Historic Kluson Lubrication

Luboy

Reaction score
Been thinking to oil the Klusons on my R8 sometime soon. However, the holes on the back of the tuners seem to be blocked (seen this on many other LPs too). Do you have to puncture them, or is there another way? Do you guys have any preferred lubricants? Regards, L.

dc007

Premium Member
Reaction score
Interested in the replies. I have never oiled a tuner. Did not know you were supposed to

Sct13

Gold Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
you shouldn't need to ...the gears are brass, brass shouldn't need lubrication. (then why are there holes?) you might ask.

At least I'm pretty sure they are brass.

zombiwoof

Reaction score
I used to use 3-in-1 Oil, just a slight squirt in the hole. I think some of the Kluson clones have a fake hole that isn't an opening.
Al

kakerlak

Reaction score
I'd leave them alone, rather than risk getting oil drips and stains inside your case and/or oil seeping its way into the wood of the headstock via the shaft and mounting screw holes. Worst risk in doing nothing is they eventually wear out and need replaced -- that's not the end of the world.

Sharky

Reaction score
oil seeping its way into the wood of the headstock via the shaft and mounting screw holes
and believe me, it will creep under the lacquer and damage the finish and a small amount of oil is able to cover a huge surface

Last edited:

dsmcl77

Reaction score
I used sewing machine oïl on my 80's/90's guitars, with all kind of wood and lacquer (incl. LP's) and never had any problems of any sorts.

Luboy

Reaction score
i can remove them before oiling to avoid damage. thanks for the lube suggestions. some of the gears are just stiffer than the others. just not sure about the holes. i don't think the stock tuners on a reissue are fakes. also, i would rather keep the stock parts than swap them out.

Sharky

Reaction score
I used sewing machine oïl on my 80's/90's guitars, with all kind of wood and lacquer (incl. LP's) and never had any problems of any sorts.
there is a picture somewhere in the deep forum where it's shown. Oil bleeding in between wood and lacquer at the tuners. It doesn't have to happen, but it can, so taking them of is maybe better

dsmcl77

Reaction score
there is a picture somewhere in the deep forum where it's shown. Oil bleeding in between wood and lacquer at the tuners. It doesn't have to happen, but it can, so taking them of is maybe better
It could be, It didn't happened to me. Maybe pure luck.

Of course, I am talking of a drop or two, not a shower of oïl.
I agree, taking them of is safer.

blackie2

Reaction score
Take them off and put some graphite on them if you just have to do something to ease your mind but you’d be better off just replacing them if they just suck.

Left Paw

Reaction score
I wouldn’t oil them. If you are convinced it needs to be done, take it to your tech to have it done right.

Last edited:

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
I wouldn’t oil them. If you are convinced it needs to be done, tack it to your tech to have it done right.
+1

Oil also means more gunk and dust being grabbed and trapped in the gears.

Luboy

Reaction score
thanks for the advice. i've already seen the Dan Erlewine video and will probably follow his steps if the tuners ever get too stiff. i was mainly wondering about the blocked off access holes, but my guess is they have to be punctured.

kakerlak

Reaction score
thanks for the advice. i've already seen the Dan Erlewine video and will probably follow his steps if the tuners ever get too stiff. i was mainly wondering about the blocked off access holes, but my guess is they have to be punctured.
I don't think the factory holes are blocked off (unless they're sealing these internally now?) -- more likely it's just plugged w/ factory lubricant having been wiped across the opening from the backside by the L-R action of the worm gear and/or dust, etc. settling into the hole from the front side.

Hard to imagine these going all that stiff -- they're more often a little loose/sloppy in my experience. You might get somewhere just running one back and forth a while with a stringwinder. Might also loosen the mounting screws and see if the tuner wants to resettle in a slightly different spot, as you could have extra tension from the string post pressing against the side of the bushing -- that's something I've definitely had happen before, especially on guitars with old strip tuners.

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
Sometimes the tuners just don't turn smoothly. Oiling them is not going to help your problem. You'd be further ahead and less risky to just replace them.

Luboy

Reaction score
Sometimes the tuners just don't turn smoothly. Oiling them is not going to help your problem. You'd be further ahead and less risky to just replace them.
i know that naphta can help unclog them. they're not bad at all, just unevenly stiff/loose. won't be doing tuner maintenance anytime soon, still curious about the holes. might be grime, but looks like metal.

PierM

Premium Member
Reaction score
i know that naphta can help unclog them. they're not bad at all, just unevenly stiff/loose. won't be doing tuner maintenance anytime soon, still curious about the holes. might be grime, but looks like metal.
The hole is open, and what you see behind it's just the shaft gear facing the hole. If you insert a piece of "e" string, while rotating the tuning peg, you'll get the vaseline grease flowing on the string.

As I said before, never spray any oil there, as they are meant to be permanent greased tuners. If you spray oils you get an awful mix of vaseline and oils (and Vaseline will lose its viscosity), which are just a trap for the dust.

Technically, that hole it's a weep hole to let the excessive grease flowing out, when they "seal" the tuner. It is not intended to be a lubrication hole, as the tuners are not meant to be lubricated once closed.

In the case of a problem, you should replace them, or open them from the back, clean them properly, and refill with vaseline grease (or white lithium grease) and close again.

Last edited:

freebyrd 69

Premium Member
Reaction score
You seem determined, but you have a lot of experienced people here telling you what’s up.

Tuners don’t get “clogged”. It’s not a toilet. Putting shit in there, (grease, Vaseline, naphta) can only further damage other things, but it won’t do shit for your tuners.

As far as them not turning smoothly....gears can get stripped, peg shafts bent, etc., none of which lube or cleaning of any kind will do any good.