Historic Kluson Lubrication

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
You seem determined, but you have a lot of experienced people here telling you what’s up.
Just to be clear, what I said above it’s not coming from me, but from Kluson’s customer support.

Last edited:

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Just to be clear, what I said above it’s not coming from me, but from Kluson’s customer support.
I missed the last part of your post about opening them. That makes sense, and if done carefully MIGHT help, but in all my years of playing smoky ass bars, on boats, and everywhere in between, I have never had dirty tuners. At least not to the point where it affected turning it.

It's possible I guess, but seems unlikely.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
I missed the last part of your post about opening them. That makes sense, and if done carefully MIGHT help, but in all my years of playing smoky ass bars, on boats, and everywhere in between, I have never had dirty tuners. At least not to the point where it affected turning it.

Absolutely. I also never had to lubricate any of those tuners, in 33+ years.

Those tuners are meant to just be fine for decades as they are, but if something goes wrong, like if it gets spilled with liquids, or it does get rusty for some reason, the only way to restore it's to clean up all the gears and fill will grease again (which is what you do if you'd need to restore some vintage/original rusted Kluson). For the normal use we all do (or we should...), those are things that you should leave alone.

If for any reason (still official from Kluson), you'd need to restore the grease, you need to use the white lithium grease, which is a grease that does produce oils when it get squeezed in the gears, then it does stabilize its viscosity again.

Generic oils are just partially evaporating (solvents), and then moving by gravity and accumulating on the bottom of the chassis...with dust and gunk. That is the worse thing you could do to any vintage tuner.

Thrill

Reaction score
Tuners dont need lots of oil, especially closed tuners like a Kluson or something.

But oiling them isnt "hard". Theres no science to it. Just put a drop of oil in the hole and then wind the tuner a bit to work it in. I use some kind of oil I got from stewmac a couple years ago, its in a small pen like tube with a needle point kind of applicator tip. When ever the tuners feel stiff or something, I just put a small drop in the Kluson hole of each tuner. Works fine, no mess (unless you flood it and it seeps out), and you cant really fuck it up.

Apache Crumb

Reaction score
Graphite is the correct lubricant for guitar tuners. Used it on my 59 Les Paul Jr. Works like a charm. It's powdered and just a small puff in each hole will do the trick. No need to worry about damage. I'm surprised it was not posted earlier?

Luboy

Reaction score
You seem determined, but you have a lot of experienced people here telling you what’s up.

Tuners don’t get “clogged”. It’s not a toilet. Putting shit in there, (grease, Vaseline, naphta) can only further damage other things, but it won’t do shit for your tuners.

As far as them not turning smoothly....gears can get stripped, peg shafts bent, etc., none of which lube or cleaning of any kind will do any good.
thanks for the advice, but tuners do get clogged up with all kinds of dirt. experienced it first hand. putting lubricants in there after cleaning them up will result in smoother action. sorry for coming across as rude, but i would rather take Dan Erlewine's advice here. my main question was about the holes, and i haven't been able to get a reply here, nor have i found any info about it anywhere else, so i'll stick to my assumption for those.

Luboy

Reaction score

again, experiences can vary.

Luboy

Reaction score
Absolutely. I also never had to lubricate any of those tuners, in 33+ years.

Those tuners are meant to just be fine for decades as they are, but if something goes wrong, like if it gets spilled with liquids, or it does get rusty for some reason, the only way to restore it's to clean up all the gears and fill will grease again (which is what you do if you'd need to restore some vintage/original rusted Kluson). For the normal use we all do (or we should...), those are things that you should leave alone.

If for any reason (still official from Kluson), you'd need to restore the grease, you need to use the white lithium grease, which is a grease that does produce oils when it get squeezed in the gears, then it does stabilize its viscosity again.

Generic oils are just partially evaporating (solvents), and then moving by gravity and accumulating on the bottom of the chassis...with dust and gunk. That is the worse thing you could do to any vintage tuner.
I suspect the tuner unreliability on VOS guitars is that they come pre-aged. exposure to whatever aging methods they use probably rusts some of them up on the inside. i've already seen this on all of the historics i have played. as i said before, it is a non-issue at all currently, but i can tell that after some years a few of the tuners on my LP will need to be cleaned up. removing the tuners is not the problem, i was curious about the blocked holes.

Luboy

Reaction score
alright, I'll stick to Dan Erlewine's literature and will contact the man himself rather than be mocked here for no reason. thanks for the advice either way.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
I suspect the tuner unreliability on VOS guitars is that they come pre-aged. exposure to whatever aging methods they use probably rusts some of them up on the inside. i've already seen this on all of the historics i have played. as i said before, it is a non-issue at all currently, but i can tell that after some years a few of the tuners on my LP will need to be cleaned up. removing the tuners is not the problem, i was curious about the blocked holes.
I don't see any mocking going on, but c'mon. You are dealing with people that have not only played many Historics, but also, like in my case, have OWNED several (WELL over 100) Historics. Not only that, I gig them....not to say I abuse them, but they do get used to the point where if dirty tuners were a problem, I'd have probably experienced it by now.

Now in this post, you are claiming that you can forsee the future? You can somehow tell your tuners will need cleaning even though there are zero issues now? LOL. You are kind of asking for any off handed comments that you are getting.

You actually DID get the information you were seeking here....you just don't like it. As PeirM said....your axe, do what you want, and good luck!

And by the way...they don't "Age" tuners on the VOS guitars, so, there is that......

Last edited:

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
thanks for the advice, but tuners do get clogged up with all kinds of dirt. experienced it first hand. putting lubricants in there after cleaning them up will result in smoother action. sorry for coming across as rude, but i would rather take Dan Erlewine's advice here. my main question was about the holes, and i haven't been able to get a reply here, nor have i found any info about it anywhere else, so i'll stick to my assumption for those.
Where are you playing/storing your guitars that dirt clogs tuners? No need to apologize...you aren't coming across as rude, you are just coming across and uninformed.

DanD

Reaction score
This page:

http://www.dualco-inc.com/products.push.html

Has your grease gun.

These guns use 'needle' tips for fitting thru your tuner back hole.

I've seen the proper fitting, which is a small circle that fits in the tuner back and has a pin hole in the center, but i'm pretty sure that fitting is no longer widely used.

Irregardless, the pin hole fitting will apply plenty of grease for the gear.

Subterfuge

Reaction score
unlike the situation with engine oils, greases cannot be mixed safely. What is critical is not what type of use the grease is designed for, but what type of filler it uses. Some fillers (thickeners) will collapse if mixed with a grease that contains a filler of a different chemical type, and the grease will lose its structure. In general avoid mixing different chemistries. Brand or function are not the issue, chemistry is.

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Timely thread for me as I just got a Jr with a seized tuner. I loosened it with WD40. It spins now but won't tighten with a string/any tension, just rotates and makes a clicking noise, so I ordered new tuners. Now I have to wait a month for them to arrive.

My Les Paul Classifieds