Historic Makeovers NGD

McHenry

Reaction score
Hello,

I have always wanted to send a guitar to Historic Makeovers to keep as my forever guitar and let it age with me. This guitar started off as a 2020 R8 that I purchased from Dave's guitars (great shop). It weighs 7.6 lbs, not chambered. I sent it off to HM soon after receiving it so I'm now getting to bond with it in its finished state, which is fantastic. I went with the Standard package, minus the the neck recarve. I also had Throbak DT-102's (DW) installed while it was there. The finish is their standard faded tobacco, and I just could not be more pleased with the result. Enjoy!

NotScott

Reaction score
Congrats! I have three HMs, the oldest about 10 years old now and they are all getting better and better. Enjoy the journey with yours!

McHenry

Reaction score
So it's like a Murphy Lab? Looks gorgeous!
In a way I guess. HM top carve, more authentic finish that will fade, more accurate back color, and different pickups. This finish has already started checking naturally without being put in a freezer and without any of the finish issues some of the ML guitars have had.
63580A01-B64E-4178-8C62-76DF064B8CF3.jpeg

kewl kat

Reaction score
Wow! Interesting breakdown of the process.

Beautiful end product. Enjoy it! :applause:

Andrew1225

Reaction score
I’ve got to say, that one looks real nice.
Definitely would be my pride and joy!

Cory

Reaction score
Looks fantastic - why can’t Gibson do that back color on their historics??? The dark blood red backs with a simulated faded top make zero freaking sense to me - it drives me bonkers - I had a HM done to one of my R9’s a few years back - fantastic fit and finish, just couldn’t jive with the top - too much green in their lemon burst finish (again, just my opinion - I’m sure others love it) - it was between a lemon burst and the faded tobacco finish when I had it done - I feel like I’d still have it if I would have gone for the faded tobacco - yours looks so great!

McHenry

Reaction score
Looks fantastic - why can’t Gibson do that back color on their historics??? The dark blood red backs with a simulated faded top make zero freaking sense to me - it drives me bonkers - I had a HM done to one of my R9’s a few years back - fantastic fit and finish, just couldn’t jive with the top - too much green in their lemon burst finish (again, just my opinion - I’m sure others love it) - it was between a lemon burst and the faded tobacco finish when I had it done - I feel like I’d still have it if I would have gone for the faded tobacco - yours looks so great!
Thanks! Couldn’t agree more. I was pleasantly surprised with the back color and how “right” it looked when I got it back. There’s just a little green in mine believe it or not, but I can only see it at certain angles.

JUNAE9

Reaction score
Friend, how long did it take between the
beginning of the project and the delivery of the guitar?
The finish is only VOS? Beautiful !
Congratulations !!!

McHenry

Reaction score
Friend, how long did it take between the
beginning of the project and the delivery of the guitar?
The finish is only VOS? Beautiful !
Congratulations !!!
Roughly 4 months! I had the standard package which includes their vintage patina, which I assume is their version of VOS. I didn’t have any aging done so the checking is just a natural feature of the lacquer they use.

strat1701

El Diablo Cazador De Hombres
Reaction score
Always had nothing but great things to say about historic makeovers, I loved what they did for me.

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful! Congrats!

Latest Threads