Historic Juniors/TV Models Worth It?

Dilver

Reaction score
I’m seriously gassing for an Historic Junior or TV model after spending a lot of time with my 2018 Junior LE, which I love. I think I know the answer to this, but would I notice a significant difference in playability going from the USA Junior to the Historic? I’d still keep my current Junior.

If I bought an Historic I’d get it used to save some $$$ but any thoughts on specific years to avoid?

thanks!

THDNUT

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
They're worth it if you can find a really good deal like I did. I think MAP on those is $3700 now.

I bought a mint 2006 CS LP Special used at a GC locally in 2011 for $1800 out the door. It's finished in a red color.

For that price ($1650 + tax) I didn't get the COA, case candy or the CS case, but I got a brand new LP Standard case with it. I think GC kept the CS case to sell to someone else, but I was happy they knocked $100 off when I complained. They originally had the guitar priced at $1750.

Now, you'll be lucky to find a CS LP Special for less than $2800.

OBX351

Reaction score
I can't answer the years to avoid question, but I can tell you what I look for:
  • Weight of the guitar, I try to buy guitars, generally speaking, at or under 8.5 lbs
  • I can feel the vibration of the strings in the neck when I strum the guitar
  • How it sounds when played acoustically - I look for loud and, depending on the top wood, bright
  • Neck size, I don't like the modern Gibson 60s neck shape, I prefer big rounded neck
  • right of refusal when buying online - not simply a guarantee it's as advertised but a real right of refusal if I/you don't like the guitar I can return it within a period of time, usually 24 to 48 hours and you pay for insured shipping both ways if you return it.
I've bought several guitars sight unseen but asked the above questions and I've been very happy. I have also bought guitars that met the above criteria but didn't have good tone. Each time I switched out the electronics and put in a vintage style PIO harness and called Jason Lollar or Lindy Fralin and bought replacement pickup(s). So far I've been very happy with every reissue guitar that I've purchase over the past 15 years.

DanD

Reaction score
There was a newer Special in the Member ads...

I wouldn't consider a Special or Junior over 7.5 pounds. 8.5 works good for a Historic LP but Specials should be much lighter.

Last edited:

ManicPete

Reaction score
Following. I am looking at a Custom Shop LP Junior at the moment on Reverb. Want a p90 guitar so bad and love the one p90 look. I have a R8 and it just feels amazing. Paying that little bit extra for CS is worth it for me but of course everyone is different.

Dilver

Reaction score
Cool Special, Victor. Did you own a USA Special before acquiring that?

the_lawyer

Reaction score
I played a brand new CS junior dc last week and I was not blown away, regardless of the price.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Found mine second hand.
Could not be any happier with it.

2017 Custom Shop '58 Reissue LP Junior DC

Now I see why you wanted your DSG to match.

That's a perfect match.

LtDave32

Desert Star Guitars
Super Mod
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I will say that the VOS Historics are the nicest Jr's and Specials to ever come out.

All of what I've seen have been top-notch.

Zoli77

Reaction score
I just played a 60 jr today at the price of an ML :). Played real nice too....all it had was a refret..... but honestly I don’t know much about vintage prices

Latest Threads