar stores - they enhance the photos a bit.

IMG_3934 copy.jpg

Last edited:

eric ernest

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
If you were trying to say that HM did not match the color to the original correctly than the only real way to compare is to take a picture of both with the same camera in the same lighting conditions.

You can't really say anything about color online unless you are looking at a color calibrated monitor and you know how the photo was taken - RAW conversion settings - white balance saturation contrast etc.

I am a trained graphic designer, and I am very verbose in all things "color relevant." This is not a "monitor" or "mechanics" issue....It's very common for refinish guys get the yellow wrong. I've seen them in person and seen photos of them.

I am very familiar with Uncle Lou and HM's Photography styles and have seen many of the guitars they have photographed in person....like the one HM did for me. HM actually borrowed a Burst of mine for months to create spray samples from.

My business relations ended with HM because they do not fully understand colorant, do not follow written instructions, and produce a product that is often a poor facsimile of an original Burst finish.

calieng

Reaction score
I am a trained graphic designer, and I am very verbose in all things "color relevant." This is not a "monitor" or "mechanics" issue....It's very common for refinish guys get the yellow wrong. I've seen them in person and seen photos of them.

I am very familiar with Uncle Lou and HM's Photography styles and have seen many of the guitars they have photographed in person....like the one HM did for me. HM actually borrowed a Burst of mine for months to create spray samples from.

My business relations ended with HM because they do not fully understand colorant, do not follow written instructions, and produce a product that is often a poor facsimile of an original Burst finish.

Ok that is fine. But for this Ace Frehley guitar it came back very close to the same color only the flames popped a lot more. Anything other than that is just the lighting and exposure of those particular photos for this guitar.

I will report back on my other two True Historics with them when they are finished as to the final colors.

BTW I shoot Leica and Panasonic full frame and have had Fuji Medium Format (beautiful pics but too big as a system). I did wedding photography with a professional photographer in my younger days with a Hasselblad 50mm. So I am following along with your concerns.

Thanks.

HIDDEN

Reaction score

Agreed, they simply don’t know how to properly spray a gradient pattern with the proper shade as it’s supposed to be. Their yellow comes out…different. Not to mention their cherry burst is quite close to clown burst, imho

calieng

Reaction score
Agreed, they simply don’t know how to properly spray a gradient pattern with the proper shade as it’s supposed to be. Their yellow comes out…different. Not to mention their cherry burst is quite close to clown burst, imho

Clown burst? You say that like it is a bad thing? I specifically put "Clown Burst" on the worksheet notes for my last order.

It is back in style again...watch and see. You need to get with the times. You probably are still into tobacco burst. So 1980s and boring...

LOL.

:)

Last edited:

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Nice! It does seem close to a clown burst but if that's what you ordered you got it!

calieng

Reaction score
Nice! It does seem close to a clown burst but if that's what you ordered you got it!

If you are refering to the replica - no it is not even close to a clown burst. Take a look at the indoor pics for a better idea of actual color.

I was just joking around about the Historic Makeovers comments. I have not yet gotten those guitars back. They have just been stripped and new headstock inlay work started. One will be faded cherry burst and the other will be factory burst.

If either came back clown burst I would be giving Kim a call pretty quick. But I really doubt that. Their work on my last project was better than I expected.

You have to judge the work when you are actually holding the guitar in your hands and not from some internet pics that can be way off actual colors and shades. Granted many comments here may be from those who have first hand experience so I do take that under advisement.

Thanks.

Latest Threads